Old blokes who should know better.....

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Small world isnt it ! We be strange from around those parts .. but then you know that.
The Neuadd was a Thursday night favourite for years when we were kids, Llagammarch our normal stamping ground.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Small world isnt it ! We be strange from around those parts .. but then you know that.
The Neuadd was a Thursday night favourite for years when we were kids, Llagammarch our normal stamping ground.
the Neuadd is still going strong, mainly cos of the world alternative games of course :D
do loads of work around Llangamarch area as well, I dont reckon its changed much since you were last there :D

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
I'm in that same age category, used to do a lot of biking but not so much for the last few years. Broke my ankle last year so the leccy bike has been a good incentive to get back into it, even though my confidence has taken a knock. Used to ride spds but now trying to get used to flats - don't want any rivets popping out!

IMG_2079.JPG

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
I'm in that same age category, used to do a lot of biking but not so much for the last few years. Broke my ankle last year so the leccy bike has been a good incentive to get back into it, even though my confidence has taken a knock. Used to ride spds but now trying to get used to flats - don't want any rivets popping out!

View attachment 57375
Ouch! Injuries are game changers but if you can still ride that's what counts. Everyone has their own bar and skill level. As this applies to "us old blokes" keep it real. I'm 65 and have some hardware in my neck from 43 years ago. Broken C5 - C6 vertebrae. Never too proud to roll or even push if need be. Happy for you to be back on the bike! (y)

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany

View attachment 57375
Did the doctor offer you a screw? and you replied yes, I love screws. Especially long ones!
;)
Holy cow. That looks like a bit of an airport security problem!

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
Ouch! Injuries are game changers but if you can still ride that's what counts. Everyone has their own bar and skill level. As this applies to "us old blokes" keep it real. I'm 65 and have some hardware in my neck from 43 years ago. Broken C5 - C6 vertebrae. Never too proud to roll or even push if need be. Happy for you to be back on the bike! (y)

Apart from a cheekbone and nose x3 this is my first 'proper' fracture and was a bit of an eyeopener, probably will never be 100% so I just need to try and remember that I don't bounce like I used to:(

Did the doctor offer you a screw? and you replied yes, I love screws. Especially long ones!
;)
Holy cow. That looks like a bit of an airport security problem!

Funnily enough that's exactly what I said.
Yes I was offered a good screwing but, believe it or not, the snr registrar overruled the first doc and discharged me in a splint, bouncing about on a zimmer for ten days was not fun. Follow up examination led to the op.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Likewise, spinal surgery. Left me with paralysis in left calf and foot so wear a leg brace. More recently shoulder surgery following someone driving into the back of my car and causing rotator cuff tendon damage.

I then rattle down stuff and get some strange looks when people see how old I am and the leg brace.

I definitely fall into this classification and proud to be here! ?

"Life's not a rehearsal!"
Absolutely old man.

Keep going. Live life. Never give in. ?

Penttithefinn

Feb 3, 2021
Suffolk
Apart from a cheekbone and nose x3 this is my first 'proper' fracture and was a bit of an eyeopener, probably will never be 100% so I just need to try and remember that I don't bounce like I used to:(

Funnily enough that's exactly what I said.
Yes I was offered a good screwing but, believe it or not, the snr registrar overruled the first doc and discharged me in a splint, bouncing about on a zimmer for ten days was not fun. Follow up examination led to the op.
Medics say the strangest of things! After falling from a gangplank and rupturing my patella tendons, I found myself in hospital having had my knee wired back together, after coming around, the Surgeon said " Of course you would have been better breaking your leg" to which I replied " funnily enough, the last thing that went through my mind was hoping that I was just going to break my leg" He laughed like he enjoyed my pain !!!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I'm also an older bloke 64 this month and got my first mtb at 39 ..I've been fortunate that in terms of injury it's only been broken ribs (twice) on either side of my rib cage ..
It's funny but I used to jump more on my first fully rigid bike safe in the knowledge that sick pay would cover any absence from work than I ever do now ( we both are self employed ) ..and any prolonged injury would impact our finances .. that is always in the back of my mind ..
Saying that I still go for it on techy stuff ..old habits die hard ?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I'm also an older bloke 64 this month and got my first mtb at 39 ..I've been fortunate that in terms of injury it's only been broken ribs (twice) on either side of my rib cage ..
It's funny but I used to jump more on my first fully rigid bike safe in the knowledge that sick pay would cover any absence from work than I ever do now ( we both are self employed ) ..and any prolonged injury would impact our finances .. that is always in the back of my mind ..
Saying that I still go for it on techy stuff ..old habits die hard ?
also self employed, I factor in 4-6 weeks off injured per year - this isnt a joke :D, I usually use 4-6 weeks a year off injured too. although lately its not been mountain biking but other things that get me injured
EDIT: by 'other things' I usually mean, work injuries...

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Oh wow... that sounds a bit Epic.
I don't fit in this group at all then. I am only turning 60 later this year, and despite my unsatisfying desire for action sports like Windsurfing, mountain biking, skiing (Powder and backcountry preferred), snowboarding (Race boards are cool), I have managed to keep my body parts all relatively intact! (Touch wood). Relative is relative you know.
I just bought a new toy.
One of these.
View attachment 57363
What boat are you going to tow it with?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What boat are you going to tow it with?
I factor in 4-6 weeks off injured per year - this isnt a joke :D, I usually use 4-6 weeks a year off injured too.
Everyone thinks that being hung like a donkey is a good thing. But the number of times you've ended up passing out and injuring yourself in those unexpected moments of arousal as the blood leaves the brain ...... not an easy thing ! Not to mention having to buy one knee pad larger than the other.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
also self employed, I factor in 4-6 weeks off injured per year - this isnt a joke :D, I usually use 4-6 weeks a year off injured too. although lately its not been mountain biking but other things that get me injured
EDIT: by 'other things' I usually mean, work injuries...

Maybe you need to be better at your hobbies, rather than being a crash test dummy!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles