ok bit early but 2021 levo predictions ?

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
ok don't kill me lol but I've been thinking about upgrading from base 19 levo to a 2020 carbon , mainly for the looks and bigger battery ,the question is what will sept bring when next yers bikes are announced ? a new stronger version of the levo sl motor , slacker geo , 750 battery , what do you think ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I thought you were getting an S-Works ?

Range extenders like the SL as a standard option.

Charge port moved and possibly changed to the same format as the SL ? (which you'd need to do if they were going to run range extenders.. )

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
2021 is now off the design board and now looking at production "how toos". So more of the same for 2021.

Now 2022 could be interesting, SL1.2 motor with about 550 - 600W which is suddenly magicked from the 1.1 motor ( total output is just software controlled and looking at the internals, its there already, but software limited to 240 W ) and voila the Levo looks just likes it brother the SL with a bit more slackness at the front and a bigger battery but weighing 3 kgs less

But if there was an SL with 500 - 600W and bigger battery, why would you need a Levo, its big brother would be the Kinevo, could we see the Levo totally dropped in 2022.

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
I thought you were getting an S-Works ?

Range extenders like the SL as a standard option.

Charge port moved and possibly changed to the same format as the SL ? (which you'd need to do if they were going to run range extenders.. )
no s works for me , don't see the point.The other things you mention would both be good

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I’d like a 20KG 48v Mahle powered full fat Levo with revised geometry (good for taller people).

And an Evo version of the above with 170/160 for those who like big travel comfortable bikes.
But if you added a 760WH battery, larger tyres, beefier front suspension, the SL would be your 20Kg bike.

Your 170/160 is Kinevo territory or would you want to be in that 200/180 for the Kinevo.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Would be stunning but would you buy an SL at that point if the new Levo was only say 1 - 2kgs heavier with slightly longer suspenders and bigger 2.6 tyres and with the magic 700WH battery
Would there be a market for a 16.9 Kg SL vs a 20 KG full fat? For sure.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Exactly what I'm after, a bike I between the Levo and kenevo, I will prob end up with an Orbea Wild
Get the 2020 kevevo comp and put a 170 lyric on it , Lightweight 2.4 tyres with inserts and carbon bars will bring the weight down !

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Get the 2020 kevevo comp and put a 170 lyric on it , Lightweight 2.4 tyres with inserts and carbon bars will bring the weight down !
Im just not sure I want a 180mm travel bike for the majority of my riding will be overkill

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
2021 is now off the design board and now looking at production "how toos". So more of the same for 2021.

Now 2022 could be interesting, SL1.2 motor with about 550 - 600W which is suddenly magicked from the 1.1 motor ( total output is just software controlled and looking at the internals, its there already, but software limited to 240 W ) and voila the Levo looks just likes it brother the SL with a bit more slackness at the front and a bigger battery but weighing 3 kgs less

But if there was an SL with 500 - 600W and bigger battery, why would you need a Levo, its big brother would be the Kinevo, could we see the Levo totally dropped in 2022.

you do realise that all uk ebikes are capped at 250watts of assist don't you. they add a percentage of your input.
e.g. if your putting 250 watts through the pedals in say tour mode or 100% assist the motor will add 250 watts

if your in 300% assist mode putting in 250 watts with your legs the motor will add 250 watts.

not sure what the rules are in other parts of the world but thats the situation in the uk.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
you do realise that all uk ebikes are capped at 250watts of assist don't you. they add a percentage of your input.
e.g. if your putting 250 watts through the pedals in say tour mode or 100% assist the motor will add 250 watts

if your in 300% assist mode putting in 250 watts with your legs the motor will add 250 watts.

not sure what the rules are in other parts of the world but thats the situation in the uk.
This is not completely right :unsure:
The EU law says: The motor must only provide "continuous max power of 250w"
So 250 watts are only nominal :sneaky:
But the Brose 1.3 has a peak power of 774 watts at my bike - others have measured about 780 watts.
This is regardless of derestricting the max speed.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
This is not completely right :unsure:
The EU law says: The motor must only provide "continuous max power of 250w"
So 250 watts are only nominal :sneaky:
But the Brose 1.3 has a peak power of 774 watts at my bike - others have measured about 780 watts.
This is regardless of derestricting the max speed.
That's not what UK law states, it states a Maximum of 250 Watts. There is no mention of nominal.

Screenshot_20200216_144438_com.android.chrome.jpg

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
E-Bikes other then Battery Have Gone as Far as they are going to Go. Now the Price needs to come down . Which appears somewhat to be slowly happening : Software will surely Improve : ANd batteries maybe : But other then that what is Left ? Light Carbon ? Some material lighter for engines??

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks

Nope and yes, the rules are simply that the motor has the ability to maintain 250W "reliably" and be no faster than 25kph. We have onboard recording on our bikes and have ours set to 600W max and both the Rail and Scott 2019's will pull away in Turbo mode, my guess they are up in that 750W bracket ( sssh don't tell anyone ).
Bike EU

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Last edited:

Andy price

Jan 23, 2020
Staffordshire
Spesh at the weekend says the 2021 will still run a brose motor, and made it sound like it would be the same 2.1 motor.
I asked the question about the 2021 motor and your right they did say brose but never answered and if it was a gen 3. I'm on the fence about it
But still ordered my 2020 levo

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
My predictions for the 2021 Levo? A shedload of marketing hyperbolae, infomercials clogging up YouTube for a week and huge numbers of grumpy existing owners when they find out the Brose motor has been dropped... ;)

ecotrials

Sep 9, 2019
Lafayette, CA, USA
I wouldn't call this a 2021 prediction, but the next big thing, in my opinion, would be regenerative braking from the rear wheel. I have been thinking about it, but the rear derailleur and freewheeling cogs present a problem. I was thinking a constant mesh of the output shaft sprocket to the rear wheel sprocket (perhaps a 1 to 1 sprocket teeth ratio) would allow for regeneration, with a mechanism to regenerate without spinning the pedals. So the details of pedal input for power, some type of freewheeling pedals during regen, and a mechanism for how much regen braking is required, which could be as simple as a thumb potentiometer.

I suppose another alternative would be to have a hub motor configuration on the front wheel too, freewheeling when not braking; but the weight would be a hefty price to pay, even though you would likely regenerate more from the front wheel and would not have to mess with the drive train at all. Hmmm. If only we could get the weight of the generator down....

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Single speed fixed chain drive, 10 speed internal gearbox / motor combo and electro internal sprag clutch would give you all the regenerative power you want, the software to organise the speed control ( if the speed is more than the pedaling output on comes the regenerative braking ) and when and how much regenerative to allow at what time would be every 3rd year AI student with an unlimited budgets dream.

Would it be all worthwhile, nah probably put the price of the Levo into Tesla car territory and the weight and wiring would make lifting it over a style impossible. You then would have to take environmental considerations into account, would the cost to the planet of manufacturing all the paraphernalia and gubbins ever pay back to the planet to that of simply fitting a slightly bigger battery and charging it.

I must be bored to have just written all that :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles