Oldie Newbie. FSR upgrade ?

martinf

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton
Hi, old boy from Brighton here. Been riding mtb hereabouts for 20+ years, but got a Turbo Levo HT when I retired 15 months ago (shout out to Gary at Pearce Cycles in Ludlow) and haven’t looked back since. Now thinking about upgrading to a Levo FSR, or Cube Stereo. There seems to be quite a lot on here (and out there) on Levos, and my experience has been good, with both the current HT bike, and Spesh service (replaced battery with a new 500w one when I had ‘’cell imbalance’ problems), but not a lot on Cube Stereo. My main concern, coming from a Levo is the ‘noisy motor’ thing, and that tiny ring, don’t you end up pedalling really fast :) I’ll maybe post about this on Cube specific forum, but see if anybody responds to this first. Thanks

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Haha, hey Martin, I can't really give much comparison as I've never ridden a levo, but do own a Cube Stereo, I am used to the engine sound, so to me, its barely audible; if I am going more than 20mph for me the wind and leaves/ground interaction are about as loud as the motor, also depends on cadence/assistance, it goes from a lower pitch to a higher one (probably similar to levo)

As for the tiny ring, (oo er) its geared so it rotates twice for every crank rotation, so a 14t is a 28t essentially

martinf

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton
Thanks, for reply gff, I can only get up to 20mph downhill with a following wind! Most of my riding’s in the 0-15mph range (as I understand it, the motor should cut out at 15mph anyway?). I’m specifically thinking of a Cube Stereo 120 Race, the carbon one, as I can’t really see the point in having 140/150mm travel, for what I do, and they seem quite light (my one complaint about my HT Levo) and seem to be on offer in a couple of places, so any specific feedback, pix etc., would be great. I’ll have to get to try one, but I don’t think there’s anywhere specific in Brighton that does them.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would look at the Canyon Neuron On (Shimano Motor), for what you are looking for its just about perfect.

If you are coming from a Brose Motor in the Levo, you will notice the increased drag the Bosch motor on the cube has past the cut off, so I would definitely try one before committing.

Canyon Neuron:ON review – eMTB-News.de

You could also try and pick up a 2018 Levo in the sales, that way you would have spare battery etc from your old Levo HT.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Freeborn Bikes in Haselmere sell Cube and Specilized, not too far from Brighton

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles