Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
Damn. Good to hear you came through without more damage.

It's rattling when you have a big stack on a newish bike. About two months into owning my Explore commuter I was riding a pathway at night, momentarily lapsed concentration and ended up on the ground in a pile, chin connecting with the path railing on the way down. Bike was no worse for wear but I have the scars to remember it by.

So this fork block doesn't seem to get a lot of love around the forums. Was the issue it performed as expected and the direction change was too much for it, that it behaved in an unpredictable fashion, or it was incorrectly installed?

Going with the same screen?
Hi,

I don't know how a fork block should perform but I would guess it kicks in left/right symmetrically at around 90 degrees from straight ahead.

The shop pronounced it a defect caused by the crash but I explained it had always been there in the month or so I had the bike. Depending on the state it would be 45L/90R or 90L/45R so the accident I had, I realised post smash, would have been caused by exactly this defect as I would have been very slow at the corner then turned sharply before diving into the corner but instead I went wide, 2 feet down off the track, into a 10 inch log and over the handlebars and crunch....

If anything I proved to the shop that this defect is very dangerous. If I had been more experienced perhaps I would have realised and got it fixed right away but I figured I would be going slow enough at 45 handlebar deflection that it wouldn't ever cause an accident...enter an accident tailored for the defect...amazing really...and lucky enough too, not to write myself or the bike off.

I'd already ordered the EM800 and associated switch and it is due on 11th November, a nice bit of luck maybe.

Edit: 45 degrees is just an estimate, it could be less than that maybe 30 degrees. I really haven't measure it accurately.

Maybe Merida hired the same Boeing Engineers who did the MCAS system on the 737MAX? The Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System...

Last edited:

Renan Mendes

Jun 9, 2021
Sintra - Portugal
I don't speak English natively and I'm not sure I understand 100% of the problem. From what I understand the problem involves that part that is inside the steering that has the function of limiting the movements, mine was always "staying out of the central point" sometimes to be more to the right and others more to the left. I removed this piece as I didn't like how it sometimes limited my movement in very tight corners.

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
Hi Renan,

I'm not sure if it is 'broken as designed'...if it is then I will get the bike shop to remove it, as it is unsafe.

It sounds like this should be part of a general recall for Merida if others think it is unsafe and what I experience is 'normal'.

The bike shop seem to think it is a defect at least. I will find out more tomorrow.

Cheers,
Grant

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
I'm still talking to the bike shop about the fork block 'feature'.

Can anyone just tell me what the normal behaviour is?

I got my bike delivered with this lock behaving, as described in previous posts, and it is dangerous.

I asked the bike shop to remove it then got a lengthy email about the mechanics of doing it, the work involved and the voiding of my Merida warranty.

I really just wanted the shop to say 'Grant, there is obviously a fault with fork as it is and when it is fixed, you can be rest assured that the steering will not be restricted in either direction and it will be safe to ride'. That is all I care about is spending 7k and getting a bike that is safe to ride.

Any comments? One respondent has already stated that it did interfere with his steering and he removed it which isn't reassuring.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
@InspectHerWheels I'm not familiar with this Merida part but can you remove your forks and have a look whats going on?
Assuming it's just a part that sits in the headtube, has your crash caused it to slip further round limiting your steering more on one side?

If you removed it, would your fork hit the downtube in a crash?

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
It is simply a block that clamps onto the fork steerer. If it's not tight enough it will move. Mine did just after I bought it and the lbs said they tightened it as much as possible. It hasn't moved again, however I haven't had a crash.

Your bars should turn about 70-80 degrees in each direction. Should stop just before the crown of the fork hits into the frame, so I think you should leave it there. Just get it adjusted back to centre, and make sure its tight.

The only other thing to check is that there isn't an internally routed cable getting jammed between the block and the stopper. This can happen if assembled incorrectly, and this will reduce your steering.

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
It is simply a block that clamps onto the fork steerer. If it's not tight enough it will move. Mine did just after I bought it and the lbs said they tightened it as much as possible. It hasn't moved again, however I haven't had a crash.

Your bars should turn about 70-80 degrees in each direction. Should stop just before the crown of the fork hits into the frame, so I think you should leave it there. Just get it adjusted back to centre, and make sure its tight.

The only other thing to check is that there isn't an internally routed cable getting jammed between the block and the stopper. This can happen if assembled incorrectly, and this will reduce your steering.

Hi Brent,

Thank you for your reply.

I went up to the bike shop and just said to fix it rather than remove it. I have to assume that it doesn't obstruct steering in any way when it is 'normal' and functioning correctly. I was just a bit inexperienced to not pick up my steering issue as unsafe and suffered the consequences, one of those things maybe. I will update the forum once it is fixed but I'm hoping it will be fine.

Kostya_12975

Feb 21, 2021
Россия

You need to be careful with laying the cables of the flashlight and the computer, if they are not carried out correctly, then the limiter will break the wires on the bump! The wires must pass through the central part of the limiter!

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
You need to be careful with laying the cables of the flashlight and the computer, if they are not carried out correctly, then the limiter will break the wires on the bump! The wires must pass through the central part of the limiter!
Thanks.

I did smash the computer so the EM800 and switch kit is arriving, November 11th. I can't read the display now but the computer still works. I will leave it to 99Bikes to figure it out.

It is interesting that this block just moves when it loosens. It doesn't sound like great design but then I'm not a bike designer.

The shop did say that the wires have to go through the block. It means that the block can't really be removed without compromising wires and connectors.

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Has anyone changed the headset bearings or their top cap on their 2021 E160 8000?

I am looking to remove the display cable from inside the headset and run it out of the side of the bike with the other cables as the headset cap keeps spinning, so was looking at fitting a replacement cover without the hole in it, if anyone knows of one that fits.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
Just spotted this on Merida's web site, link came from the 2021 eOne-Sixty 700 page , Expert eTR handlebar link.

"On official mountain bike trails jumps with built landings up to a height of 60 centimeters are permitted."

Doesn't sound like they cover much gravity stuff! I mention this because I fancy a change to carbon bars on my new 700 but was worried they wouldn't be up to the job. Looks like the standard ally ones aren't much use either! And could anyone confirm how easy it is to get the switch and/or light cables out of the handlebars please?

Last edited:

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
Just an update on the fork block and the accident.

It was uneventful. I got the bike back, the fork block now is positioned properly so it is symmetrical and block the forks from going into the frame without interfering with the system.

The computer is smashed and the headlight isn't working but the assistance levels still work so now I just wait for the new computer to arrive, scheduled for 11th November.

The shop did say that the block can loosen or move so try not to force it to move.

Aleksey 1lab

Mar 29, 2021
RUSSIA
Hello! I am the owner of the bike merida eone sixty 500se. Can I buy and install on this bike a rear rack and a rear fender that come with eONE-FORTY EQ bikes? where can i buy? F38B8605-AB8F-4CF7-8576-55ACF2251D9D.jpeg

Last edited:

gillyske

Dec 3, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Just spotted this on Merida's web site, link came from the 2021 eOne-Sixty 700 page , Expert eTR handlebar link.

"On official mountain bike trails jumps with built landings up to a height of 60 centimeters are permitted."

Doesn't sound like they cover much gravity stuff! I mention this because I fancy a change to carbon bars on my new 700 but was worried they wouldn't be up to the job. Looks like the standard ally ones aren't much use either! And could anyone confirm how easy it is to get the switch and/or light cables out of the handlebars please?
Honestly wasn't an issue, so much so that I just don't remember having any troubles at all when i swapped to some Spank Vibrocores.

You can disconnect the cables from the stuff at the handles bars, so you don't have to re-pull any cables through the frame or anything. Infact i would go as far as to say that all the cockpit cable routing is mostly aesthetic marketing and you can easily re-route it all through the "thermo gates".

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Took my e160 900e out for a ride today and the motor assist cut out 3 times, it was just like a quick reboot, screen off, no assist and then just automatically booted back up to the standard start screen again. Any ideas?

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Hopefully nothing too serious, had to replace my motor recently but it just stopped working, no signs, just stopped. I know it can't be much but took it to 99 bikes and they said that I needed a new motor which is about a $2000 job.
Went riding with a mate on the weekend and his was doing what you have said, we moved his magnet on the back wheel and it seemed to fix it for now. Hope this is of some help and it's something simple.

Renan Mendes

Jun 9, 2021
Sintra - Portugal
Took my e160 900e out for a ride today and the motor assist cut out 3 times, it was just like a quick reboot, screen off, no assist and then just automatically booted back up to the standard start screen again. Any ideas?

Mine did it 1x in the first week and then never again, I've had problems with the engine turning off but once it was the wire that reaches the handlebar control that was damaged and the other time it was the magnet on the disc.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
I think I spotted a discussion on dropper posts so I thought I'd let everyone know what's possible. This is my 2021 700. Not sure if the carbon models are the same but I've managed to get my 170mm dropper pretty much right down into the frame by a bit of wiggling and easing on the cable. It works perfectly, no binding or catching. Frame is a Large. There is, however, a pretty big loop of cable out the front :)

IMG_20211109_132331.jpg

CTM

Nov 4, 2021
NZ
I think I spotted a discussion on dropper posts so I thought I'd let everyone know what's possible. This is my 2021 700. Not sure if the carbon models are the same but I've managed to get my 170mm dropper pretty much right down into the frame by a bit of wiggling and easing on the cable. It works perfectly, no binding or catching. Frame is a Large. There is, however, a pretty big loop of cable out the front :)

View attachment 75776

Anyone having issues with the top headset cover (under stem spacers ) rotating. This one looks like it's done it to. The wires feed through it. Mine does it to.

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Anyone having issues with the top headset cover (under stem spacers ) rotating. This one looks like it's done it to. The wires feed through it. Mine does it to.

Yup sure did have the issue.

I binned the light and removed the display cable and ran it through the side of the frame with the other cables and got some epoxy resin and filled in the hole in the cover so it stops all the dirt and water getting into the headset bearings.

Such a poor design from Merida on the top cap :(

CTM

Nov 4, 2021
NZ
Thinking of ditching the light. Also. Anyone know if it's a standard headset that can be changed out. Angleset maybe ?

CTM

Nov 4, 2021
NZ
I like the idea of it. But I don't use it. And I do have a stand alone light that's really bright. This one's a bit average. Otherwise I'll fit a brighter one there.

We'll see. I'll try tidy up the headset area and see if the light wiring stays .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles