Old blokes who should know better.....

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
The back garden bike park has started, could be worthy of a separate thread.... Video also incoming
IMG_20220430_140748.jpg
IMG_20220430_140800.jpg
IMG_20220430_163510.jpg

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
That one really, really hurt, no warning or times to react, didn't even get my hands out, just landed straight on my face around 20mph, my neck is killing me. No GoPro but luckily Sam was on hand to catch it afterwards.
IMG_20220507_180901.jpg
IMG_20220507_181129.jpg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
UGH, concussion..
had to come home from work and now I'm guessing (from past experience) that I'll be on the sofa for the rest of the week.

Rest up and heal well dude.

I had a lucky escape yesterday. Had an OTB coming down a chunky rock garden descent. The rocky trail was lined either side with even more sharp pointy rocks but somehow when I superman flew off my bike I managed to land on my head in the only patch of soft heather around, did the perfect forward roll and straight on to my feet. No idea how I got away with it, if it was rock I landed on it would have been nasty

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
So a typical week for a plumber then ...
bastard !!! - you forgot to mention that I would invoice 5k for that :p

Rest up and heal well dude.

I had a lucky escape yesterday. Had an OTB coming down a chunky rock garden descent. The rocky trail was lined either side with even more sharp pointy rocks but somehow when I superman flew off my bike I managed to land on my head in the only patch of soft heather around, did the perfect forward roll and straight on to my feet. No idea how I got away with it, if it was rock I landed on it would have been nasty
ooh, sounds bloody nasty.. be careful mate, my concussion symptoms were delayed over 24 hours and I've had quite a few in my life, that's the longest it's taken to feel the symptoms and it was 30 minutes after I started work. keep an eye on yourself bud.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
bastard !!! - you forgot to mention that I would invoice 5k for that :p

ooh, sounds bloody nasty.. be careful mate, my concussion symptoms were delayed over 24 hours and I've had quite a few in my life, that's the longest it's taken to feel the symptoms and it was 30 minutes after I started work. keep an eye on yourself bud.

However, every cloud has a silver lining and all that …

After getting back on the bike and rolling down the rest of the trail in a dazed state thinking to myself ‘shit how am I even alive’, I managed to take the wrong line over this feature. There’s three lines, one’s an easy roll, the middle one (demonstrated by my partner) is a kind of drop then roll, the one to the left is just a big drop to flat. I took the big drop to flat, and only realised as my front wheel left the edge and thought I was about to die again! Landed absolutely fine though 😆

60A402E5-7A95-4891-A387-B19FFA97F03F.jpeg

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
So what your saying really is your partner knows which line to take you don’t. :D:D. Only joking dude looks a good trail.(y)

Haha well I normally approach the middle line a bit quicker so drop the first rock and roll the rest, whereas she rolls all of it. Yesterday I forgot which rock to drop and it was a bit of a shock as I came off the edge and was faced with a 4ft ish drop which I haven’t done before 😆

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A couple of lines there
The first time I rode Hotstepper (about 4 years ago) that feature freaked me the fuck out, especially as my mate had squealed like a stuck pig when he hit it. Last time I rode it (with no rides in between) I had to go back and check I hadn't missed it because nothing on that trail phased me in the slightest.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
The first time I rode Hotstepper (about 4 years ago) that feature freaked me the fuck out, especially as my mate had squealed like a stuck pig when he hit it. Last time I rode it (with no rides in between) I had to go back and check I hadn't missed it because nothing on that trail phased me in the slightest.
yea I missed it and it looked really good, next time ill keep and eye out for it and take that straighter line / rock garden drop..

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
yes, I think a biggy is flexibility; it's something I have to work on every day before a ride otherwise I move like frankenstein :rolleyes:
I recently started doing yoga and using a massage gun as well as just planking everyday, made a huge difference to my bike control, hard to put into words but was able to move around to where I needed to be on the bike.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thought this was appropriate to post here

I’ve never met Betty but Digger is also a legend on our mountain. Credit him for some of the trails and features we ride on. Also Vic, who I’ve met a number of times. He may be in his early 80’s now. Here’s a pic of an event a couple of days ago which was organized at the base of Burke Mountian. (across from North Shore).
900A5E1D-E2DA-4787-8F88-20BD79C1813F.jpeg

There must of been 200+ MTB riders of all ages. Organized by TORCA, local bike shops and a Physio clinic.

16D29250-AC29-4AA2-A202-B01B343D1A9A.jpeg

Great to see
658AA58A-EF8B-4361-A5FC-5996042A0654.jpeg

This is the result of many legends in the past and many more future legends.

This seems like a lot users but they disappeared into the network of trails until the conclusion of this event. I’m lucky that this is my “backyard”.

This is also the exact location that a number of movies have been filmed (such as Batman). Several dozen trucks and crew line the access roads and trails. I’ve personally stumbled across film crews and a few “elite” riders on seemingly abandoned trails (I’ve sworn not to disclose).Filming was stopped once because of my presence (I was surprised and impressed). Trails, features and crazy huge jumps were well constructed for a single shot. I’ve also been accused “maintaining” trails.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Now I hope the moderator doesn’t get any bright idea and change my name description from “Handheld Power Tool” to “Rain Man”. I like being called a “Tool”. 😉👍🏻
But coincidentally, “Rain Man” was my nick-name when I was a West Coast Faller …shortly after this movie came out. But after my stroke my spirits were elevated because I was a self-diagnosed possible “stunt-double” for Dustin Hoffman if there ever was a sequel to Rain Man 1. I’m still waiting. 😏🤷‍♂️

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Good on her ( Betty). I windsurf as well as mountain bike and at 71 the only real issues I have with either, is that I am less able to withstand the cold, my fitness is fine but recovery takes longer than it used to, and if I injure myself it takes longer to heal. I guess another difference maybe related to those factors, is I am less likely to take risks or ride beyond my a bility level. I have log passed the age when peer pressure or ill advised personal ambition, push me beyond the limit...........but remember when they did!! Those issues are balanced by the fact that I learn more and more about bike control the more I ride and my skill level continues to improve.

I have windsurfed for over 30 years and my skill level probably plateuaed quite a few years ago but I am happy enough to blast over the water and gybe and blast back. I have done MTB longer than that but really only ever as an alternative to windsurfing if there was no wind. In 2019 I bought my first EMTB.. A Levo Comp....and that combined with the restrictions once the pandemic hit reduced my time spent windsurfing and increased my time on the bike.
I dont do any specific exercises but rarely spend a day not doing manual work around the house or garden or our stables ,so I stay physically active...and walk the dog on heathland every day regardless of the weather.

So if you stay active, eat a good diet, and try to avoid serious injury, there is no reason for age to be a barrier to keep on riding, just dont do it in a T shirt and shorts and expect to walk away if you crash!!

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I can't remember if I introduced myself here. I'm a 68 year old adrenaline junkie (according to my doctor), who should know better, but doesn't. Last year at Mammoth Mountain, I had an off-trail excursion into the kitty litter (MM is all volcanic pumice when you go off-trail) that resulted in "several" (according to the hospital) broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung. I tried to swerve to avoid a large rock, but you can't swerve in kitty litter! The pumice stopped the bike dead in its tracks when I turned the bars, and of course I kept going. Ironically, I landed on my back on top of the large rock I was trying to avoid.

Recovery was painful, but I was back at Mammoth about 2 months later. My first 2022 visit will be next month. I bought a light duty Troy Lee body armor tee shirt to go with my knee and elbow pads.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles