Orange Alpine 6 E vs Surge

trailrider71

Jul 12, 2019
Finland
Hi! Has someone tested both models: Orange Alpine 6 E and Surge? I would get good price on Alpine 6 E compared to Surge, but wonder if Surge has many improvements compared to Alpine 6 E to justify Surge's higher price?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Yes, I demo-ed a 6E but bought a Surge.

Both ride well and the Surge is clearly an evolution of the 6E (it’s neater now, the battery removal is a lot easier, the rear is more rigid etc). If you can get a good price the 6E is still a cracking bike.

trailrider71

Jul 12, 2019
Finland
Hello! Thanks for good feedback! It took long time to find my next bike after Merida Eone Sixty 800.
My new bike is Orange Alpine 6 E Factory. It feels much faster and slacker compared to Eone Sixty.

orangeAlpine6E.jpg

orangeAlpine6E_3.jpg

trailrider71

Jul 12, 2019
Finland
Suspension is super smooth and Shimano XT Di2 shifting is very accurate and fast. It climbs better than EOne Sixty. Steering is very accurate, maybe also due to tyre width (2.5" front, 2.4" back) that is much narrower than on Eone Sixty.

Last edited:

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Happy with it? Orange owners always rave about the bikes but they have always looked, to me, a bit agricultural but I love the look of the surge..

Last edited:

trailrider71

Jul 12, 2019
Finland
Yes, very happy! Can't wait for next ride with it :cool: Yes, the appearance of the bike divides opinions, but I like it ;)

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I had a very open mind and originally had a 19 Levo Carbon Comp on order. The delays made me consider the Orange. I demo-ed both back to back and while the Levo is great as soon as I jumped on the Orange I just felt much more at home.

The look is different to a lot of other bikes, sure, but it is absolutely designed, engineered and hand built in the UK by bike nuts for UK conditions. Like the Hope kit on it (my rides so far are all Calder Valley too). All this was also important to me. Granted, it may or may not be important to you.

I’ve had my Surge now a few weeks and the more I get to know it the more I love the way it handles both climbing and descending. E-Bikes are all big beasts but this feels like fun when your on it. It inspires confidence.

YMMV - there’s no one perfect bike and each has their pluses and minuses but i’m So glad I went this route.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
That one was a big one for me. I imagined if I was running a business doing this stuff.

That’s why I bought from my local LBS in Hebden Bridge - Blazing Saddles.

trailrider71

Jul 12, 2019
Finland
Hi! I made an improvement to my Orange Alpine 6 E: replaced the battery cover with a rubber one. Benefits:
+ Almost 400g weight saving
+ No tools required to remove battery
+ No holes, so mud cannot get in to charging port

Patent pending ?

20190926_164952.jpg

20190925_185901.jpg

trailrider71

Jul 12, 2019
Finland
I got rubber mat (1mm thick) from local store. Then used scissors to make needed parts and finally using Loctite glue to put all together ?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Yes, it’s key battery release. No issues at all. 8035 is ever so slightly slimmer than the 8020 battery but most ebike down tubes are bulky anyway.

Capo

Feb 16, 2020
N yorks
is there any battle rattle is it on boost rims front and back what are u getting range they is so many variables but what are u getting what is the motor like is it the e700o sorry for questions but interested in one of these

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Difficult to tell what you’re asking but I’m happy to help.

The bike is rock solid, no rattles. It handles everything in its path.

Range will be different for everyone depending on how much you use boost, your weight, terrain etc. I’m never left wanting though.

The motor is the E8000. Having ridden the Brose and Levo SL in comparison the E8000 is a great motor. I really like the way it delivers the assistance, particularly in trail mode (which is adaptive).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles