Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Olivier Clg

Nov 15, 2021
France
Hello Chris,
Interesting, so you replaced the X2 with an RS Superdeluxe and Megneg. Is-it a stock Superdeluxe (Midreb Midcomp) or one with a special tuning for the leverage of the Gen3 Levo?

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Yes,

After my X2 was completely blown after a few rides i replaced it. The X2 RX tune only has 1 less compression shim in the mainpiston stack compared to the standard light compression tune. This is an untypical very light compression tune for the high leverage ratio. I was not able to ride it with more than 25% sag on an enduro/ jumpline trail.

The Superdeluxe Ulti i bought had a Santa Heckler tune (Low/Low). I reshimmed it to Med/Med and with the megneg i am super happy. With 28-30% sag it now delivers a good compromise between enough plushness and enough support for jumps and hard impacts where the X2 was eating the travel too early.

Best regards,

Chris

05167EB7-9985-4077-86FA-07F7E5F3CDC9.png

Last edited:

Olivier Clg

Nov 15, 2021
France
Yes,

After my X2 was completely blown after a few rides i replaced it. The X2 RX tune only has 1 less compression shim in the mainpiston stack compared to the standard light compression tune. This is an untypical very light compression tune for the high leverage ratio. I was not able to ride it with more than 25% sag on an enduro/ jumpline trail.

The Superdeluxe Ulti i bought had a Santa Heckler tune (Low/Low). I reshimmed it to Med/Med and with the megneg i am super happy. With 28-30% sag it now delivers a good compromise between enough plushness and enough support for jumps and hard impacts where the X2 was eating the travel too early.

Best regards,

Chris
Thank you Chris, it's good to know :)

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
probably not. I've got a 170mm fork up front now but it doesn't need it really, does soak up the chunder well, though. Rear end feels unmatched now thats all

I do like the geo it has with the 170mm (63.5 HTA with the shorter rear end by my calculations)

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Yes,

Best regards,

Chris

View attachment 77050

Ive got one to try on mine with the meg. Not sure what the setup was though, on my old stumpy I had to keep the rebound very low and with the meg it sank well into its travel. Hard to get 25% sag at 300psi ha

Dont think much to the X2. Handles bigger hits reasonably well. doesnt have the small bump of a superdeluxe.

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
Same here. But I only have a deposit in. SHop said bike was allocated and then it never came. They blamed on rep. No idea what’s really going on but I suspect they didn’t get all the bikes they though they were getting. Apparently I still *might* get the bike before Christmas.

I have another bike (e160 Merida). So it’s just an inconvenience for me. But it’s not a great look for Specialized.

Gordon

mine has just turned up at my LBS after an expected May 2022 delivery estimate, wasn’t even shown on any internal order so keep the faith as you never know with Spesh🤓😳👍

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
The internal plastic cable routing rattles. I installed AXS on my Pro and pulled out the dropper and mech plastic sleeves. It helped reduce my rattle very significantly. There is one plastic sleeve remaining which is for the rear brake. I was going to pull this out and the use a foam sleeve.

if you look where the plastic cable goes, down the frame arm near the shock, and if you manually wiggle the cable from outside the frame, the sleeve knocks on the frame inside. I’ve now pushed some bubble wrap into the frame and this has stopped the sleeve moving. I’ve also wrapped all the other electric cables in bubble wrap, I am confident that they will no longer move and cause a rattle.

not sure why Spesh use this routing method rather than put moulded tubes in the frame?

to report back on this, the bike is now silent and all I can hear is tyres rippin' dirt :D
bubble wrap for the win.....

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I’m dubious about these.. Specialized spends millions developing these bikes to be a certain way, someone else thinks they can do it better.

It will always be different but I bet it’s not always better.
I agree completely. I’m contemplating buying one down the road, once my Bullit sells and work slows up. I’ve asked many big name suspension tuners and a lot of them do not recommend a coil shock. Run the X2 and replace as needed. Heck even there Kenevo runs an air Shock. A lot of times we question guys that do this for a living and have degrees in this field and work for their brand to put out the best product they can.

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
🤬🤬🤬 battery door snapped of when I wasnt even riding the bike, on close inspection no way should that have made it passed QC. Anyway, gaffa tape for now and has there been any updates about a new version yet? I know someone mentioned there looking in to it ?

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
to report back on this, the bike is now silent and all I can hear is tyres rippin' dirt :D
bubble wrap for the win.....

Tried this and its significantly improved it thanks. I almost don't notice it now.

May pull it all out and make more of an effort

Forks are out for a service at TFT, specifically asked them to get a 38 die in there and burnish the bushings. If they don't do it it'll be off to Jim's Bikes in Guildford.

freerideandi

Mar 21, 2019
Germany
Yes,

Best regards,

Chris

View attachment 77050
Hi Chris,

What setup do you ride with the Megneg Can?
How many Negativspacers and Volumespacers?

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
I agree completely. I’m contemplating buying one down the road, once my Bullit sells and work slows up. I’ve asked many big name suspension tuners and a lot of them do not recommend a coil shock. Run the X2 and replace as needed. Heck even there Kenevo runs an air Shock. A lot of times we question guys that do this for a living and have degrees in this field and work for their brand to put out the best product they can.

We question it, because it's not always the case that it works the way it should.

Take for example the Specialized Demo DH bike. A few years ago, they designed it, tested it with their pro riders & went into production, only to find a huge number of frame failures from the general public. Turns out we don't ride the same way a pro does & brake jack was causing the frames to crack - which they hadn't seen at the time.

They build bikes for the average rider. Therefore if you sit outside that 'world' it is likely a compromise. That can be weight (high or low) riding style, and speed. If you are a faster rider, generally the shocks are under sprung both for compression & rebound & some frame designs can be way too linear in the way they use their travel. Those points need addressing to make the bike work properly. The current Stumpy Evo for example is not very progressive, so it eats through its travel too easily if you are quick & push hard into corners & can't really be used with a coil shock. The Cascade Link goes a way to mitigating that, increasing progressivity.

I don't know where you are based, but with Specialized's clevis link suspension on some bike most tuners will only recommend coils (with a steel shaft) because of the side loads the design puts on the shock. The current '21 Float X2 is renowned for being a great performing shock, but not reliable, it suffers from side wear of the inner air can on normal bikes, let alone on something that has a history for eating most things fitted.

Just because they do things for a living & have relevant degrees, it doesn't mean they are always getting it right, or doing things for our best interests. See PF BB's, BB30's etc. Now we are back to Specialized using a traditional external BB as a 'selling point'.

I would be interested to see what Cascade could do with the stock bike. They do have a habit of increasing travel with their designs though & on a relatively small shock for the travel, it could mean issues with regards to air pressures or spring weights.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
We question it, because it's not always the case that it works the way it should.

Take for example the Specialized Demo DH bike. A few years ago, they designed it, tested it with their pro riders & went into production, only to find a huge number of frame failures from the general public. Turns out we don't ride the same way a pro does & brake jack was causing the frames to crack - which they hadn't seen at the time.

They build bikes for the average rider. Therefore if you sit outside that 'world' it is likely a compromise. That can be weight (high or low) riding style, and speed. If you are a faster rider, generally the shocks are under sprung both for compression & rebound & some frame designs can be way too linear in the way they use their travel. Those points need addressing to make the bike work properly. The current Stumpy Evo for example is not very progressive, so it eats through its travel too easily if you are quick & push hard into corners & can't really be used with a coil shock. The Cascade Link goes a way to mitigating that, increasing progressivity.

I don't know where you are based, but with Specialized's clevis link suspension on some bike most tuners will only recommend coils (with a steel shaft) because of the side loads the design puts on the shock. The current '21 Float X2 is renowned for being a great performing shock, but not reliable, it suffers from side wear of the inner air can on normal bikes, let alone on something that has a history for eating most things fitted.

Just because they do things for a living & have relevant degrees, it doesn't mean they are always getting it right, or doing things for our best interests. See PF BB's, BB30's etc. Now we are back to Specialized using a traditional external BB as a 'selling point'.

I would be interested to see what Cascade could do with the stock bike. They do have a habit of increasing travel with their designs though & on a relatively small shock for the travel, it could mean issues with regards to air pressures or spring weights.
I agree completely with your thoughts. Building for the masses. An air Shock tunable for the masses etc. I’m based in the states and with the Levo being so linear and hard on any Shock, it makes sense to run an air Shock. If this bike design was truly designed for a coil, it would have one on it from factory. I am aware of the thick stainless shafts on some coils, I’ve talked to a lot of shops and big brand names. The only coil I’d feel 100% comfortable with is the Push, where they design the shock to the bike. No progressive springs to compromise.
That being said, these ebikes are so planted anyways, it’s nice to have a little pop from an air Shock. JMO

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
We’ll, my Bullit just sold. Buddy owns a specialized dealership and talked me into buying an expert. Hope this is the right move! Now if work would slow up so I can ride! Bullit was a nice ride. I like them all actually.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
We’ll, my Bullit just sold. Buddy owns a specialized dealership and talked me into buying an expert. Hope this is the right move! Now if work would slow up so I can ride! Bullit was a nice ride. I like them all actually.
Hey Gutch, did he give you any eta? I've had one on order for months here in Oregon.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Haha, I’m right near WNC. Good riding here, but I’m sure you’re spoiled in Oregon! Idk if he can ship you a bike, don’t see why not?
Yeah, we've got some great riding here but this time of year I have to plan an extra hour for mud clean up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles