Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I'm only 60k in but really enjoying it so far, quite different from the Merida

Newbie question that I can't find in the manual. I've adjusted the saddle moving it up and slightly back but can't see how to level it. I can pop back into the shop but figured I'd ask here first. Sorry if its dead easy and I'm missing the obvious but I've not used this type of dropper before

Loosen the pivot bolt under the seat, adjust it, tighten it up again

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Considering a Kenevo Comp fattie. The only concern I have is that even on MY 2019 bikes the engine is speced as 1.2E and battery at 460wh. I realise this bike is also much less money than a 2019 Levo.

If you're fine with the other components of the Kenevo Comp and don't want to spend the bugs for the Kenevo Expert, don't worry too much about the 1.2E motor. It's still strong enough and you will speed up the hills with a smile in your face anyway.
The battery is 10% smaller, but the motor is not drawing the same max amount of power from it, so the range difference might be less than the 10% from just comparing the numbers.

itaylorweb

Apr 16, 2019
Manchester, UK
Hi guys, new to this forum, but been following it for a while. I bought a Kenevo in january - and just love it :)

I am however wondering if any of you have a link to a bearing-chart ?

I cant find anything, and also need exploded view of the bike - how to disasemble everything etc. The manual that was enclosed is not what I am used to when working on motocross bikes :) . I found the spring-chart for the rear shock, and it transformed the bike completely when I got it for my weight of 100 kg

I have ridden 700 km on it now, and is on my 3 KMC-Echain ( changing when it gets to 0,5), expect to use these 3 chains to 0,75 and then change casette,front and chains again. but I actually thought I would get more out of it than possible 1200-1400 km ? Ride mostly in eco, but on lots of hills. Reason for looking for bearings allready, is that the rear-wheel bearings allready has a little movement.

If you guys have any good advise concerning special tools etc I need to have, pls let me know :)

best regards
Allan, Denmark

For the rear wheel bearings you will need a skinny 18mm pedal spanner and something like an adjustable to undo the non drive side lock nuts on the axle. a 12mm allen key will help with the axle too. a cassette tool to remove the cassette, a long metal bar to tap out the old bearings and a suitable sized socket for tapping the new ones in (think it was around 22mm). The bearing code is 6903. I bought 2 61903 which are ABEC-5. supposedly military grade specification regarding tolerances etc... time will tell but they feel good. :) 61903-LLB ABEC5 Enduro Bike Bearing 17x30x7

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
For the rear wheel bearings you will need a skinny 18mm pedal spanner and something like an adjustable to undo the non drive side lock nuts on the axle. a 12mm allen key will help with the axle too. a cassette tool to remove the cassette, a long metal bar to tap out the old bearings and a suitable sized socket for tapping the new ones in (think it was around 22mm). The bearing code is 6903. I bought 2 61903 which are ABEC-5. supposedly military grade specification regarding tolerances etc... time will tell but they feel good. :) 61903-LLB ABEC5 Enduro Bike Bearing 17x30x7

thx for the info Itaylorweb - have been on vacation, thats why my late response :)
rgds
Allan

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
Welcome to the family :)

No info on the bearings, but there are kenevo bearing kits to buy, maybe you can find some article numbers or infos in the shops.

3 Chains in 700km? I passed my 700km with the lovely Kenevo this month and i'm still on my first stock-chain which is not yet on 0,75 (but close to). Are you aggressively changing gears with power on the pedals?

Hi Donnie, - I am changing gears a LOT, and when downshifting (higher gear/speed) I usually clic 2 gears at a time, without load on it - but perhaps this is twisting the chain too much ?? I will try shifting more easy and see if it helps. any tips on where to get the casette/front sprocket at good prices ?

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Hi Donnie, - I am changing gears a LOT, and when downshifting (higher gear/speed) I usually clic 2 gears at a time, without load on it - but perhaps this is twisting the chain too much ?? I will try shifting more easy and see if it helps. any tips on where to get the casette/front sprocket at good prices ?

I change gears a lot, too and also two right after another if i need to. Do you wait that half second after releasing the load on the pedal before switching gears? Because the motor still puts load on the drivetrain for this short time. But if you do, you can clearly hear it, so i guess you don't ^^

Maybe it's maintenance (but i only lube my chain after every 2-3 rides and always when it was wet) or you put more load on the chain because you're stronger and ride up steeper hills :)

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
I think I wait that little extra time , because as you say - you can clearly hear it when it is done wrong :) I am pretty strong, but I think my weight of 100 kg is what is killing it more than my strengh haha :) I always lube before each ride - so just have to see if I can improve chain-life

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi guys, new to this forum, but been following it for a while. I bought a Kenevo in january - and just love it :)

I cant find anything, and also need exploded view of the bike - how to disasemble everything etc. The manual that was enclosed is not what I am used to when working on motocross bikes :) . I found the spring-chart for the rear shock, and it transformed the bike completely when I got it for my weight of 100 kg

I have ridden 700 km on it now, and is on my 3 KMC-Echain ( changing when it gets to 0,5), expect to use these 3 chains to 0,75 and then change casette,front and chains again. but I actually thought I would get more out of it than possible 1200-1400 km ? Ride mostly in eco, but on lots of hills. Reason for looking for bearings allready, is that the rear-wheel bearings allready has a little movement.

If you guys have any good advise concerning special tools etc I need to have, pls let me know :)

best regards
Allan, Denmark
Hi Allan,
Welcome to the Kenevo club!

Can't help with the bearing chart. My Kenevo Comp has covered 850 miles and I have had a few similar problems.

I've also had a problem with chains but EMC have been very good by supplying new chains free of charge.1st stock chain measured >0.5% after 80 miles. 2nd chain measured > 0,5% after 80 miles too, 3rd chain measured > 0.75 after 400 miles, 4th chain was jumping on cassette when fitted so had to fit a new cassette at the same time. So far the 4th chain and new cassette have lasted 250 miles and chain has not yet reached the 0.5% limit - best so far. I fitted a Sunrace cassette as gear ratios are better and the Shimano cassette was worn very badly especially in lower gears (largest cogs). 4th chain is an EMC e11 EPT chain and seems to be lasting the best of all the chains. KMC maintenance guide offers some good advice see: MAINTENANCE
One of my rear wheel bearings is beginning to feel a little rough when rotated with my finger but I've also had to re-tighted the wheel axle lock nuts a few times as they've worked loose. Maybe this is your problem?

Latest problem I'm having is that the battery will not charge and charger LED illuminates Green indicating fully charged even though the battery is only at 5% according to Mission Control which also shows 100% healthy battery. Charger has already been replaced under warranty but this did not resolve the issue so I'm waiting to hear back from Specialized about next steps. Hopefully a new battery. Everything works fine apart from the battery charging. Has anyone else had this problem?

Other than those issues I'm really enjoying my Kenevo but wish it was as reliable as my son's Trek LT7 which had a chain replaced at 300 miles (>.75% wear) but no other problems and has now done 400 miles on similar routes as my Kenevo.

Cheers

Brian

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
Creaking noise solved/found !
I have had this annoying creaking noise from what I thought was the crank. It has been frustrating the last 1-2 weeks, and after several tightening etc I today unmounted first the dropper-post completely - no change, then losened retightened everything, had wheels off ,thougt it came from rear swinger or shock. finally I took of the battery and took it for a ride-
VOILA !!! It simply was the battery making the creaking noise every time i moved/used the pedals. I have been riding dry dusty conditions the last 3-4 weeks, and dust/sand must have build up or something ? I cleaned it completely - also frame and every connectionpoints, and gave battery a silicone-cloth all over. its a new bike again !
just wanted to let you guys know - as I thougth I had to pull the engine as described somewhere - but try battery first - it worked for me :)
Allan

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.

best regards
Allan, Denmark

Hey Allan

I've had my Kenevo for nearly a year - Luv it - only issue thus far was rear wheel play which was after warranty bearing replacements eventually tracked down to problems with the hub itself, wheel rebuild onto a new hub sorted it.
Good luck.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Hi

I have a Turbo Kenevo Comp 2019. I'm using Specialized's own Mission Control app Version 2.0.8. On my bike the app shows the Motor firmware is 5.4.0 and the Battery firmware is 4.17.1. On the Tune page the app shows the wheel circumference is 2300mm. I have NOT modified this using a 3rd party app but the original dealer is saying this is not the default wheel circumference setting for my bike. The only explanation I can give is that a different dealer did a firmware upgrade to the battery which was originally 4.16.3 and the circumference may have been set then but I'm not sure if this is possible? - I thought 4.17.1 prevented updates to this setting.

Can anyone with a Turbo Kenevo Comp 2019, with battery firmware 4.17.1, who haven't changed their settings with a 3rd party app, please tell me their Wheel Circumference setting.

Thanks in advance!

Brizi

itaylorweb

Apr 16, 2019
Manchester, UK
Hi

I have a Turbo Kenevo Comp 2019. I'm using Specialized's own Mission Control app Version 2.0.8. On my bike the app shows the Motor firmware is 5.4.0 and the Battery firmware is 4.17.1. On the Tune page the app shows the wheel circumference is 2300mm. I have NOT modified this using a 3rd party app but the original dealer is saying this is not the default wheel circumference setting for my bike. The only explanation I can give is that a different dealer did a firmware upgrade to the battery which was originally 4.16.3 and the circumference may have been set then but I'm not sure if this is possible? - I thought 4.17.1 prevented updates to this setting.

Can anyone with a Turbo Kenevo Comp 2019, with battery firmware 4.17.1, who haven't changed their settings with a 3rd party app, please tell me their Wheel Circumference setting.

Thanks in advance!

Brizi
Should be 2255

I can't confirm what a kenevo comp on that firmware is but my 2019 expert kenevo is 2255

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
noisy crank bearing Kenevo ?
Hi guys - have now 1000k on my Kenevo, and a little noise seems to come frome the crank-bearings when I turn the pedals backwards. Can only be heard when I sit down and listen when spinning pedals backwards, then the noise come uneven at a certain point of the pedals. Not dramatic or anything, just annoys me. Anyone of you that have had problems with this - and have done anything to it ?
rgds
Allan

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Mines doing the same light growl while pedaling backwards as well. I’m probably around 600 miles in on mine. May be some pitting in the bearing races. Mines still under warranty until October. Figured I’d do the wait and see procedure.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Nope. It’s when you spin the cranks backwards and it’s disengaged spinning freely. Sounds like rough bearing surfaces. No crunching yet like in the old days of cup and cones.

It is properly the needle bearing sitting on the main axle starting to deteriorate and eventually soon lock up so you cannot spin the pedals backwards without chain turning too. It is apparently a very common issue on the older Brose motor design. There is a trick to pour oil into the bearing from the outside and quite a few have had success doing so, however the experts warn the if oil goes further into the engine it will destroy the belt. There is another thread here where you in detail can see the oiling trick but also what could happen:

Specialized Levo - pedals not spinning freely in reverse - EMTB Forums

As the motor is on its way to die anyway I would either give it a try or hand it in for waranty before it dies completely.

Karsten

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Nope. It’s when you spin the cranks backwards and it’s disengaged spinning freely. Sounds like rough bearing surfaces. No crunching yet like in the old days of cup and cones.

Just tried mine (about 800 miles old), it doesn't feel super smooth and makes a slight whistling noise. It does feel like a little roughness but not that bad. I know it disengages from the drive sprocket but the shaft sounds like it's driving the internal belts - hence the noise. As long as it rotates freely and has no play I can't see it being a problem. Why not go and try a new one in a shop to put your mind at rest?

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Just tried mine (about 800 miles old), it doesn't feel super smooth and makes a slight whistling noise. It does feel like a little roughness but not that bad. I know it disengages from the drive sprocket but the shaft sounds like it's driving the internal belts - hence the noise. As long as it rotates freely and has no play I can't see it being a problem. Why not go and try a new one in a shop to put your mind at rest?
My wife’s Levo has much less miles and doesn’t make the sound. Actually has a firmer resistance to rotating backwards. Probably because the grease is still present in the races.

I’m not gonna worry about it unless it gets noticeably worse or I get close to the expiration of my warranty. Not bad enough for me to bother my local shop with yet. I wouldn’t try oiling it either since that would probably void the warranty if it got into the belt system.

Just keeping mental notes of all the rattles and growls that develop over time.

DK_EBIKER

May 6, 2019
Denmark
just ordered this badboy :) cant wait to shred som trails ;)

spesh-kenevo-02-1504267475960-s2ut51y2uf0v-1000-100-c80dc5a.jpg

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
the kenevo had 0 issues in 2800 miles. the levo is 2 months old probably less than 300 miles.
Licky you! My 2019 Kenevo now has about 1000 miles on and problems so far have been: fast wearing chains (poor quality original), worn drive side rear wheel bearing (probable cause - overtightend locknuts when came loose), replacement battery (wouldn't charge) and now has grumbling crank bearings (not too bad - but will avoid washing as much as possible). I'm more concerned about what happens when the warranty ends since crank bearings/motor are not servicable by Specialized dealers - which would mean new motor.... like your Levo I guess - see if Specialized will replace the motor under warranty?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles