Old blokes who should know better.....

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
cool, thanks for that, I didnt think if using an ellipse as the template, I just used a circle for the ramps i made so far..
having looked at some vids online of the MTB hopper, thats has a 3 part transition on the take off, no radius but 3 parts that are all flat where the angle changes to steeper between each one.. I think im gonna experiment with that setup as well..
The one I built is almost along the same lines (straight bits that make up a Truss made of 4x2 framing timber) and then topped off with 10mm thick plywood. The green rectangles are cross sections that pretty much just holds the base and keeps it from splaying out. The orange cross sections are support purlins that actually bears the load of the bike. You're a woodworker so you'll know what I mean and if you want to try something like this, you'll also know how to fix those to the trusses appropriately without it breaking off. The plywood was bent by simply getting the kids to stand on it while I screwed it along the width of each purlin.

Because this ramp was going to be transported on the bed of a pickup truck and is only for relatively light and small BMX bikes, it was fairly small and portable (about 1 metre wide and 2 metres long if I remember correctly). It only had two trusses (one on each side), and was relatively light so two/three people can pick it up to load and unload on the pickup bed. It didn't look all that big when I was building it, so I agreed to give it one go when I was egged on by the kids. I knew I had to hit it at speed, but I must've gotten my timing just right (the kids were teaching me how to bunny hop at the time) and this thing flicked me higher than I expected, it gave me a freight... I didn't quite know how to land! At a length twice as much as a MTB wheelbase, the jump lip might end up a little over waist high... and unlike dirt, plywood is pretty speedy - just sayin.

If I were to build one for an eMTB, I would use three trusses (one smack in the middle)... and maybe add another sheet of plywood on top of the first one one. And, slightly wider maybe...

Just a few more ideas you may want to consider. (y)

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.27.19 AM.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You're a woodworker so you'll know what I mean and if you want to try something like this
That's all well and good .. but @dobbyhasfriends's heart is set on making musical instruments.

I used to goto le lion de angers every year. They asked Dobby to "just make a simple bloody horse jump man" ....

dobby.JPG

If you want him to make a jump ... you need to pre-think what instrument it needs to resemble .. "Sam, drag the mighty Cello over will you .... Yes, the one with the inbuilt ground spike"

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I am selling approximately one f*ckton of guitar parts on ebay, if anyone is interested..
funds will accelerate the purchase of Sam's ebike and riding gear !!!

probably only interesting if you are a guitarist..

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
I built this one at work one day when it was quite. Wanted to make a ramp that could be flat packed but also put together and broken down without the need of any tools. After building it I decided to break it in half to make a smaller ramp with the option of adding back the other half.
Built it, jumped it once then gave it to a mate for his boy to have.

9913D3CD-FEF6-4C67-B0BA-0622937C4654.jpeg

1870FB30-3BFD-475B-A2E0-CF4DA12C0FEE.jpeg

B4FD42FC-D73B-41CF-A6EE-AB42F2DC0F4E.jpeg

226598C8-D3FE-4737-BDFA-D6B8766003A2.jpeg

91561C15-7E93-4707-9F29-D093AF6192D9.jpeg

D9ED7131-326B-4CE1-A52B-5F4943CAEF5E.jpeg

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I built this one at work one day when it was quite. Wanted to make a ramp that could be flat packed but also put together and broken down without the need of any tools. After building it I decided to break it in half to make a smaller ramp with the option of adding back the other half.
Built it, jumped it once then gave it to a mate for his boy to have.

View attachment 44889

View attachment 44890

View attachment 44891

View attachment 44892

View attachment 44893

View attachment 44894
outstanding work there mate, thats the way to do it and ive been thinking on how myself.. you have just saved me loads of time (y) (y)

I am planning on a modular landing as well and its hard to do while keeping the weight and materials down !

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
outstanding work there mate, thats the way to do it and ive been thinking on how myself.. you have just saved me loads of time (y) (y)

I am planning on a modular landing as well and its hard to do while keeping the weight and materials down !
The jump ramp I built has 2 ribs but for a landing ramp I’d maybe put 4 or 5 ribs tightly spaced but with 4x2 cross braces. That way you should be able to get away with a single 18mm ply deck as the load on it should be spread by the ribs. Obviously this is all dependent on the angle of the jump ramp. As in if the jump ramp is steep, so it put you way up in the air, then I’d double skin the landing ramp.
(I except no liability for injuries caused by following any of these ideas)?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The jump ramp I built has 2 ribs but for a landing ramp I’d maybe put 4 or 5 ribs tightly spaced but with 4x2 cross braces. That way you should be able to get away with a single 18mm ply deck as the load on it should be spread by the ribs. Obviously this is all dependent on the angle of the jump ramp. As in if the jump ramp is steep, so it put you way up in the air, then I’d double skin the landing ramp.
(I except no liability for injuries caused by following any of these ideas)?
Have you seen the size of him ? I think I'd be making the landing ramp out of vermiculite concrete. :p :ROFLMAO:

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
well, it's my f*cking birthday and as you can tell, im really happy about it.
its dry and ive taken the day off, the spare battery is charging and im packing the evoc bag for a big one across the beacons.. see ya later with some pictures!
Happy 'kin Birthday then. Go to Builth, people are nicer.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Looks Awesome! A late Happy F..kin birthday from me too. 25 at last!!
Bloody cold and snowy here. I went for an awesome ride last weekend with a couple of guys through the forum here. Mihail and Rado. We shreaded the Isar trails for 43 KM and they knackered me! but had loads of fun.
Repairing fallen off pedals.
20201128_121126.jpg

Drinking Beer and eating a Pork Bread roll (Restaurants are closed but they do takeaway)

20201128_124016.jpg

Having a competition who could get up a steep incline.
20201128_135406.jpg

20201128_135606.jpg

Crawling under fallen trees.
20201128_141629.jpg

And balancing over slippery log bridges carrying the bikes.
20201128_134740.jpg

It was fun.
But with the current temperature I can't seem to motivate myself to get out

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I chanced upon this MTB YouTube channel (Best day ever MTB) made up of a hard-case group of ‘senior’ kiwis getting into all sorts of fun, trying all sorts of trails sometimes above their skill level. The presenter is “Lance” and he rides an eMTB regularly. I envy their peer group as the appear to be similar in skills and I suppose disposable income as well because they’ve got a few travelling episodes in Whistler, Canada venturing into double black trails. I usually can’t watch home-grown MTB videos for very long, but with these guys it’s easy for me to watch the whole thing. Here’s one where they take to jumps like young’uns...

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
hitting fifty myself shortly and in the exact same position as yourself on post one, will take all the motivation in the world from this video and will be no doubt attempting something stupid shortly hahaha great post thanks for sharing hope i can progress like you did

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
hitting fifty myself shortly and in the exact same position as yourself on post one, will take all the motivation in the world from this video and will be no doubt attempting something stupid shortly hahaha great post thanks for sharing hope i can progress like you did
we need vids !!!

Those are awesome! Subscribed.
cheers mate!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I chanced upon this MTB YouTube channel (Best day ever MTB) made up of a hard-case group of ‘senior’ kiwis getting into all sorts of fun, trying all sorts of trails sometimes above their skill level. The presenter is “Lance” and he rides an eMTB regularly. I envy their peer group as the appear to be similar in skills and I suppose disposable income as well because they’ve got a few travelling episodes in Whistler, Canada venturing into double black trails. I usually can’t watch home-grown MTB videos for very long, but with these guys it’s easy for me to watch the whole thing. Here’s one where they take to jumps like young’uns...

they have some nice trails !!!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
they have some nice trails !!!
They sure do... and they travel all over too, locally and internationally (pre-covid).

It's not all fun and games for the Dad's Army group... here a video of 'Graham' crashing in Whistler, Canada and fractured his wrist badly.

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 12.36.09 PM.png

They are responsible, have travel and health insurance... and know what they're getting themselves into with eyes wide open - and come back for more! They appear very casual as if they've just started biking, but they've been riding MTBs since the 1990s apparently - so there's a considerable amount of experience and skill within the group. They've just gotten older that's all! ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles