Orbea Rise EMTB - 16.2KG Superlight

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
one day we will be able to "calibrate" our own bikes, so we can use whatever batter pack we want and make adjustments based on how you want to ride.

You pretty much can today, for bikes with a battery extender option. I haven't seen the Rise software, but I suspect it's very similar to what other EP8 bikes can do in terms of boost profile, of course with a cap on torque at 65Nm.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
ACD01D29-F23D-438B-A753-25845EE328FA.png
03C999FE-E253-4799-8FF6-55235E456921.png

Creaky

Dec 4, 2020
UK
Hi there,
new to EMTBs + forum.
I have heard from bike shop that there have been some problems with the EP8s - cracking and failing - and that the launch of Orbea Rise consequently significantly delayed.
This article appears to corroborate this: What’s The Holdup With Shimano’s New eMTB Motor?
Has anyone heard anything further?
Are the release dates for the Rise on the Orbea website realistic?
I haven't got an MTB or EMTB at the moment (thanks to burglars) so thinking Levo SL if the wait is too long/unpredictable.
Many thanks

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi there,
new to EMTBs + forum.
I have heard from bike shop that there have been some problems with the EP8s - cracking and failing - and that the launch of Orbea Rise consequently significantly delayed.
This article appears to corroborate this: What’s The Holdup With Shimano’s New eMTB Motor?
Has anyone heard anything further?
Are the release dates for the Rise on the Orbea website realistic?
I haven't got an MTB or EMTB at the moment (thanks to burglars) so thinking Levo SL if the wait is too long/unpredictable.
Many thanks

That article was back in September - some EP8 powered bikes are already being delivered it seems: Shimano EP8 300ks In - EMTB Forums

All the dates I see on the Orbea website seem to be for Sep 2021, so still a long way away ...

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I got mine a couple of weeks ago in Spain, working perfectly and a very nice bike! Rides very smooth. It is not as powerful as other ebikes but you don't need it!

IMG_4537.jpg

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Yes! It is an m10. 300km already on it!
Some thoughts:

- feels amazing, you dont notice the motor and feels really smooth
- battery lasts very similar to a 500wh one
- shifting is very smooth also
- m10 is 18.5kg so not so light compared to other ebikes with carbon frames
- motor is powerful but not enought for some very tough uphill riding. My giant with syncdrive pro motor is more powerful
- this bikes requires high cadences to give you a good support so it is not recommended if you need high assist on low cadences
- it is very fun to ride, much more than the giant because of the geometry and weight

summary: recommended if you want similar feelings to normal bikes, not recommended if you want high power and range.

ask me any questions you want!

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
Some thoughts:

- motor is powerful but not enought for some very tough uphill riding. My giant with syncdrive pro motor is more powerful
- this bikes requires high cadences to give you a good support so it is not recommended if you need high assist on low cadences
- it is very fun to ride, much more than the giant because of the geometry and weight

summary: recommended if you want similar feelings to normal bikes, not recommended if you want high power and range.

Thanks for the summary all very useful ? Glad you like it. Actually I’m still happy with the 18.5kg weight and as you say, it’s how it rides that is important. I hope to get mine in February ?

Some thoughts:

Does it jump well and is it as playful as the Levo SL (if you have tested one of those)?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I dont jump usually with my bikes (I prefer to ride uphill with ebikes) so I can't comment on that point.
It is much more powerful that the levo sl (I just tested it some minutes), so I think this bike is better in almost every aspect (it is only my opinion so please take it carefully)

Mine came with the 140mm front, because the 150mm was not available but it is fine and enough for me.

I think the motor noise is confusing everyone. This is the more silent and smooth motor I have ever tested when pedaling. The noise everybody is talking about is a small clack that sounds whenever the motor disengages after having engage (stop pedaling or pedaling backwards). The only issue is that when riding downhill you tend to move the pedals forward and backward a little and frequently so you can hear the clack noise continuously but only if you concentrate on it because the rocks and wheels will sound a lot more!

Istari

Jan 6, 2021
Poland
Thanks for the review and congratulations on a purchase.
I would like to ask you one more thing about the Orbea Rise - how deep can you push the dropper post in to the seattube? (in cm)

I ordered an Orbea Rise size L through MyO with a Fox Transfer 175mm dropper (this dropper post insertion inside seattube is 29cm) but now I'm not sure if it can be pushed all the way in? (I'm 181cm tall and 83cm inseam) So I'm considering changing to a 150mm dropper.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I would like to ask you one more thing about the Orbea Rise - how deep can you push the dropper post in to the seattube? (in cm)

I ordered an Orbea Rise size L through MyO with a Fox Transfer 175mm dropper (this dropper post insertion inside seattube is 29cm) but now I'm not sure if it can be pushed all the way in? (I'm 181cm tall and 83cm inseam) So I'm considering changing to a 150mm dropper.
Hi!
I am sorry this my first bike with a dropper and I am still learning so it was adjusted at the lbs and I dont want to mess with it yet...

I am 1.85 and I also ordered the L size. It fits me ok but it is on the limit. The post had to be inserted almost all the way in to fit me so maybe you should consider the 150mm one.

cheers!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

Page 38 of this document lists some maximum and minimum saddle heights which might help you: https://www.orbea.com/downloads/products/RISE_2021_BLUEPAPER_ES-EN.pdf

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
one quick question, you mentioned that it weighed in at 18.2kg. I thought it was supposed to be 16.2kg? That is a big difference? is the 16kg only the top model?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
That's it... only the top model comes with carbon wheels and top components that makes it weight 16kg

And that is for the m10, the m20 weights 19kg more or less

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
It’s the M-Ltd that’s 16kg with lightweight tyres & carbon wheels & more XC components to get that weight

stebrusca

May 12, 2019
italy
Hi! This is my Rise M20 size L from Italy. Only M20 frame... :) . Brake Magura MT7, bar Pro carbon, cassette XTR 10-51, shift XTR, chain XT, WCS grips, saddle SLR superflow boost , pedals Look Xtrak carbon, Fox 36 Factory, Fox DPx2 Factory, Fox Transfer Factory, screws wherever. I'm waiting wheelset CarbonCore with hubs DT350, rims 29 mm inner and 35 mm external ( and disc brake Magura 180+180 HC). Original weight 19kg, target weight 17.8 kg. Stefano.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-06 at 15.47.17.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 10.59.36.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 13.09.46.jpeg

Last edited:

kimochi

Feb 16, 2021
California
Hello,
Wonder if anybody knows the dropper post max insertion length on a medium frame? Trying to see if a longer dropper will fit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles