Orbea Rise , anyone seen one yet ?

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I'm riding them in stock configuration right now and it seems fine for the dry, dry, DRY desert that I ride. The only mud I ever see is in my own back yard for about 5 minutes after the sprinklers turn off, then it's dry again. Most of what we have out here is loose over hard pack. No tire in the world gives you much better traction on that garbage.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Is anybody running their fork at 160mm and will this void the warranty? Normally bike Mfg's only allow + 10mm and with the other models at 140, 160mm is +20. Just curious.

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
Is anybody running their fork at 160mm and will this void the warranty? Normally bike Mfg's only allow + 10mm and with the other models at 140, 160mm is +20. Just curious.

If you already have the 150mm, then 160mm would only be +10. So I would think that would be ok within the limits. But I have no idea really. Just a guess.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

The issue isn't the travel, per se, but the axle-to-crown measurement. The Rise blue book specs this at 561mm. The Fox 36 Factory is 567 +/- 5.0mm. Right on the limit. Personally I'd be comfortable with it, but you do risk warranty issues.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
The issue isn't the travel, per se, but the axle-to-crown measurement. The Rise blue book specs this at 561mm. The Fox 36 Factory is 567 +/- 5.0mm. Right on the limit. Personally I'd be comfortable with it, but you do risk warranty issues.
I would be installing a Lyrik, which has a longer ATC than the Fox 36. Easy enough to install a 150mm air shaft, but wanted to ask.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
So what's the overall consensus/recommendation on decent tyre choice for the Rise?

Appreciate it depends on what you are riding in, but is there a suggestion that would provide a decent rolling tyre with good grip (excluding really wet/muddy conditions which I appreciate needs something more grippy)?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
So what's the overall consensus/recommendation on decent tyre choice for the Rise?

Appreciate it depends on what you are riding in, but is there a suggestion that would provide a decent rolling tyre with good grip (excluding really wet/muddy conditions which I appreciate needs something more grippy)?

I'm gonna put Forekasters on mine after the OEM tires wear a bit.

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA

I run dissectors front and rear...i figured it was designed with a dissector up front...they are fast rolling and have good bite so I tried one in the rear as well...no complaints at all...

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I run dissectors front and rear...i figured it was designed with a dissector up front...they are fast rolling and have good bite so I tried one in the rear as well...no complaints at all...
That’s what I run. Put stock on back and bought 2.6 for front. I asked orbea about running a coil and they suggested either the dps or dpx2. It was kinda a generic answer. My coils been fine thus far. Great bike.

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
Indeed it's really hard to do a perfect test for that. They both ended the course at approximately the same time. I had to put more effort on the Rise, but it isn't really noticeable. Rise manages really well the power.
Just had my first proper ride on my M10. Went out with 2 friends, one on SC Bullitt with EP8 and other on Cannondale Moterra with Bosch Gen 4, both 630wh batteries. The 2 guys I was with are both heavier than me by 10-15kg and not as fit. We rode 23.63k with 843m elevation gain in 2hrs 39mins. Conditions were not too bad with some mud and a little snow but a lot of good granite rock too. Elevation profiles were straight up and downs, not much trail. I rode in Trail 80%, Eco 10% and Boost 10%. This is my first e-bike so the power in boost feels crazy. By the end the Cannondale was out of battery, the SC had 8% and I had 31% left!!! I had been worried about range and have an extender on order but may cancel. With an extender you could do a massive day out however. On some very steep climbs I was dropped a little but only by 20-30 secs so nobody waiting for me. On the downs the bike is very capable. The runs were a mixture of red trails, black natural enduro and an orange DH run. I never felt like I needed more travel and was quicker than both the other guys by a margin but I am a bit more experienced. All in all I am so happy I got this bike and not a full fat as I got a good workout but on a full fat would not have worked nearly so hard. I am 53 and pretty fit. In 5yrs I may go FF but for now the Rise is plenty powerful enough for me. Oh, and it goes on roof of my car with my Sea Sucker easily so no need for expensive towbar etc.

Bikes.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Oct 30, 2020
Northern Ireland
Just had my first proper ride on my M10. Went out with 2 friends, one on SC Bullitt with EP8 and other on Cannondale Moterra with Bosch Gen 4, both 630wh batteries. The 2 guys I was with are both heavier than me by 10-15kg and not as fit. We rode 23.63k with 843m elevation gain in 2hrs 39mins. Conditions were not too bad with some mud and a little snow but a lot of good granite rock too. Elevation profiles were straight up and downs, not much trail. I rode in Trail 80%, Eco 10% and Boost 10%. This is my first e-bike so the power in boost feels crazy. By the end the Cannondale was out of battery, the SC had 8% and I had 31% left!!! I had been worried about range and have an extender on order but may cancel. With an extender you could do a massive day out however. On some very steep climbs I was dropped a little but only by 20-30 secs so nobody waiting for me. On the downs the bike is very capable. The runs were a mixture of red trails, black natural enduro and an orange DH run. I never felt like I needed more travel and was quicker than both the other guys by a margin but I am a bit more experienced. All in all I am so happy I got this bike and not a full fat as I got a good workout but on a full fat would not have worked nearly so hard. I am 53 and pretty fit. In 5yrs I may go FF but for now the Rise is plenty powerful enough for me. Oh, and it goes on roof of my car with my Sea Sucker easily so no need for expensive towbar etc.

View attachment 54610

View attachment 54611
Damn thats a nice custom colour combo! Have the basic m10 green combo myself.

What profile where you in? Profile 1 or profile 2?

I've only ridden in profile 2 so far but may switch to profile 1 tomorrow because I'm going out with a few analogue bikes

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
Damn thats a nice custom colour combo! Have the basic m10 green combo myself.

What profile where you in? Profile 1 or profile 2?

I've only ridden in profile 2 so far but may switch to profile 1 tomorrow because I'm going out with a few analogue bikes
Hi Chris, that was in Profile 2. I have not tried Profile 1 yet as only been out with the FF boys so far.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I've ridden quite a bit on both profiles now. Profile 1 is definitely more tame. If I ride in profile 1 with my son on his FP Wild, I find that most of the time I'm on trail setting. Riding in profile 2 with him, I can keep it on eco most of the time and use trail occasionally. Battery consumption seem about equal comparing profile 1 trail to profile 2 eco. I haven't looked carefully at the E-Tube app so see exactly where the settings are in the 2 profiles, and I haven't tweaked the settings at all within the profiles at this time. I don't know that I feel the need to at all. My last ride with my son he had his Wild on eco most of the time and I was in profile 2 eco most of the time. I used about 10% less battery than he did. I kept up with him just fine even though I'm an old goat and he's very fit and 28 years younger than me. I'm pretty impressed with the battery management of the Rise.

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah

View attachment 54610

View attachment 54611
Congrats for the bike! And yes, the battery life is amazing.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London

View attachment 54610

View attachment 54611
That’s a pretty rad set up for transportation of the bike - I’ve got a glass pano roof but must admit I’d be nervous having the bike on sucker pads attached to it - not sure how you’ve got the bike up there too though much easier chucking 18kg onto the roof than a 25kg FF !???

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Congrats on the new ride. I have the same white color. Great bike! You'll love it. Make sure to check the crank bolts like Rick warned and also play around with the profiles and settings.

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
That’s a pretty rad set up for transportation of the bike - I’ve got a glass pano roof but must admit I’d be nervous having the bike on sucker pads attached to it - not sure how you’ve got the bike up there too though much easier chucking 18kg onto the roof than a 25kg FF !???
Hi Phil, I have used the Sea Sucker on my pano roof for 3yrs now with my regular 14kg bike and sometimes 2. I was apprehensive about using it for the Rise but had it out about 10 times now without any issues. My car is a Mercedes E class coupe so not very high roof and easy to lift the bike on and off.

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
Congrats on the new ride. I have the same white color. Great bike! You'll love it. Make sure to check the crank bolts like Rick warned and also play around with the profiles and settings.
Yes, I just got told by my Orbea dealer today that Orbea have issued a concern over the torque applied to the cranks in the factory so I will pop past this weekend for them to check.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Anyone fitted non std wheels yet, the wheels I’ve ordered are std 6bolt rotor fitment and I’m concerned about the speed sensor?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Anyone fitted non std wheels yet, the wheels I’ve ordered are std 6bolt rotor fitment and I’m concerned about the speed sensor?
You’ll need to move the speed sensor or order a second one. It simply bolts on top of the disc using two of the disc bolts.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If anyone is after a Rise in the UK, Balfes bikes have a few in stock and ready to go - they are a small chain in the south east.

My local one in Reigate has a m and an XL ready to go, and more in the warehouse

5CB35F60-D745-449F-9591-C4AE0BB6CDDA.jpeg

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Managed to get 3 rides on my Rise so far - just road and light trails, but I went for the M-team version with the Fox 34, DPS shock and 2 pot brakes, so it suits the kind of riding I am doing recently. First impressions are it's marginally lighter than I expected for the XL frame, power is slightly higher and battery use better than I expected. Style and build quality are really fantastic. Have to mention the RaceFace components (stem, bar, rims) as these are just amazing quality and style.

Can only compare to my 2 year old E8000 Lapierre AM Overvolt (so that will have battery degradation etc - though I swap between 2 batteries) - and I'm just in the default EP8 profile on the Rise (probably the lower profile 1, but I haven't even connected it to the E-tube app yet to check ...)
  • Almost 8kg lighter than my Lapierre!
  • Trail assist mode on the Rise, feels like Eco on the E8000
  • Boost on the Rise, feels like the high trail assist mode on the E8000
  • There's a particular road hill near me which always uses 30-45% of a 500Wh battery on the E8000 in trail assist. On the Rise I've done the same hill on the way back each time and used 22%, 27%, 32% battery - probably depends on how tired I am, and seems to use more when the battery is lower. But it's definitely using less battery % for the same feel.
Shortest ride was 21km, 500m height (all road): used 28% battery (including 22% just for that hill)
Longest ride 59km, 1200m height (road & forest trail): used 80% battery (including 32% for the hill at end). Took 3h10m, compared to recent times on the E8000 Lapierre of 2h50m and 3h03m - so slightly slower overall, but felt about the same. Rode mostly in Trail then switched to boost for the end.

I've found I needed to put my saddle back (15mm) on the Rise (I'm 6'4" on the XL) due to the steep seat tube.

Had to reset the wire from the cable to dropper post as it became lose after one ride - I think it just wasn't properly seated at the dropper end when it was assembled. Really easy to slide the dropper cable in and out of the frame though without needing to touch anything else like the motor - no way I can do that on my Lapierre.

The 2-pot XTR brakes on 180mm rotors feel a lot weaker than 4-pots on 203mm which I'm used to (unsurprising!) - maybe I'll change these at some point.

The XTR gears shift amazingly well (as everyone seems to say) even under power. But I find myself hating the XTR gear lever ... wondering if it's possible to switch this for an SRAM one ...

On arrival as stock (size XL, with tubes & no pedals):
Weight in packaging: 17.74kg (39.1lbs)
Weight with no packaging: 17.26kg (38.1lbs)
WP_20210225_14_34_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20210227_16_15_13_Pro.jpg

I've changed the saddle, added pedals & bottle holder, changed the tyres & tubes and it is at 17.41kg (38.4lbs):
WP_20210318_14_22_52_Pro.jpg

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
currently four short rides in, have swapped the dps shock out for a spare rc3 that I had laying around and linked up the garmin 520, so far loving E life

dan

0ABB8720-2523-4686-A4DF-9869FE9ECED3.jpeg
D661EC1C-1D1A-4CB8-AF57-D975ABE64861.jpeg

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Managed to get 3 rides on my Rise so far - just road and light trails, but I went for the M-team version with the Fox 34, DPS shock and 2 pot brakes, so it suits the kind of riding I am doing recently. First impressions are it's marginally lighter than I expected for the XL frame, power is slightly higher and battery use better than I expected. Style and build quality are really fantastic. Have to mention the RaceFace components (stem, bar, rims) as these are just amazing quality and style.

Can only compare to my 2 year old E8000 Lapierre AM Overvolt (so that will have battery degradation etc - though I swap between 2 batteries) - and I'm just in the default EP8 profile on the Rise (probably the lower profile 1, but I haven't even connected it to the E-tube app yet to check ...)
  • Almost 8kg lighter than my Lapierre!
  • Trail assist mode on the Rise, feels like Eco on the E8000
  • Boost on the Rise, feels like the high trail assist mode on the E8000
  • There's a particular road hill near me which always uses 30-45% of a 500Wh battery on the E8000 in trail assist. On the Rise I've done the same hill on the way back each time and used 22%, 27%, 32% battery - probably depends on how tired I am, and seems to use more when the battery is lower. But it's definitely using less battery % for the same feel.
Shortest ride was 21km, 500m height (all road): used 28% battery (including 22% just for that hill)
Longest ride 59km, 1200m height (road & forest trail): used 80% battery (including 32% for the hill at end). Took 3h10m, compared to recent times on the E8000 Lapierre of 2h50m and 3h03m - so slightly slower overall, but felt about the same. Rode mostly in Trail then switched to boost for the end.

I've found I needed to put my saddle back (15mm) on the Rise (I'm 6'4" on the XL) due to the steep seat tube.

Had to reset the wire from the cable to dropper post as it became lose after one ride - I think it just wasn't properly seated at the dropper end when it was assembled. Really easy to slide the dropper cable in and out of the frame though without needing to touch anything else like the motor - no way I can do that on my Lapierre.

The 2-pot XTR brakes on 180mm rotors feel a lot weaker than 4-pots on 203mm which I'm used to (unsurprising!) - maybe I'll change these at some point.

The XTR gears shift amazingly well (as everyone seems to say) even under power. But I find myself hating the XTR gear lever ... wondering if it's possible to switch this for an SRAM one ...

On arrival as stock (size XL, with tubes & no pedals):
Weight in packaging: 17.74kg (39.1lbs)
Weight with no packaging: 17.26kg (38.1lbs)
View attachment 56112
View attachment 56114

I've changed the saddle, added pedals & bottle holder, changed the tyres & tubes and it is at 17.41kg (38.4lbs):
View attachment 56115

Thanks for taking the time to write all this just want I hoped to read before I collect mine
Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles