Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

cspo

Jul 15, 2021
Msk
Has anyone changed their stem on their 2021 eone sixty 8000? does it still retain the knock block and rectangle-shaped stem spacers?
you can use standard (rounded) spacers if you not bothered with rectangularly shaped headset cover )

stem change doesn't affect knock block

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Awesome review of the e160 700 Aluminium option

Just happens to be my bike too :cool:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Awesome review of the e160 700 Aluminium option

Just happens to be my bike too :cool:

My wife's bike too and she adores it!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It looks good. They sure do talk up the non existent double down on the rear though; sheesh :oops:. Unless they got the size wrong. It seems strange to have a dd on the front but not the rear.

Last edited:

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
It looks good. They sure do talk up the non existent double down on the rear though; sheesh :oops:. Unless they got the size wrong. It seems strange to have a dd on the front but not the rear.
They definitely come with DD front and rear. They are a different compound however.

I added an amygos bash guard the other day. It fits really well and should do the job nicely. Clearance between the crank arm however is minimal, so may need some slight adjustment in future.

I'll add some frame tape to prevent the straps marking the frame over time too. Unfortunately the lower strap runs directly over the charge port, so it needs to be undone each time to charge ?

20210714_172502.jpg

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
For those who have converted to 6 bolt wheels, have you noticed the 6 bolt magnet is really close to the speed sensor on the frame? Like almost touching it, it seems it is a lot closer than the open one that mounts in the rotor.

I have a 2021 8000 with the XT Icetech rotors

James e160

Jul 2, 2021
United kingdom
Hi all just after a bit of advice, I've got an e160 800 and when trying to install the dropper post I pulled the cable completely out, is there anyway to get the cable back in without dropping the motor and if not what bolts do i need to undo on the motor, cheers

CFME

May 4, 2021
Mt Eliza
Hi all just after a bit of advice, I've got an e160 800 and when trying to install the dropper post I pulled the cable completely out, is there anyway to get the cable back in without dropping the motor and if not what bolts do i need to undo on the motor, cheers
For those who have converted to 6 bolt wheels, have you noticed the 6 bolt magnet is really close to the speed sensor on the frame? Like almost touching it, it seems it is a lot closer than the open one that mounts in the rotor.

I have a 2021 8000 with the XT Icetech rotors
What did you use to attach the magnet to the 6 bolt rotors? Seems shimano only make centre lock rotors with the integrated magnet.

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
What did you use to attach the magnet to the 6 bolt rotors? Seems shimano only make centre lock rotors with the integrated magnet.

I bought a commencal 6 bolt magnet, but will be ordering the Magura MDR-P rotorsoon to space the magnet out a bit more.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
I had to drop the motor on my wife’s 800. Remove the 4 front bolts. Had to remove the chainring. Loosen the the two rear bolts a little bit so the motor is supported and doesn’t suddenly drop down. It’s an easy job once the motor is dropped, just a bit of a pain.
Good luck.

James e160

Jul 2, 2021
United kingdom
I had to drop the motor on my wife’s 800. Remove the 4 front bolts. Had to remove the chainring. Loosen the the two rear bolts a little bit so the motor is supported and doesn’t suddenly drop down. It’s an easy job once the motor is dropped, just a bit of a pain.
Good luck.
Cheers bud I'll give it a go

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
I was actually really pissed when I got my E160 500 due to the Kenda Regolith tyres fitted.

Even the shop manager was surprised when he found that they could not be converted to tubeless as they had a wired bead.

I accept that shops can't have tubeless tyres with sealant on bikes for sale. The surprise was that these tyres are unsuitable for use as tubeless tyres. Not only that but I have found no similar Kenda Regolith tyres of this construction except that exist on E160 500 Merida bikes.

I think it sucks really. A thoughtless and stupid act by Merida that I am going to call out. I don't buy that it is supply problems. Have they not got the memo that most people buying Mountain Bikes want tubeless tyres? I can't give the damned tyres away so they will probably end up being tossed out.

The shop put Maxxis DHF tyres on and they are fine.

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
I was actually really pissed when I got my E160 500 due to the Kenda Regolith tyres fitted.

Even the shop manager was surprised when he found that they could not be converted to tubeless as they had a wired bead.

I accept that shops can't have tubeless tyres with sealant on bikes for sale. The surprise was that these tyres are unsuitable for use as tubeless tyres. Not only that but I have found no similar Kenda Regolith tyres of this construction except that exist on E160 500 Merida bikes.

I think it sucks really. A thoughtless and stupid act by Merida that I am going to call out. I don't buy that it is supply problems. Have they not got the memo that most people buying Mountain Bikes want tubeless tyres? I can't give the damned tyres away so they will probably end up being tossed out.

The shop put Maxxis DHF tyres on and they are fine.
Not sure what your issue is. Didn't you read the spec sheet before buying?

It actually says Kenda Regolith Wired.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I don’t get it. Why do you bother replying when you have nothing to contribute?
I suppose the tough thing with buying a mountain bikes is that one person's definition of a good tyre is another person's nightmare.

Tyres are probably the single biggest way to affect bike performance. Fit heavyweight downhill tyres and the bike will feel sluggish and dead in your local country park or on the fire roads. If you fit XC tyres then you'll have a nightmare of a ride anywhere you could get punctures.

Usually one has to budget in a set of new tyres specific to the kind of riding you want to do with a new bike purchase. It does seem that the tyres they have fitted in this case would be suitable for no riding style, so I do agree this seems very penny pinching, however buying a new tyres is an exciting opportunity to make the bike really well suited to your riding... just sucks that it costs so much!

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
I suppose the tough thing with buying a mountain bikes is that one person's definition of a good tyre is another person's nightmare.

Tyres are probably the single biggest way to affect bike performance. Fit heavyweight downhill tyres and the bike will feel sluggish and dead in your local country park or on the fire roads. If you fit XC tyres then you'll have a nightmare of a ride anywhere you could get punctures.

Usually one has to budget in a set of new tyres specific to the kind of riding you want to do with a new bike purchase. It does seem that the tyres they have fitted in this case would be suitable for no riding style, so I do agree this seems very penny pinching, however buying a new tyres is an exciting opportunity to make the bike really well suited to your riding... just sucks that it costs so much!
Yes, got the nice Maxxis DHF 2.5 on both ends but not the tough downhill tyres. It is just strange that they would fit something to any mountain bike that most people buying an expensive mountain bike would choose not to use. Punctures are a shocking intrusion into any ride and takes the fun out of it and before I went tubeless, I got a few.

I'm happy enough, the bike shop was good. It was just a weird choice by Merida. The cost difference between the Kenda tyres and what I got would be negligible, unless Kenda supplied them at cost as a promotion. These particular Kenda tyres are Unicorns though in that you can not buy them anywhere else that I have seen.

It may be that they were simply the cheapest option for keeping the frame off the ground.

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
Anyone buying the 500 model (or any model really) need to be aware that is all...

1. Kenda wired rim tyres...useless for most MTB riders as they aren't tubeless ready.
2. The included charger is the cheaper Shimano one that is about half the power output of the bigger one and takes a good 10 hours to charge the battery fully (my Scott eMTB with the Bosch at half the price didn't skimp on the charger).
3. The included computer is the cheap one 5003, not the nice SM800 and it is basic and has no connectivity. It works well enough though but very basic, just an odometer, trip meter with the range and power readout.
4. The on/off switch is on the down tube not on the top tube like most of the E160 models (more expensive ones), it is harder to find and activate.
5. The under the seat toolkit is not included (it is evidently a cheap toolkit so no great loss).

It is a great bike but I would go through a checklist for any of their bikes and check these things carefully. I picked up some of these things before buying but not all of them.

Merida are tightarse IMHO.

I think these days you have to be extra careful that what you get on the model you are buying agrees with what you think you are buying based on their website and on review models which may be different specs.

Caveat Emptor

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Merida are tightarse IMHO
But it's a "Cheap"/"Budget" pared down version to keep the cost down aimed at people who don't want to pay as much for a better specification.

You can't accuse them of being tight because the budget version isn't Specified the same was as the more expensive versions ?

Yes, the tyre is a poor choice for an MTB, but the bikes aimed at people who will probably stay tubed all their lives and plod on fire roads - if they venture that far off road. That's why WE read the specifications before hand and WE make the choice of which model to buy. If the specification of the bike WE buy isn't what WE need - then that's OUR fault.

If you buy a low Spec bike, invariably you know that not everything will be to your liking and you'll have to upgrade some parts to get them as you like them or the brand you prefer and so on. This route can often be cheaper than buying a higher spec bike. Sometimes it can be more expensive, but you get the bike you actually want.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think these days you have to be extra careful that what you get on the model you are buying agrees with what you think you are buying
You accused @Matt_Rider of replying when he had nothing to contribute. As he said, you just didn't like what he had to say.

You've made several posts complaining about the bike you bought and said absolutely ridiculous things like the quoted text above.

Bikes come in different specifications. Many many things in life do. Do you have the same problems when buying cars, phones, food - "I think these days you have to be extra careful that the meal you are buying agrees with what you think you are buying - Sometimes, not everything on the menu comes looking like the picture on the front 🤯 "

Really sorry to hear that you might have to buy a pair of tyres because you saved money on the bike, but frankly your viewpoint is ridiculous.

InspectHerWheels

Sep 11, 2021
Perth
But it's a "Cheap"/"Budget" pared down version

It is a cheap bike that's for sure...(tongue in cheek...firmly)

Most of these are simply irritating marketing moves made by their marketing departments, just to differentiate products. I suppose Merida bean counters are there too but honestly the amount of money saved would be tiny.

The big feature shifts you pay for between models are forks, brakes, gears, carbon frames etc...

The small stuff like this should be included and it costs very little to include it on a new bike.

I point this stuff out so anyone reading the forum does realise and make them aware.

I have read on forums here in Oz for instance, people trying to use the e-tube app to connect to the 5003 computer and of course it can't be done. It isn't obvious either that it can't be done. You really need to be the full bottle on all the variations on the computers to realise that.

Aug 6, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Seems like a bit of an obvious question, but does a Hope Tech 3 X2 calliper fit on the rear of a 2019 Merida e160?
I have a rear Hope V4 lying around which I discovered doesn't fit :(, which I want to put on the front but its a left lever.

Also any suggestions on BB/ motor protection?
2019 Merida e160 800.jpeg

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Haha I did have something to contribute. You just didn't like what I had to say. Not my problem you bought something without having read the spec sheet.

100% agree, all the specs are written there on the Merida website and you can even use the compare feature between the bikes to pickup on the subtle differences, I researched the crap out of my 2021 8000 model before picking it up. I was also looking for a bike for my wife and personally will end up dropping the money on the 700 at a very minimum, the models below this have terrible features for a small price less.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles