Old blokes who should know better.....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Also that prices will rise by average £1 - 1.5k per bike
If you take into account discounts which you could get, and now can't and then add in price increases - which are still increasing, as are shipping costs globally ! It works out that bikes go up in price by between £5 and £10 a day over the last year.

It's a scary world, fortunately Dobby is a youtube billionaire so can buy us all new bikes ! :)

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
53 years young and loving the Sam2?

Videoframe_20210407_143923_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
well, the reason I was looking for a new bike is that my levo has never really fit me properly. the XL was too big and the L was a little too small.
the Gen3 levo, now its moved to S sizing and changed drastically on the seat tube angle means im right bang in the middle of the S5 size so ill wait patiently for a Gen 3 comp !!!!!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Make that 60 (y)

Incidentally how tall are you, I'm 183cm but my large Levo feels a little on the 'large' side for me, medium is too small so not sure if S4 or S3 is where I should be at, that new Pro is really tempting:censored:
thanks for the sub mate!
yes so I am 6'1" (I used to be 6'2" but I played rugby a lot) which in new money is 185cm.
so you are only 2cm less at 183 (bang on 6') and you fine the L too big !!!

do you find it too big when standing up or sitting down? personally, I loved the XL when standing and especially when going quickly but the L is twitchier and cramped, my chin feels like it forward of the stem a lot and I feel exposed to going OTB but if I hang off the back, I risk the front washing out.
according to the new Levo sizing, we could both ride either S4 or S5, the examples on the size chart of same sized people riding different sized bikes might be a bit simple but its better than nothing and having had the XL and L Levo's, I would agree.. I wish I could have the stability and length of the XL levo with the reach of the L Levo.

1618390103730.png

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
thanks for the sub mate!
yes so I am 6'1" (I used to be 6'2" but I played rugby a lot) which in new money is 185cm.
so you are only 2cm less at 183 (bang on 6') and you fine the L too big !!!

do you find it too big when standing up or sitting down? personally, I loved the XL when standing and especially when going quickly but the L is twitchier and cramped, my chin feels like it forward of the stem a lot and I feel exposed to going OTB but if I hang off the back, I risk the front washing out.
according to the new Levo sizing, we could both ride either S4 or S5, the examples on the size chart of same sized people riding different sized bikes might be a bit simple but its better than nothing and having had the XL and L Levo's, I would agree.. I wish I could have the stability and length of the XL levo with the reach of the L Levo.

View attachment 58556

Just back from a run and the Large probably is correct for me. I'm still getting used to the Ebike and think it's the extra weight and lack of nimbleness that's making me think it's too big.

My other bike is a large 2013 Stumpjumper Evo so I'm used to totally different geo, weight and length.

Still fancy that Pro model though - in S4.:p

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Top Ride Dobs ! Good effort with the limited front suspension and only Ass cheek rear ! Dane was booming it as usual.

Swaying to the Kawasaki Orbea ? I guess you need to ride the levo after the cube to get a more accurate real world feel of things.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Top Ride Dobs ! Good effort with the limited front suspension and only Ass cheek rear ! Dane was booming it as usual.

Swaying to the Kawasaki Orbea ? I guess you need to ride the levo after the cube to get a more accurate real world feel of things.
dunno about you mate but I havent ridden many types of ebike.. the motor on the cube is really strong, nice to ride but too much accelration for me, I think there is an app for tuning but Dane doesnt bother with that stuff..
the fork on that cube was a pogo stick, every hit would pop it off the floor and on fast hits the thing felt like it was floating and not in a good way. the bike itself was nice though, very stiff frame and felt like it would be a real ripper with a set of clips and a decent fork.
as far as the orbea goes, I've had 2 levo's and as much as I want a third (gen3) I would feel like the sort of person that only ever orders the same thing at a curry house. and never tries something new if I bought another levo.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
dunno about you mate but I havent ridden many types of ebike.. the motor on the cube is really strong, nice to ride but too much accelration for me, I think there is an app for tuning but Dane doesnt bother with that stuff..
the fork on that cube was a pogo stick, every hit would pop it off the floor and on fast hits the thing felt like it was floating and not in a good way. the bike itself was nice though, very stiff frame and felt like it would be a real ripper with a set of clips and a decent fork.
as far as the orbea goes, I've had 2 levo's and as much as I want a third (gen3) I would feel like the sort of person that only ever orders the same thing at a curry house. and never tries something new if I bought another levo.
I try to ride what I can given the chance. The problem is that things feel different on different days depending on you. (or me).

Apps wise the Bosch is pretty limited at the moment, but I think there is EMTB and EMTB lite now. A bit like the Shimano Trail, which you can pretty much just leave it in that and still get good range and good assistance when required. Arguably you can do the same with the Levo by adjusting the range of assistance settings - though it's not quite as intuitive in how it responds.

Some of those lower travel forks are just scary. My last hard tail was like that - they were better than supermarket bike forks, but for what they cost they were a bit of a joke. There seems to be a cross over point where you go from "they're all awful" to "they're all ok or really ok". Riding a hard tail on rough terrain is tiring, so you should sleep well again ! It's physical because you take more of a hammering and mental as you spend more time working on lines rather than letting the bike just ride over things.

So you're worried you're sort of Levo Married ? I know what you mean though :)

I guess part of Bike Owner ship is also different bikes, satisfying out curiosity's, searching for our perfection of the moment.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I try to ride what I can given the chance. The problem is that things feel different on different days depending on you. (or me).

Apps wise the Bosch is pretty limited at the moment, but I think there is EMTB and EMTB lite now. A bit like the Shimano Trail, which you can pretty much just leave it in that and still get good range and good assistance when required. Arguably you can do the same with the Levo by adjusting the range of assistance settings - though it's not quite as intuitive in how it responds.

Some of those lower travel forks are just scary. My last hard tail was like that - they were better than supermarket bike forks, but for what they cost they were a bit of a joke. There seems to be a cross over point where you go from "they're all awful" to "they're all ok or really ok". Riding a hard tail on rough terrain is tiring, so you should sleep well again ! It's physical because you take more of a hammering and mental as you spend more time working on lines rather than letting the bike just ride over things.

I guess part of Bike Owner ship is also different bikes, satisfying out curiosity's, searching for our perfection of the moment.
yea I use my levo like the bosch EMTB mode, all my setting have a max assist (or whatever its called) of 100% so for example
eco: 25-100
trail: 45-100
turbo: 60-100
so I get a similar thing but its not the same. as much as I love the bosch motor, the acceleration is so much that I was frequently losing the pedals as they kinda spun up more than I was expecting, I guess its something you get used to.
IIRC, that bike has a rockshox 35??? cube reaction 2020 - not sure what model but it really shows how good a fork the lyrik is on my levo.
like you say, had to pay attention to line choice but no more than usual, its just that some terrain isnt much of a challenge so you take the harder line for fun, wasnt doing much of that today :D

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Jeeeeeez dem brakes !!! Kept having to pause and check where the hell the angry elephants were hiding. So glad my brakes dont do that. Great video.
honestly mate, Dane had washed both bikes and because he comes from MX and enduro, he covered them in GT85 afterwards.. standard MX'er stuff :D

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland

Me too, Specialized stumpies and an Sworks for the last 20 yrs+ so Levos looked the way to go, not sure I've made the right decision with the 2 x 2021 experts I've bought (fxxk knowns when the wife's is going to be back with us - 260 easy miles and weeks away from getting fixed).

If I'd spent that much on a car I'd at least have got a (shit) courtesy replacement - Specialized - no chance (just be thankful we took your 8K you bellend)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Me too, Specialized stumpies and an Sworks for the last 20 yrs+ so Levos looked the way to go, not sure I've made the right decision with the 2 x 2021 experts I've bought (fxxk knowns when the wife's is going to be back with us - 260 easy miles and weeks away from getting fixed).

If I'd spent that much on a car I'd at least have got a (shit) courtesy replacement - Specialized - no chance (just be thankful we took your 8K you bellend)
same, went from an enduro to a levo to another levo :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0828.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles