Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
Macedonia is awesome. I was going tomorrow but not after all this rain. I haven't taken the ebike out there yet (only shuttles with dickhole Moorey). I think you'd know him from RB which is where you're from I assume (I recognise the username).

Harcourt should be renamed to ebike city. I wouldn't ride that place without an ebike as there's not much reward for the climbing and pedalling over there.

I haven't been to Red Hill or ch10 yet. I'll get out there this season I think.

NARBY! Surely you're not riding to the top of Narby on your e160??! I was out there with Boomking the weekend before VDHS. Great place for shuttles but not many fun features or jumps.

Haven't been to Silvan yet either. I need to hit up Koper so he can show me around.

Maydena might have batteries to hire by then. I already asked them. I think you can hire them from somewhere in town too but can't remember who told me (or where). Can't wait to get back down there to try out their new trails. Missus won't let me risk it all like Ezkaton did to move down there. Winter would be pretty shit though.. but so is Melbourne.

Shoot me a PM next time you're thinking about heading out east (c10, silvan etc). I'd like a tour if you don't mind a tag along.
Macedon is so good on the ebike, takes less than 10 mins to get back to the top. I usually do at least 10 runs there.

A couple of weeks ago I rode to the top of Narby 3 times in a row before I got a flat. I agree that the track isn't as exciting as some. I'm keen to try and find that secret track out there that's been built.

I'd love to ride the Merida at Derby, but for Maydena they've got shuttles!

Happy to show you Silvan, C10 and Red Hill some time when this woeful weather passes.

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
I've been looking for a spare battery. How much do they go for these days? Last time I checked about $900AUD. Might have a look while black friday deals are on :geek:
I got mine for $800 from YVC, had to talk them down a bit... 99 Bikes have them at around the same price.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Hi guys,
I see Bike24 have E7000 controllers in stock at last. Probably won’t last long. (Xmas presy for my 900e).
Have ordered left and right for di2 and assist. Hopefully will work out well with Reverb button placement.

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
For those who have gone to a 180 fork, how does it affect the geometry? I generally go with the rule that any bike can accept a 10mm increase in stack height, but 20mm is quite significant. With the 170mm fork my e160 still has a very low bottom bracket height, so perhaps it would be OK. I guess a 180 will have more sag as well. If I went to a 180 fork I'd replace the really tall FSA headset spacer under the stem with something ultra slim, which would drop the bars a good 10mm at least. As it is I find the bars tending towards a tad high for my taste.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Ask this bloke.

48398664_1011602495711396_3079261834906173440_n.jpg

Steven904

Dec 26, 2018
Oxfordshire
hi guys, I've upgraded my shock from a super delux R to a super delux RS3, it was a big improvement. I'm now thinking of upgrading to a Fox X2 Air shock, but should I save a bit longer for a coil shock, e
g.cane creek, fox, ohlins etc. ...

Steven904

Dec 26, 2018
Oxfordshire
here is my e800. upgrades include-
FAST Yari damper upgrade
170mm lyric damper rod
Luftkappe air piston
DT swiss wheels, rims are 40mm ID for my 2.8" Maxxis tyres, best upgrade!
Magura calipers with Shimano Saint levers
203mm discs front and rear
I also have some 165mm cranks in the garage to be fitted
aim to also convert the Yari fork to coil in the new year.
Super Delux RC3 shock
Reverb post
Renthal bars

really happy with it. once I've got a DH run sorted when riding my V10, I can ride the same DH run on the Merida. but also ride back up! love it!

Steven904

Dec 26, 2018
Oxfordshire
I've got that wrong, best upgrade was the velcro straps to hold the battery solid relative to the frame, I find that if I case a jump (without the straps fitted) the Steps motor would switch off. Never had that issue with the straps fitted. I know I could adjust the battery clamps but the battery seems well adjusted

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
Got my 900 (size S) last week and did some changes/upgrades before the first ride.
Changed the shifting to gripshift (and a Sram derailleur ofcourse) because my thumb doesn't like triggers. And I switched the XT calipers for the new four-pot calipers.
I also switched the hoses from left to right vice versa, so now the front brake is on the right hand side (in Europe bikes are setup with the front brake on the left hand side). Because the hose enters the frame on the left side the routing is not ideal now, maybe I'll change that some day but I think that needs removing the motor... :( View attachment 3271

Cable end cap coming soon ;)
View attachment 3272

Yesterday I did a short first testride and I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of fun with this bike...
Ofcourse the extra weight takes some getting used to, but the bike feels very well balanced. Did some small jumps, tight turns and it handles lighter than you'd expect.
I'm already getting the feel for the way the motor kicks in, looking forward to getting the bike on some "real trails" (which unfortunately are not very close to my house). Next step is finetuning the suspension, experimenting with tire pressure and putting on XT pedals (on the pics are the plastic ones that came with the bike).
And as a bonus, the Merida really is a pretty bike...
View attachment 3273

View attachment 3274
When changing over to the 4 pot calipers, did you have to use new hoses as well or do they just go on the end of the existing brake hose? I’m looking at getting the 900 and this is also and upgrade I’d be interested in doing.

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
When changing over to the 4 pot calipers, did you have to use new hoses as well or do they just go on the end of the existing brake hose? I’m looking at getting the 900 and this is also and upgrade I’d be interested in doing.
the 900 bikes have the banyo ends , so when you get the new calipers eg XT or saint make sure you get banyo bolts to suit

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I am considering a Eone Sixty 800, but it bothers me that it seems Merida has not updated the bike in two years, only upped the price.
Is this true or not?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I am considering a Eone Sixty 800, but it bothers me that it seems Merida has not updated the bike in two years, only upped the price.
Is this true or not?
What updates do you want? It's not an iPhone where you have a 'new' model every September the frames are on the market for 2-4 years unless it has screwed geo or something and they have to make changes because nobody is buying it (Orbea Wild FS comes into my mind).
The Merida has great geo and good specs for the money. The first year's prices were 'introductory' and if you look at the rest of the brands the prices are generally going up.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Is this true or not?
I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The E-one sixty has won a lot of awards for Merida and riders love them. It is a bit dated in terms of not having an integrated battery (but there are some advantages of having an external battery) but it rides really well and is really well spec'ed for the price.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The E-one sixty has won a lot of awards for Merida and riders love them. It is a bit dated in terms of not having an integrated battery (but there are some advantages of having an external battery) but it rides really well and is really well spec'ed for the price.
While I like to look of some of the bikes with integrated battery personally I would not buy one. I prefer external for the low center of gravity, the easy removal and the small size and weight when carrying a spare. I hope bikes with external batteries will stay on offer in the future.

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
While I like to look of some of the bikes with integrated battery personally I would not buy one. I prefer external for the low center of gravity, the easy removal and the small size and weight when carrying a spare. I hope bikes with external batteries will stay on offer in the future.
yes the good side of having a piggyback battery is maybe one day they will make a 700 w battery that will slot straight onto the bike , having it build into the frame makes the frame fricking fat and ugly and no option to add a fatter battery later

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
Has anyone had issues with the walk mode on the Meridas? Mine is so slow it is unusable - much slower than a slow walk for me. I've heard that there's a double-click that makes it twice as fast, but that doesn't seem to work for me. I've seen other e160s in walk mode going much faster than mine does, so I can't figure out what is going on. It's not something that can be changed in the software like the pedal assist modes etc. As it is, I can't see the point of a walk mode that is painfully slow. Perhaps it would be useful if I was rock climbing with the bike...

It's not a feature I use often, but it would nice to have the option.

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
Has anyone had issues with the walk mode on the Meridas? Mine is so slow it is unusable - much slower than a slow walk for me. I've heard that there's a double-click that makes it twice as fast, but that doesn't seem to work for me. I've seen other e160s in walk mode going much faster than mine does, so I can't figure out what is going on. It's not something that can be changed in the software like the pedal assist modes etc. As it is, I can't see the point of a walk mode that is painfully slow. Perhaps it would be useful if I was rock climbing with the bike...

Are you in the correct gear? I find if I stop in the lowest gear and use walk mode its too slow so need to change up a couple of gears to suit my pace

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018

You need to use a gear somewhere in the middle of the cassette and it will be perfectly normal and goes up to 6kph.

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
There's four of us with Meridas in my bike club and three are the same speed in walk mode but one is really slow. Doesn't make any difference what gear he's in. We can't figure out what's different.

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
Thanks for the replies, somehow I'd assumed that walk mode had a pre-set speed based around the lowest gear, so have never actually tried it in different gears. Doh!

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
900e vs Commencal Meta Power? Has anyone ridden both? I've narrowed the search down to these two

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
900e vs Commencal Meta Power? Has anyone ridden both? I've narrowed the search down to these two
I had a test ride on the Merida and I bought a Meta Power. They are very similar and both ride great, I think it's a coin toss between them. The reason I went with the Meta was the price and availability - I could order the Meta online from home and the closest Merida dealer is 200km from where I live.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
I had a test ride on the Merida and I bought a Meta Power. They are very similar and both ride great, I think it's a coin toss between them. The reason I went with the Meta was the price and availability - I could order the Meta online from home and the closest Merida dealer is 200km from where I live.
Thanks very helpful. I'm in the US and Merida are not even sold here, but can get one via germany. I'd have to buy the battery separately here as they cannot ship batteries to the US. More hassle than its worth if bikes are are similar.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Thanks very helpful. I'm in the US and Merida are not even sold here, but can get one via germany. I'd have to buy the battery separately here as they cannot ship batteries to the US. More hassle than its worth if bikes are are similar.
You cannot go wrong with the Meta that's for sure... their geometry is almost identical they are both running Shimano E8000 with external batteries. The only thing is that the Meta 27 is currently not available Fox suspension it's full Rock Shox/SRAM while the 900e is Fox/Shimano. Personally, I couldn't care less I just replaced the SRAM brakes with Saints and sold the Guide RE.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles