Old blokes who should know better.....

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Stop being silly?
Not until you centre that hat pendant and belt buckle... they're driving my OCD past the slippery bend!!

Wotsrawngwhitchu? ?

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.41.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.37.54 PM.png

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Brought up ! BROUGHT UP ! Oh how the other half lived !

We were stuffed in the ground by our footless stumps until our early teans and left to catch passing insects whilst efficiently fertilising ourselves.

Brought up .. pffffff
Stumps! You have stumps??! Pffft

Some people only have two front teeth and lips... and look where they, uhm... nevmind...

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 1.11.41 PM.png

I should know better... and stop... but I'm an old bloke... so one more... last one... promise...

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
look at this sad sack... this was my hardest ride this year, I thought I may die and very nearly did..
bonked bad, took a nap on the trail in the foetal position :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
video imminent
View attachment 43911 trail View attachment 43912

Looks like your buddy is very pleased with himself that he didn’t wipe out!

I am glad that you are all right... power-nap on the trail is a good idea to calm down after an adrenaline dump.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
wanna hear 25 minutes of heavy breathing? I got what you need....

some things just shouldn't be uttered, typed, thought... ever

Well, in defence of Zimmerframe... I hate to say it... but you did kinda sound like a street corner pimp... ?

Joking aside, I do get really conscious about my breathing when I've got my GoPro strapped to me chest.
(Sheesh, even that sounded rude now ?). First eMTB vids I recorded - made my friend laugh because he thought I had asthma... because the camera mic pics up the sound straight off the chest as well as my nose. It got to a point where I can't concentrate on my riding because I'm trying to focus on NOT making a breathing sound.???

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
planning on making lots of ramps during winter, anyone got any ramp plans? I would love to make a hip jump in wood
I made some ramps years and years ago. I didn't have any geo references... but we just eye balled it and then made adjustments until it felt right for the BMX boys I made it for. Although I never used it, but I kept at it until they gave me their thumbs up. Two of the best of them eventually used it to jump over a small JDM pickup truck lengthwise, front to back (with the tail gate down, just in case) - to flat... without a down ramp!

When I got into mountain biking many years later, I made a similar one (from memory) just a small one (ramp length x1.2 of MTB wheelbase) and that worked well straight off the bat too.

I had a look for plans on the internet and there's a whole swag of ideas on how to build them now, but I couldn't find any real geometry as to the profile of the jump - PLUS they seem to vary depending on the bikes they're meant for. I read somewhere that eMTBs seem jump better with a less radical/scalloped profile without a kicker... but who knows, everything is subjective. I know of skilled riders who would just jump straight off across a fallen tree log.

So piecing together what I've learned ages ago... plus some of what I've seen recently, here's some profile suggestions from a logical starting point.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 12.57.55 PM.png

Profile on the left is derived from a circle, the one on the right taken from an ellipse... and the launch angle limited to a conservative 30° - whereas proper jump bikes can handle steeper angles than that. For the minimum ramp length, I wouldn't want to go shorter than x1.2 of your bike wheelbase if you want to get a nice transition and decent air, although smaller/shorter ramps can be a lot of fun too - for practicing pre-bunny hop pops.

Below is the same geo but with a kicker lip that goes beyond the 30° launch angle. This is where the circle and eclipse will differ. The further you go past the 30° launch angle, the circle will produce a milder kicker, whereas the eclipse profile kicker will be more pronounced. The one I built for the BMX boys is near identical to the eclipse profile (below right).

Hope this helps. (y)

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 1.02.28 PM.png

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I made some ramps years and years ago. I didn't have any geo references... but we just eye balled it and then made adjustments until it felt right for the BMX boys I made it for. Although I never used it, but I kept at it until they gave me their thumbs up. Two of the best of them eventually used it to jump over a small JDM pickup truck lengthwise, front to back (with the tail gate down, just in case) - to flat... without a down ramp!

When I got into mountain biking many years later, I made a similar one (from memory) just a small one (ramp length x1.2 of MTB wheelbase) and that worked well straight off the bat too.

I had a look for plans on the internet and there's a whole swag of ideas on how to build them now, but I couldn't find any real geometry as to the profile of the jump - PLUS they seem to vary depending on the bikes they're meant for. I read somewhere that eMTBs seem jump better with a less radical/scalloped profile without a kicker... but who knows, everything is subjective. I know of skilled riders who would just jump straight off across a fallen tree log.

So piecing together what I've learned ages ago... plus some of what I've seen recently, here's some profile suggestions from a logical starting point.

View attachment 44276

Profile on the left is derived from a circle, the one on the right taken from an ellipse... and the launch angle limited to a conservative 30° - whereas proper jump bikes can handle steeper angles than that. For the minimum ramp length, I wouldn't want to go shorter than x1.2 of your bike wheelbase if you want to get a nice transition and decent air, although smaller/shorter ramps can be a lot of fun too - for practicing pre-bunny hop pops.

Below is the same geo but with a kicker lip that goes beyond the 30° launch angle. This is where the circle and eclipse will differ. The further you go past the 30° launch angle, the circle will produce a milder kicker, whereas the eclipse profile kicker will be more pronounced. The one I built for the BMX boys is near identical to the eclipse profile (below right).

Hope this helps. (y)

View attachment 44277
cool, thanks for that, I didnt think if using an ellipse as the template, I just used a circle for the ramps i made so far..
having looked at some vids online of the MTB hopper, thats has a 3 part transition on the take off, no radius but 3 parts that are all flat where the angle changes to steeper between each one.. I think im gonna experiment with that setup as well..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
cool, thanks for that, I didnt think if using an ellipse as the template, I just used a circle for the ramps i made so far..
having looked at some vids online of the MTB hopper, thats has a 3 part transition on the take off, no radius but 3 parts that are all flat where the angle changes to steeper between each one.. I think im gonna experiment with that setup as well..
I highly recommend building a patented Zimmer Safety ramp ..

loop.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Jumps with or without a kicker are both relevant though most natural trail jumps don't have a kicker. A kicker encourages more height but less distance and also needs a different jump technique not least if the ramp is quite long because it decelerates the bike more. I think the length of the ramp is more important than the profile in order to make something that works well. Anything less than the length of the wheelbase of the bike makes timing more difficult I reckon.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Jumps with or without a kicker are both relevant though most natural trail jumps don't have a kicker. A kicker encourages more height but less distance and also needs a different jump technique not least if the ramp is quite long because it decelerates the bike more. I think the length of the ramp is more important than the profile in order to make something that works well. Anything less than the length of the wheelbase of the bike makes timing more difficult I reckon.
sure... youve seen the ramps ive made so far and the last one I did was still too kicky but about the right length, thats my starting point for the new builds.. I need to make a modular and lighter weight landing too.. make it easier to move around and setup

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles