Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Is it black or grey? It looks gunmetal grey in the photo which I thought was the US spec Comp

Definitely black. Definitely an expert. All the other bits are as they should be now I've checked it all. Back to Rutland we go..
EDIT It feels a bit weak riding it around also, not much power despite a full battery. Need to check its not got the 1.2 motor also.

15664749881628227335100001596864.jpg

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
It does look hot with that blacked out spring though. But yeah get it checked out, you should get what you paid for.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
The firmware is old but the bike is exactly as it should be bar the wrong shock. The fox van came with a 450 spare and fitted 650.
I'm actually wondering if I should negotiate a decent discount and keep the fox van rather than getting Rutland to fit the correct ohlins? It looks pretty smart all in black. the bottle cage can't be used with the piggyback though, which is annoying.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The firmware is old but the bike is exactly as it should be bar the wrong shock. The fox van came with a 450 spare and fitted 650.
I'm actually wondering if I should negotiate a decent discount and keep the fox van rather than getting Rutland to fit the correct ohlins? It looks pretty smart all in black. the bottle cage can't be used with the piggyback though, which is annoying.

You can still use it - and maintain the black theme !

cage.jpg

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
And now the battery wont turn on! Ive definitely got a friday afternoon special.
The only way I can get it to work is to plug the charger in briefly which brings it back to working order.
Certainly not convenient when I've planned to drive to the trails tomorrow for a ride.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Feck ! that's frustrating .. The specialized stuff is all new to me, so I'm not much use. Not sure if holding down the power for X seconds does a reset or not.

Can you get it to connect with mission control ? you can check somethings in there too and check the firmware etc at the same time - like mine.

Diy Firmware Update ? - EMTB Forums

If I get time later I'll see if the Fidlock bottle fits on the Kenevo. Probably too long at a guess without looking, so might need the 450ml one.

They held it back for a new battery didn't they ? humbug !

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Yes I saw that thread of yours. My motor is the same at 5.0.4 which is current, despite another thread saying I needed 5.4.0 ..
Shame the bloody mission control software doesnt tell you its out of date & to go go to the shop, or ideally let you flash it remotely.
The battery however is 16.1 so thats a full revision behind for sure.
If they did indeed swap the battery, then that would indicate a further electric problem causing it to go into 'dont switch on mode'.

Also the software reports wheel circumference as 800mm. There is another thread about this and de-restriction with someone else saying they have the same. Certainly mine seems to bomb along at a fair old lick!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Shame the bloody mission control software doesnt tell you its out of date & to go go to the shop, or ideally let you flash it remotely.
Would be nice .. I can't even get the mission control software to show me power and amperage usage ?! just seems to show my speed and a couple of other bits.. I guess I'm being dumb.

In a way I can understand why they might not want people updating the firmware remotely. It's nice being able to do it on the E8000, but I think of all the things I've updated the firmware on in life and waited in a cold sweat wondering if it will be a success or brick it.

Does make you wonder if they've had a problem with yours.

Also the software reports wheel circumference as 800mm. There is another thread about this and de-restriction with someone else saying they have the same. Certainly mine seems to bomb along at a fair old lick!

I saw that thread.. Also a Kenevo ! They dont' call it a TURBO Kenevo for nothing. 800mm must give 60kph or more ? With the shock, the problem starting, the battery firmware not upto date and the 800mm, you're probably in a good place to tear them a new one ! The 800 would suggest someone took it out for a test ride and used Blevo to change the speed to max. Naughty Rutland !

Keep us upto date on your adventures getting it sorted, hopefully you can get it all done ASAP and enjoy the thing the way a Kenevo is supposed to be Enjoyed !!! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Quick Coffee Break test ....

Fidlock 600 does not fit the Kenevo Expert. I think the Fidlock 450 would probably fit.

Need to find a new place for the swat tool if you went that way.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Would be nice .. I can't even get the mission control software to show me power and amperage usage ?! just seems to show my speed and a couple of other bits.. I guess I'm being dumb.
:)

I can see current under diagnose > battery. The max I saw with me holding the phone with one hand & pedalling hard was about 12 amps. I recall seeing I should see up to 20amps on another site, lots of disjointed information.
Anyway, waiting for a callback from the shop.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I can see current under diagnose > battery. The max I saw with me holding the phone with one hand & pedalling hard was about 12 amps. I recall seeing I should see up to 20amps on another site, lots of disjointed information.
Anyway, waiting for a callback from the shop.
Ah ha ! I was right .. I was being dumb .. I was looking at "motor" to see what it was drawing .. not "battery" .. will try that !

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
The easiest way to see if your motor delivers the 20A is to find a small hill, set “Turbo” to 100/100 and pedal as hard as you can in a little too high a gear for normal riding. MC should instantly show just around 20A. If not, it’s on the Brose fall back safe firmware and it then need a forced firmware update from a specialized dealer. This is for the 1.3 motor, I do believe that the 1.2 is limited to 15A by Specialized.

Karsten

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
The easiest way to see if your motor delivers the 20A is to find a small hill, set “Turbo” to 100/100 and pedal as hard as you can in a little too high a e 1.3 motor, I do believe that the 1.2 is limited to 15A by Specialized.

Karsten

Useful. I hadnt set it to 100% on turbo. I think the default is 50% or so. If I can get the damn thing to turn on later, I will try it :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A two minute "play" in the interest of scientific advancement .. uhmmmm .. ok, so it was just a 2 minute play ..

Did the Karsten technique, twice .. same results both times .. 80% battery.

High gear, standing start, hill .. (how does Karsten know this technique when there are no hills in Denmark ?)

Firstly, whilst I think the E8000 hardtail will just outpace the Kenevo on a lot of none technical climbs - the Kenevo accelerates FAR harder - you really feel the extra torque ! It's a BEAST !

battery.png

Nowhere on Strava can I find an option to award myself a KOM for taking a screen shot whilst under full power ! Stupidity should be recognised and rewarded !

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Well the bike went into the awesome berkshire cycles yesterday morning for diagnosis. They did a proper pdi on it also. Updated the battery which had failed updates apparently.
I then went to aston hill for the day. Bike was amazing. I usually only do about 5 pushups on my dh bike but on this was riding to the top each time. Riding bits I have never ever done before uphill like the xc loop, it opened new doors! I could feel the wave of hate as I rode past the sweaty pushers going up the hill :giggle:
Battery was nearly flat after 10 ups, about 3500ft elevation & 11 miles & I didnt even use turbo, well a little maybe!
But today of course the battery wont turn on again unless briefly connected to the charger. BOLLOCKS. Back to the shop on Tuesday.

EDIT: the shop also had more love for the fox van than the ohlins, so I may try to get some money off rather than waiting on rutlands trying to source the correct shock for this bike. Retail a fox van is about £300, the ohlins £600. If I can get £100 or so back that will do I recon.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Faulty battery swapped out. Bike is working as expected now. No longer will I have to reach into the back of my van whilst driving to the trails to keep switching the battery on every 30 mins or so to ensure its going to work when I arrive :D

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just went out for a quick play on mine. Absolutely knackered and I've pulled my shoulder so took it easy and only popped out for an hour. It truly is a capable beast !!! Obviously getting used to the way the motor delivers the power as some uphill KOM's were finally obtained. Brakes keep getting better and better (time and adjustments). Despite all my bolt checks, the seat angle bolt came loose on a hard climb, so obviously didn't tighten that up properly ! Tyres are performing far better than expected ....so far ... Did a few meters on the road and they roll far better on tarmac than DHR/DHF's and don't sound like a tractor, so I guess they're a bit more of a mixed tyre when it comes down to it. It's incredibly composed and confidence inspiring (didn't fall off, use brakes far less). Gears had felt a bit hit and miss on changes despite adjustments until I did the D screw and wound the derailleur in - now much smoother. It just eats everything you throw at it. It makes a muppet feel competent !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Forgot to add a picture ..

ken.jpg

KENEVO NICE ! :)

If rumours are to be believed then it's looking like the 2020 will have a more levo like frame, so that will be how they get the weight down. Still 27.5. Levo , or modded levo motor.

So the new one will be really really nice, lighter, more nimble .. BUT .. in years to come, if you want to build a solid enduro e-bike, the first gen Kenevo will be the bike to start with due to it's solidity .. a future classic ! :) a modern day monster :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahahah I was just saying the same thing.
The one and only Kenevo! Definitely a future classic!

Throw a bit of locktite in those threads. The bolts do come from the factory with some but my dealer added their own to help combat this. I just tighten them ever ride as it takes me 2 minutes and I need excuses to touch my bike when not riding it.
Seriously wicked bike! Don’t know how they going to top it.
The Levo Evo has some big shoes to fill!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
I had had a bit of a result after my purchasing woes. The shop offered me £300 back due to the wrong shock as they couldnt find the ohlins, way way more that I was expecting. This along with £44 of rewards from the bike purchase, plus a £50 off code on their website, plus them being £35 cheaper than other places, brought the price of a new spare battery down to £321 :eek:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had had a bit of a result after my purchasing woes. The shop offered me £300 back due to the wrong shock as they couldnt find the ohlins, way way more that I was expecting. This along with £44 of rewards from the bike purchase, plus a £50 off code on their website, plus them being £35 cheaper than other places, brought the price of a new spare battery down to £321 :eek:

What shock have you got?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ok, so I know Christian needs some ride reports as I'm his new born Kenevo Baby and he's out of action himself for the moment ..

Just found a few minutes to squeeze in a quick ride, shoulders knackered so nothing exciting.

13km's, 38 minutes, 440meters. Interestingly, I only used 2 bars of battery (didn't check the %) even though I tried "lazy mode" (trail) for most of the ride instead of eco... go figure...

God I love this bike.

13.1 km Mountain Bike Ride on August 30, 2019 by Zimmer F. on Strava

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I do enjoy your reports! It feels really nice to be able to share the same enjoyment I get out of my bike every time I ride it.
No offence to others but the Kenevo is a bike in its own class.
It just has this feeling I can’t describe, it makes me happy all the time.

Also false alarm on the cracked ribs, turns out it was just deep bruising or possibly torn something. Still hurts to drive, sneeze and stretch in the mornings but I still went out yesterday. Almost crashed again too but Evy saved my ass with her killer geo and flat out awesomeness!
I got a creek jump that’s been begging for me to conquer. Just gotta find my balls first.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles