Orbea rise coil shock and angle adjust headset

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
My Orbea Rise is supposed to arrive in a couple weeks. I would love a slightly slacker head angle and I’m a fan of coil shocks. Has anyone tried either of these, and if so, what are your opinions?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Cant remember where it is, prob the rise thread, but someone long stroked one and mulletized it. 170/163, coil w offset bushings and i guess thatd be a couple degrees slacker. Quick to swap the air and 9r rear wheel back on too

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Cant remember where it is, prob the rise thread, but someone long stroked one and mulletized it. 170/163, coil w offset bushings and i guess thatd be a couple degrees slacker. Quick to swap the air and 9r rear wheel back on too

So like you said in the other thread in theory you could just swap your shock for different days like you would tyres for different terrain kind of thing?

I believe to get 163 on the rear needs the 216x63 size also?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
The stock head angle is 65.5 - that's pretty slack already for a trail bike. Much past that you're getting into a sluggish handling front end at "normal" speeds. Are you planning to use your Rise more for bike park and/or DH stuff or more XC-ish stuff? Keep in mind that with the motor and the weight it's already gonna understeer/push a little, and you'll be compounding that by slacking it out more.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
So like you said in the other thread in theory you could just swap your shock for different days like you would tyres for different terrain kind of thing?

I believe to get 163 on the rear needs the 216x63 size also?
Youll know more on that. Like you mentioned, i just saw it on Mike's build. I sent a pm to you. First pm i forgot about the coil fork thing so the 2nd pm is a repeat with the coil fork thing added. Im not super up to date on current coil fork mods. Curious though

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The stock head angle is 65.5 - that's pretty slack already for a trail bike. Much past that you're getting into a sluggish handling front end at "normal" speeds. Are you planning to use your Rise more for bike park and/or DH stuff or more XC-ish stuff? Keep in mind that with the motor and the weight it's already gonna understeer/push a little, and you'll be compounding that by slacking it out more.
Just a question. In the past ive liked somewhere between 65 and 65.5. With the new fork offset offerings it seems like im not having the wheel flop i had , on a trail bike, when the head angle was less than 65. I guess tge steeper seat angles help control wheel flop on slacker head angles. My decoy doesnt have a super steep seat angle and im now in the 63ish degree range on it and its been a great trail bike and not a ton of reach. Im thinking its the fork offset controling wheel push

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Just a question. In the past ive liked somewhere between 65 and 65.5. With the new fork offset offerings it seems like im not having the wheel flop i had , on a trail bike, when the head angle was less than 65. I guess tge steeper seat angles help control wheel flop on slacker head angles. My decoy doesnt have a super steep seat angle and im now in the 63ish degree range on it and its been a great trail bike and not a ton of reach. Im thinking its the fork offset controling wheel push

It certainly has an effect. I can't speak to how seat angles control wheel flop, but I'd think that shifts weight bias towards getting more weight over the front wheel, which is needed to overcome the plow/understeer effect.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
It certainly has an effect. I can't speak to how seat angles control wheel flop, but I'd think that shifts weight bias towards getting more weight over the front wheel, which is needed to overcome the plow/understeer effect.
Good point. The shorter top tube on the decoy also gets the body over the front to control that too.
N3ed the steep seat angle to winch that heavy steam powered bike up the mt. I like a more reasonable 75 or 76 degree seat angle on the emtb. More active on the bike looking for fun lines on the up with the E rather than winch mode trying to turn a crank over

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

about 3:16 is my favourite part of Stainburn, section called Warren Boulder. So this would be trails mainly, I’m aiming to hit this a lot before I go to Skiddaw which is my kind of personal challenge!

I like the big days out, 30km is a big day out for me ?...but that kind of XC stuff can be pretty gnarly and rocky at times. I like some of the DH enduro appeal as this is where I struggle the most, steep dh tech I can’t manage on my Orbea Wild but I seem to fair much better on the rise with weaker brakes/discs etc.

I’m still open to giving my air a go, or at worst just smashpot the fork but I’m fairly certain better suspension improves your riding ability inline with practice, my performance increased loads on the demo rise bike!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I like the big days out, 30km is a big day out for me ?...but that kind of XC stuff can be pretty gnarly and rocky at times. I like some of the DH enduro appeal as this is where I struggle the most, steep dh tech I can’t manage on my Orbea Wild but I seem to fair much better on the rise with weaker brakes/discs etc.

I’m still open to giving my air a go, or at worst just smashpot the fork but I’m fairly certain better suspension improves your riding ability inline with practice, my performance increased loads on the demo rise bike!

Sweet trails! Would love to ride those someday...

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I take it your saying 65.5 is best for XC and park/Dh better around 64 kind of thing? Be nice if there would be an easy way to adjust the geo depending in the day

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles