Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Further testing sorry

Rode without the battery. Rattle still there

Fox 38s are making a knocking noise. See video. Is this normal? (Need to point out that the above rattle is still there even when I rode with the Pikes)

Replaced the entire headset assembly hope stuff except for a ritchey gold upper bearing. No longer have any play in the slack cup. Much better water seal by the look of it too. Might also be worth me pointing out that I do know how to tighten up a headset.

There is obvious wear showing on the inside of the lowers as though the forks out of whack and its been wearing more in one section.170 air shaft is now in so my warranty on the 38s is probably done for. I think it works well but the rear end is lacking now. Still think my 38s feel harsh unless I run the pressure low and have to deal with bottom outs.

Something I've had since new. When I put it in turbo and pedal from a standstill then suddenly stop there is a knock when the motor cuts out from what I assume is the motor or the lower linkages. Is this normal please?

Thanks

20211119_211906.jpg

20211119_211913.jpg

sometimesjoe

Mar 17, 2021
SF Bay Area, Ca
Further testing sorry

Fox 38s are making a knocking noise. See video. Is this normal? (Need to point out that the above rattle is still there even when I rode with the Pikes)

Replaced the entire headset assembly hope stuff except for a ritchey gold upper bearing. No longer have any play in the slack cup. Much better water seal by the look of it too. Might also be worth me pointing out that I do know how to tighten up a headset.

There is obvious wear showing on the inside of the lowers as though the forks out of whack and its been wearing more in one section.170 air shaft is now in so my warranty on the 38s is probably done for. I think it works well but the rear end is lacking now. Still think my 38s feel harsh unless I run the pressure low and have to deal with bottom outs.

Something I've had since new. When I put it in turbo and pedal from a standstill then suddenly stop there is a knock when the motor cuts out from what I assume is the motor or the lower linkages. Is this normal please?

Thanks

View attachment 76359

View attachment 76360
Which Hope did you get? I might have to go this route, too to eliminate the play.

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Which Hope did you get? I might have to go this route, too to eliminate the play.

The pick and mix stuff. I bought from SJS cycles

3 Hope Headset Shim - Silver - 0.4mm - HS127 (sure the FSA one would be fine)
1 Hope 07 Upper Taper Ring - Silver - HS124S
1 Hope 07 Top Cover - Black - HS126N
1 Hope 1 1/2" Headset Crown Race - Silver - HS137S
1 Hope 07 Top Seal - HS125

Whatever you do don't get a head doctor.

Ritchey WCS Headset Bearing Gold 1.1/8"45°x45°x41.8 (Wiggle)

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Further testing sorry

Thanks

View attachment 76359

View attachment 76360

I'm 100% sure that there's something rattling around in my frame. Probably something in yours too. Check out my tread "help me find the rattle" and you'll see the shit that others have found. GL

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
I had a read of that thread. Absolute joke. Spesh have really dropped a bollock haven't they.

Be interesting to ride the bike with the new headset in place. Ill try get out again soon and ill keep reporting back

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
The internal plastic cable routing rattles. I installed AXS on my Pro and pulled out the dropper and mech plastic sleeves. It helped reduce my rattle very significantly. There is one plastic sleeve remaining which is for the rear brake. I was going to pull this out and the use a foam sleeve.

if you look where the plastic cable goes, down the frame arm near the shock, and if you manually wiggle the cable from outside the frame, the sleeve knocks on the frame inside. I’ve now pushed some bubble wrap into the frame and this has stopped the sleeve moving. I’ve also wrapped all the other electric cables in bubble wrap, I am confident that they will no longer move and cause a rattle.

not sure why Spesh use this routing method rather than put moulded tubes in the frame?

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
The internal plastic cable routing rattles. I installed AXS on my Pro and pulled out the dropper and mech plastic sleeves. It helped reduce my rattle very significantly. There is one plastic sleeve remaining which is for the rear brake. I was going to pull this out and the use a foam sleeve.

if you look where the plastic cable goes, down the frame arm near the shock, and if you manually wiggle the cable from outside the frame, the sleeve knocks on the frame inside. I’ve now pushed some bubble wrap into the frame and this has stopped the sleeve moving. I’ve also wrapped all the other electric cables in bubble wrap, I am confident that they will no longer move and cause a rattle.

not sure why Spesh use this routing method rather than put moulded tubes in the frame?

I've moved to AXS as well, put bubble wrap in place down the top tube and under the cables although I may jam some more down there now you have said that. Seems a real shame to remove it. What do you do when you rip off a derailleur and cant get a replacement for 3 months and the cable routing is gone?

My old stumpy had foam internal routing I think.

Stone0207

Mar 9, 2019
Roedermark
Really wondering why this didn‘t come up so far: I am riding my Expert since around 800 kms now. When going above 25km/h there is a very noticeable resistance from the motor. It’s not about the resistance when pedaling, it is that the bike is not free when rolling downhill. Feels like you’re held back by a rubber band… or like recuperation in a plugin-hybrid car what is slowing you down.
Maybe some hidden feature 🙄

I also do have a Scott trekking bike with a Brose Drive S – where this is definitely not the case. When I am riding with buddies on their 2020 and 21 Levos – it is not the case on their bikes. I am always falling behind when we are cruising on a slight downhill, no pedaling.

It has been discussed in the german forum, others also feel it, but the discussion just died at some point.

As more people now have the bike – didn’t you notice? really annoying….

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
Really wondering why this didn‘t come up so far: I am riding my Expert since around 800 kms now. When going above 25km/h there is a very noticeable resistance from the motor. It’s not about the resistance when pedaling, it is that the bike is not free when rolling downhill. Feels like you’re held back by a rubber band… or like recuperation in a plugin-hybrid car what is slowing you down.

I also do have a Scott trekking bike with a Brose Drive S – where this is definitely not the case. When I am riding with buddies on their 2020 and 21 Levos – it is not the case on their bikes. I am always falling behind when we are cruising on a slight downhill, no pedaling.

It has been discussed in the german forum, others also feel it, but the discussion just died at some point.

That shouldn't have any resistance, as you're not "help-up" by the motor, but rather the freewheel of the wheels. Check your bearings :)

Stone0207

Mar 9, 2019
Roedermark
That shouldn't have any resistance, as you're not "help-up" by the motor, but rather the freewheel of the wheels. Check your bearings :)
That is too easy imo…my buddy has it on his 22 Expert, two or three reported on the german pedelecforum. As you own the bike - can you indeed confirm that it is not the case with yours?

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
That is too easy imo…my buddy has it on his 22 Expert, two or three reported on the german pedelecforum. As you own the bike - can you indeed confirm that it is not the case with yours?
I do not feel like the bike is holding me back. It is impossible for your motor to drag on the downhill, as you're cruising down. Here you are slowed down by your tires and/or freehub.

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey

No

As said some things to check

Wheel Bearings spin freely
Freehub (not sure on this one though)
Tires
Brake Calipers dragging

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
I’ve had my S3 now for a few rides and I normally remove the battery to charge. Why is it so difficult to remove this battery? I have 1 spacer on the expander at the end of the battery. If I remove that spacer it slides right out, but I’m worried of a rattle I’ve been reading about. Is it normal to be so difficult to remove. It’s like I have to use the battery as a slide hammer.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I think it is S4 and above that need additional spacers, maybe you have them installed? two small plastic shims?
My post further up covers all this and there are pictures and descriptions.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
I think it is S4 and above that need additional spacers, maybe you have them installed? two small plastic shims?
My post further up covers all this and there are pictures and descriptions.
It came with 1 spacer installed and i have a spare in the small parts bag. Was thinking of removing the 1 and having none installed

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Well I payed $24,000.00 Australian for my S Works 3 months ago and they still can't tell me if it will be here this year, it's starting to effect my health. I am starting to think of going to a different brand.

Same here. But I only have a deposit in. SHop said bike was allocated and then it never came. They blamed on rep. No idea what’s really going on but I suspect they didn’t get all the bikes they though they were getting. Apparently I still *might* get the bike before Christmas.

I have another bike (e160 Merida). So it’s just an inconvenience for me. But it’s not a great look for Specialized.

Gordon

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
If your on the fence about a gen3, yes the pricing is crazy expensive but my god you won’t stop smiling, it’s an absolute monster. I have noW beat times set on my “light weight” megatower/SL on nearly all the DH runs and off piste at my local, it’s really hard to explain how they have managed to loose the heavy feeling with this bike.
05C7DBBA-C6D8-40E9-AF5A-34B75F9A621F.jpeg

Phil M

Nov 25, 2021
UK
Hi

New here, picked up my Expert a couple of weeks back..

I’ve made a few changes, added XX1 AXS (with XX1 chain) and AXS dropper for a clean cockpit. I’ve run the AXS stuff on my other bike for a good year now and it’s been faultless.

Invisiframe to frame and forks

Schwalbe tyres, Magic Mary and Big Betty in Supertrail soft compound.

Sram HS2 discs.. 220/200.. I bought these for looks mainly but they have the added benefit of bringing the biting point sooner as they’re 2mm thick. I like the brakes to bite really soon and was contemplating changing the leavers to RSC to gain adjustment but now I don’t need to bother with that.

Specialized carbon bars 800mm wide, the standard ones are too narrow for comfort (for me) and Diety stem the same as the S Works model.

I’m only a couple of rides in but I love it already.

8247956F-1AED-4623-A64F-770AC801A905.jpeg

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hi !

I think there are 2 interesting cases for a new linkage

a) Coil shock conversion and cascade with more leverage progression
b) Travel increase: 160rear/170front would be my dream levo 🚀

But with my actual air shock setup with super deluxe megneg shock there are really enough possibilities to form the spring curve. (negative spacers for midstroke and mainvolume for endstroke progression)

So i would only get triggered to cascade with a rear travel increase

Greets,

Chris

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles