Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
The 2022 models...I was thinking what can they really do?

The answer seems to be different colours and a bigger battery. It would weigh more but range is important too and I'm guessing the batteries are dropping in price. Mind you 625Wh is plenty for me.

Renan Mendes

Jun 9, 2021
Sintra - Portugal
Hello there!

Here's mine with some upgrades,
IMG_7372.jpeg

IMG_7388.jpeg

Renan Mendes

Jun 9, 2021
Sintra - Portugal
Looks sick mate. How are you running your MegNeg?
I'm running 4 band negative/2.5 Gnar dog positive and it's super supple, but still supportive and poppy.

thanks bro, right now i am running 1 band and standard (1 token) on positive chamber, i like a lot of sag, make it better on small bumps sensitivity. But i am looking for a coil shock, just dont choose one yet.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
thanks bro, right now i am running 1 band and standard (1 token) on positive chamber, i like a lot of sag, make it better on small bumps sensitivity. But i am looking for a coil shock, just dont choose one yet.
Cool. Did you try any other MegNeg setups before getting there?

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Anyone else had issues with the Merida dropper being absolute crap? You sit on it and goes half way sometimes, other times the whole way down, slow to come back up. I had one on my last bike too and experienced the same thing.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Anyone else had issues with the Merida dropper being absolute crap? You sit on it and goes half way sometimes, other times the whole way down, slow to come back up. I had one on my last bike too and experienced the same thing.

Most everyone complains about them...
So far, Ive got away with bleeding mine to restore function...
Do not lift your bike using the saddle. Lubricate the stem/wiper seal before you use it if its sat for a few days..
Perform a bleed on it...Reset the pressure - if that doesnt work, it will probably require a service....

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Most everyone complains about them...
So far, Ive got away with bleeding mine to restore function...
Do not lift your bike using the saddle. Lubricate the stem/wiper seal before you use it if its sat for a few days..
Perform a bleed on it...Reset the pressure - if that doesnt work, it will probably require a service....

Sounds like an excuse to fit a oneup 180mm dropper instead of the tiny 150mm it came with and replace the horridly placed lever that sits so far under the bar no matter how I adjust it.

Renan Mendes

Jun 9, 2021
Sintra - Portugal

Mine had this same "problem" but it was actually just a fault in the assembly, the dropper can't be too low because the mechanism that triggers it can get clogged and cause what you're saying. try to raise the dropper 1 or 2 cm

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Mine had this same "problem" but it was actually just a fault in the assembly, the dropper can't be too low because the mechanism that triggers it can get clogged and cause what you're saying. try to raise the dropper 1 or 2 cm

It's already about 5cm out of the frame, I had the same issue on my last bike with the merida dropper being of poor quality :(

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Bent mine in a huge stack that I still can't remember and ended up putting a Brand-X dropper in and haven't looked back since. Saying that didn't have any dramas with the hydraulic one in the first place, at least until I bent it.

jgrimmo

Sep 30, 2021
2485, TWEED HEADS
Hello from Germany,

riding my eONE-SIXTY for a year now I made some improvements:
-FSA cockpit with carbon bar
-sintered metal brake pads
-Ergon saddle with carbon rails
-Giant TRX 0 carbon wheelset (tubeless)
-Vittoria Morsa 2,35 and Martello 2,6
-Garbaruk lightweight cassette
-Renthal 34T chainring
-Miranda carbon cranks 160mm

Changing the complete setup of the wheels was a metamorphosis! No more feeling of riding a school bus!
Increased agility and speed enormously and reduced rolling resistance. A complete different bike!

View attachment 31830
Marahm,
Is that the original brake rotor disc?

jgrimmo

Sep 30, 2021
2485, TWEED HEADS
Hello from Rotorua NZ, I've had my Merida eone sixty for about 3-4 months and made a few mods.

- marzocchi bomber coil shock
- Yari fork with 170mm v3 air spring
- XT 1x11 drive train
- Oneup carbon bars
- Hope pro4 hubs on Stans flow rims

View attachment 34205
Kneedown69,
Did you originally have centre lock brake discs? If so, with the new rims did you have to change to 6 bolt discs?

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia
Anyone buying the 500 model (or any model really) need to be aware that is all...

1. Kenda wired rim tyres...useless for most MTB riders as they aren't tubeless ready.
2. The included charger is the cheaper Shimano one that is about half the power output of the bigger one and takes a good 10 hours to charge the battery fully (my Scott eMTB with the Bosch at half the price didn't skimp on the charger).
3. The included computer is the cheap one 5003, not the nice SM800 and it is basic and has no connectivity. It works well enough though but very basic, just an odometer, trip meter with the range and power readout.
4. The on/off switch is on the down tube not on the top tube like most of the E160 models (more expensive ones), it is harder to find and activate.
5. The under the seat toolkit is not included (it is evidently a cheap toolkit so no great loss).

It is a great bike but I would go through a checklist for any of their bikes and check these things carefully. I picked up some of these things before buying but not all of them.

Merida are tightarse IMHO.

I think these days you have to be extra careful that what you get on the model you are buying agrees with what you think you are buying based on their website and on review models which may be different specs.

Caveat Emptor

Thanks for the post - it was very informative. I have a e160 500 on order.

I didn't think the Australian spec sheet made 1), 2), 4) or 5) obvious. I also mistakenly assumed the display has app compatibility. After all the $20 lamp globe on my desk does, but there you go...

Still, it's a lot of bike for the cash so I'll keep the hold in place, eyes just a little wider open. I can live with the compromises to tuck that retail price under $7k.

Question for the wise: I'm coming from a bike with a Giant Syncdrive Sport motor (Yamaha, 70nm). It pulls like an ox. Should I prepare to be underwhelmed by the EP8? A Trek Rail 5 is a close run second option.

Cheers

Last edited:

Renan Mendes

Jun 9, 2021
Sintra - Portugal

I didn't think the Australian spec sheet made 1), 2), 4) or 5) obvious. I also mistakenly assumed the display has app compatibility. After all the $20 lamp globe on my desk does, but there you go...

Still, it's a lot of bike for the cash so I'll keep the hold in place, eyes just a little wider open. I can live with the compromises to tuck that retail price under $7k.

Question for the wise: I'm coming from a bike with a Giant Syncdrive Sport motor (Yamaha, 70nm). It pulls like an ox. Should I prepare to be underwhelmed by the EP8? A Trek Rail 5 is a close run second option.

Cheers

My Merida 500 come with this charger, i think is the standard one for the new EP8 motors. I payed 4299 euros for it in february.
Everything mentioned above for me is not necessarily an issue, connectivity is overrated in my opinion, but this is something personal. I've done 2400 kilometers since then and apart from the upgrades that were needed for my riding style I have nothing bad to say about it, except of course the Ep8 rattling noise.
STEPS-Battery-charger-1.jpg

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia
My Merida 500 come with this charger, i think is the standard one for the new EP8 motors. I payed 4299 euros for it in february.
Everything mentioned above for me is not necessarily an issue, connectivity is overrated in my opinion, but this is something personal. I've done 2400 kilometers since then and apart from the upgrades that were needed for my riding style I have nothing bad to say about it, except of course the Ep8 rattling noise.
STEPS-Battery-charger-1.jpg
Thank you for the reply.

100% with you re: connectivity. I sync with my Giant Ebike once in a blue moon, and only to push an over the air firmware update or check battery health. I tinkered with the assistance settings initially but now it's running stock.

And I'm really in no rush with charging. There's an argument that slower charging is better for long term battery health anyway.

Such a shame about the motor rattle. The only real negative with the system I can see. Rattles on my bike drive me CRAZY. At least I can rest easy it's not a sign of something loose that shouldn't be.

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth

Cheers
I'm glad you found my post informative. A few people on the forum seem to think all this is entirely obvious and it transparently isn't and Merida go out of their way not to inform.

It is a great bike though and I would probably make the same decision again myself.

How long do you have to wait to get it?

The power in the motor is fine, you won't be disappointed. The only complaint is on rough tracks it does make noise which may or may not be distracting. The motor itself in terms of power delivery is extremely smooth and unobtrusive.

The best thing about the bike is the geometry and handling generally. I also enjoy having a dropper post seat, it is easy for getting on and off as well as putting the bike in my boot.

The headlight is a nice surprise too, The Lezyne E115 is impeccably well designed and this is from someone who has a lot of lights and studies them. Lezyne have done great work to get the most out of the light and the beam pattern is excellent. The placement of the light is also close to ideal.

The 200mm brakes on this bike are great as well, no complaints. Suspension is excellent. The Shimano gear change is the same as on my Scott Bike and is lovely to use.

You won't be disappointed.

tempImagezdQBSO.png

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia
I'm glad you found my post informative. A few people on the forum seem to think all this is entirely obvious and it transparently isn't and Merida go out of their way not to inform.

It is a great bike though and I would probably make the same decision again myself.

How long do you have to wait to get it?

The power in the motor is fine, you won't be disappointed. The only complaint is on rough tracks it does make noise which may or may not be distracting. The motor itself in terms of power delivery is extremely smooth and unobtrusive.

The best thing about the bike is the geometry and handling generally. I also enjoy having a dropper post seat, it is easy for getting on and off as well as putting the bike in my boot.

The headlight is a nice surprise too, The Lezyne E115 is impeccably well designed and this is from someone who has a lot of lights and studies them. Lezyne have done great work to get the most out of the light and the beam pattern is excellent. The placement of the light is also close to ideal.

The 200mm brakes on this bike are great as well, no complaints. Suspension is excellent. The Shimano gear change is the same as on my Scott Bike and is lovely to use.

You won't be disappointed.

View attachment 74325
Awesome, that's all very reassuring! It's such a difficult environment to shop for a first emtb. I've seen other models on the shop floor but there no chance of riding one in my size prior to purchase (or at least a deposit and wait), so its a bit of a leap of faith. The bike should be here in a few weeks.

Last edited:

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
Awesome, that's all very reassuring! It's such a difficult environment to shop for a first emtb. I've seen other models on the shop floor but there no chance of riding one in my size prior to purchase (or at least a deposit and wait), so its a bit of a leap of faith. The bike should be here in a few weeks.

This afternoon was going around a hairpin corner down the steepest hill on the Yaberoo Budjara track, went wide off the track, hit a log and...

Killed my E5003...it was a mercy killing anyway. The electrics still worked and I rode about 6k back to my car.

I like the track between Lacy Road and Yanchep National Park and beautiful weather.

I got checked out at the hospital in Joondalup as I had some nasty crunching noises from my neck as I went over the handlebars and gravity didn't help as I was going down a steep slope. All good although they did X-Ray everything, just gave me plenty of painkillers and told me to rest up. I still managed to take the wheel off my bike and stash it in the boot of the Adrian. On the way back from the hospital I dropped the Merida off to 99 Bikes in Joondalup for it's first 'Safety Check'.

Weird how things happen. I couldn't lift the bike out of the boot and so there I was at 4:55pm at their shop. They were very helpful. I still had the blood stains and marks from the shrubbery on my t-shirt.

The bike looks fine but yes a safety check is probably a good idea but just not for the reasons expected.

Now...ribs and shoulder sore but some Codeine Forte to chew on.

tempImagetXpW5M.png

jgrimmo

Sep 30, 2021
2485, TWEED HEADS
Yep, the slx rear hub would randomly stop making noise when coasting DH at speed. but not when crusing along at gentle pace.
Engagement was always there tho, so i aint worried about it.
Either way I have another wheelset coming to replace this one so i aint fussed about it.

Gillyske,
What wheelset did you end up with?

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
Just an update on my accident...

I had an issue which I didn't connect to the accident which was the moving fork block designed to protect the frame.

That is 45 left and no further due to resistance then right to 90 degrees. If you then go left and force the bars, they go to 90 left but then only to 45 right.

My accident was low speed going around I would guess 110 degree right hand downhill corner. The accident happened too fast to process but I think I just ran into this block going right and the resistance would guess is about 20 pounds, too much to easily push through on the fly like that, lost the track and crashed.

I'm OK but it was over the handlebars and a pretty good hit, smashed the computer, and I am still sore and a few scratches but OK so pretty lucky I'd say.

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth

I had an issue which I didn't connect to the accident which was the moving fork block designed to protect the frame.

That is 45 left and no further due to resistance then right to 90 degrees. If you then go left and force the bars, they go to 90 left but then only to 45 right. This was something I was going to get the bike shop to look at during the 'safety check' as I only got the bike in September. It just clicked today when the shop said that this issue was caused by the accident that I realised it was probably the case that the accident was caused by this issue. Pretty serious really.

My accident was low speed going around I would guess 110 degree right hand downhill corner. The accident happened too fast to process but I think I just ran into this block going right and the resistance would guess is about 20 pounds, too much to easily push through on the fly like that, lost the track and crashed.

I'm OK but it was over the handlebars and a pretty good hit, smashed the computer, and I am still sore and a few scratches but OK so pretty lucky I'd say.

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia

That is 45 left and no further due to resistance then right to 90 degrees. If you then go left and force the bars, they go to 90 left but then only to 45 right.

Damn. Good to hear you came through without more damage.

It's rattling when you have a big stack on a newish bike. About two months into owning my Explore commuter I was riding a pathway at night, momentarily lapsed concentration and ended up on the ground in a pile, chin connecting with the path railing on the way down. Bike was no worse for wear but I have the scars to remember it by.

So this fork block doesn't seem to get a lot of love around the forums. Was the issue it performed as expected and the direction change was too much for it, that it behaved in an unpredictable fashion, or it was incorrectly installed?

Going with the same screen?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles