Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Hi all, I ended up purchasing an E-160 900E yesterday for an absolute bargain. It had 17km of carpark riding done on it so was considered a Demo. I couldn't pass it up! It's currently en-route from interstate.

The only gripe I have with this bike is the lack of water carrying capacity, I ditched the hydration pack and it was the best thing I ever did. However there seems to be nowhere to creatively hide even 500ml of water on the frame. Has anyone have an ingenious solution to carrying some water on one of these bikes? I usually run a multitool in my pocket and my phone in the other (knock on wood never broken it)

My goal with this bike is self shuttling, I am a DH rider in essence, this bike will allow me to train without reliance on a driver or pushing up the hill.... more ridin = more fun :)

My 'analogue' ride is a Stumpjumper evo which compared to the Merida is like a stretched limo in wheelbase and is much much lower in BB height. However I think the mullet conversion on these bikes makes sense so I will throw my spare 29'er up front for a bit more rake.

Rather than go straight for an angleset, can this Fox 36 E-bike fork be extended to 170mm or is 160mm the max travel for these? I'd like to get this bike at around 64.5 degrees ideally. I know the 29'er 36 can go to 170 as I have that fork on my stumpjumper.... unsure of the e-bike fork.

I am considering the badass box for this bike, is this a taboo subject? It's purely to aid in making some of the bigger jumps I ride that require a few pedals to clear. Not looking for doing 40kph on fire roads, just an added margin for the 2% of time I need some pedal strokes above 25kph. Anything I need to be aware of when installing one of these boxes?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,
Chris.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I am considering the badass box for this bike, is this a taboo subject? It's purely to aid in making some of the bigger jumps I ride that require a few pedals to clear. Not looking for doing 40kph on fire roads, just an added margin for the 2% of time I need some pedal strokes above 25kph. Anything I need to be aware of when installing one of these boxes?

Can't help with a lot of your questions but he cheapest way to 'unlock' the motor is discussed here & best kept off the main forums.

Cheers.

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
Hi all, I ended up purchasing an E-160 900E yesterday for an absolute bargain. It had 17km of carpark riding done on it so was considered a Demo. I couldn't pass it up! It's currently en-route from interstate.

The only gripe I have with this bike is the lack of water carrying capacity, I ditched the hydration pack and it was the best thing I ever did. However there seems to be nowhere to creatively hide even 500ml of water on the frame. Has anyone have an ingenious solution to carrying some water on one of these bikes? I usually run a multitool in my pocket and my phone in the other (knock on wood never broken it)

My goal with this bike is self shuttling, I am a DH rider in essence, this bike will allow me to train without reliance on a driver or pushing up the hill.... more ridin = more fun :)

My 'analogue' ride is a Stumpjumper evo which compared to the Merida is like a stretched limo in wheelbase and is much much lower in BB height. However I think the mullet conversion on these bikes makes sense so I will throw my spare 29'er up front for a bit more rake.

Rather than go straight for an angleset, can this Fox 36 E-bike fork be extended to 170mm or is 160mm the max travel for these? I'd like to get this bike at around 64.5 degrees ideally. I know the 29'er 36 can go to 170 as I have that fork on my stumpjumper.... unsure of the e-bike fork.

Cheers,
Chris.
Hi mate if you want BADASS box for your 900E I've got one for sale it's un used.

CaptainRisky

May 25, 2019
Australia
New here, riding a 2017 e160 800 with a few mods. Bars and stem to SPANK. Deity grips. Spank wheels and Hope hubs with 2.6 Maxxis. Changed to newer Shimano mode switch and to Xfusion under bar dropper lever.
Fork change too. 170mm RS Yari 27.5 with 3 tokens (swapped from a 2018 Merida OneSixty 800)

Never going back to analog bikes.
20190603_225021.jpg
20190722_220827.jpg
20190630_162557.jpg

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

Cheers,
Chris.

How did you go mate unlocking?
I’m in Australia and have a Badass box if you’re still interested?

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
How did you go mate unlocking?
I’m in Australia and have a Badass box if you’re still interested?

I ordered one last week! Should be here by Wednesday mate.

In love with this bike. I haven’t touched my stumpjumper since getting this bike.

I put a 150mm kashima fox transfer on today along with a pnw components lever. So much nicer that the rubbish reverb.

You need to drop the motor however to do the dropper routing which was a pain. Took approx 1.5 hours all up taking my time. Well worth it. I’ll get some pictures tomorrow. Looks so nice with the black and gold.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Loving my 160, i can't get enough of it. First ride out today with new bars and stem. While I'm at it I've gone down to 760mm wide which is perfect for on the trails and single-track i do. Also loving the 180mm air shaft in the Lyrik. Feels super smooth up front and the little bit extra bb height is handy. Almost finished this build, I've got a 150mm fox transfer post to fit and otherwise thinking to go shorter cranks. Few little upgrades have really made this perfect to ride!

IMG_20190818_122009.jpg

IMG_20190818_125006.jpg

IMG_20190818_124946.jpg

IMG_20190818_123217.jpg

Last edited:

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Loving my 160, i can't get enough of it. First ride out today with new bars and stem. While I'll at it I've gone down to 760mm wide which is perfect for on the trails and single-track i do. Also loving the 180mm air shaft in the Lyrik. Feels super smooth up front and the little bit extra bb height is handy. Almost finished this build, I've got a 150mm fox transfer post to fit and otherwise thinking to go shorter cranks. Few little upgrades have really made this perfect to ride!

View attachment 17278

View attachment 17279

View attachment 17280

View attachment 17281
Nice work. That 180mm air shaft is worth every penny. Super fun and I didn't feel like I lost anything in handling. Had to stick in a Gnar dog volume spacer in rear to get rear plushness similar to front.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Nice work. That 180mm air shaft is worth every penny. Super fun and I didn't feel like I lost anything in handling. Had to stick in a Gnar dog volume spacer in rear to get rear plushness similar to front.
Yes it's money will spent and only cost me $65AUD which is very reasonable. Did you run any tokens on the front? Setup chart recommends zero @ 180mm but I've gone with one and it's perfect.
Haven't opened up the rear yet as I've been pretty happy. Standard is 2 tokens i think I've read? Gnar dog is 2.5 equiv?

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Yes it's money will spent and only cost me $65AUD which is very reasonable. Did you run any tokens on the front? Setup chart recommends zero @ 180mm but I've gone with one and it's perfect.
Haven't opened up the rear yet as I've been pretty happy. Standard is 2 tokens i think I've read? Gnar dog is 2.5 equiv?
I've gone with none at front and 3.5 rear (Gnar + 1 standard).

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I ordered one last week! Should be here by Wednesday mate.

In love with this bike. I haven’t touched my stumpjumper since getting this bike.

I put a 150mm kashima fox transfer on today along with a pnw components lever. So much nicer that the rubbish reverb.

You need to drop the motor however to do the dropper routing which was a pain. Took approx 1.5 hours all up taking my time. Well worth it. I’ll get some pictures tomorrow. Looks so nice with the black and gold.

The PNW Loam lever is pretty sweet. I actually bought one but sent it back, I was going to go the Fox transfer route but ended up sticking with the reverb and changed out the push button remote to the reverb 1x under bar. I’ve got a Fox transfer on my other bike and I’d have to say my reverb is now smoother and the lever is easier to activate than my fox transfer.

How come you had to drop the motor, Ive had my reverb out several times and the hose pulled through easily.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
The PNW Loam lever is pretty sweet. I actually bought one but sent it back, I was going to go the Fox transfer route but ended up sticking with the reverb and changed out the push button remote to the reverb 1x under bar. I’ve got a Fox transfer on my other bike and I’d have to say my reverb is now smoother and the lever is easier to activate than my fox transfer.

How come you had to drop the motor, Ive had my reverb out several times and the hose pulled through easily.

I went with the pnw remote. Works great. The transfer for me is so much better than the reverb. I have had really bad experiences with that dropper on other bikes (4 warranty claims in a year) so I thought I would get rid of it early on and get a couple of hundred bucks for it. Plus the transfer looks cool haha.

The hose and fitting would snag something for me on removal hence the motor out job. It wasn’t all bad because it gave me a good idea of how it all goes together and the very basic wiring. I wouldn’t have any issue delving in there again now I know how relatively simple it is. I also tidied up the wiring a little and waterproofed some connections somewhat.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I've dropped the crank length from 175mm to 165mm FC-M8050 XT cranks (weights here if you're interested: Shorter Shimano FC-E8000 cranks? - EMTB Forums , the XT cranks actually look really nice with two tone matt/gloss).
It's fixed a problem I never even knew I had! Technical ascents are so much easier now as you can just grind away on the pedals without worrying about timing.
With 180mm airshaft, I now feel like I can drop my BB height. Does anyone know if you can put a longer stroke shock on to get more travel? Or if offset bushings are available?

artzicat1

Mar 3, 2019
israel
damn DI2 are expensive had to go SS plus killed my cassette as a result of over tightening my chain but it work as a single speeder too
6f3adb4b-5555-49ea-8f60-02889a2fd50c.jpg

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I don't know if anyone has had the motor cutting off after big jumps due to the battery losing connection? I ran two enduro straps around the battery, but have since found the propper solution:
- With the battery removed, the plastic lock cover for the battery upper retainer has two bolts - remove these and you'll access the metal support under it. This metal support with integrated lock has two bolts securing it to the frame. This allows you to adjust the top batery support up/down. Adjust, loctite and tighten - now my battery is super secure. Very easy 5min (max) job.

As an aside: the lock mechanism is very heavy. Since I don't want to run a battery lock, does anyone know if I can replace this part with a non-locking version? That would be mega!

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
yeah that lock is a bit of a pain. Not sure if others have the same issue, but my key takes a lot of jiggling to turn. Tried graphite powder and everything. Not a huge issue but enough to slightly annoy me whenever I wash the bike.

Other than that it's an amazing machine. Extremely happy with my purchase. I was worried that 500Wh was not enough but I've done a few 1200+m vertical days now and still had enough to get me home. My body gives out before the battery does. I'm 100kg too so the consumption would be a lot higher than the average rider.

PeterM

Mar 13, 2019
New Zealand
Does anyone here have their original mode shifter lying around after an upgrade. I broke the casing on mine and the inner magnet fell out, gone for good. Based in NZ. Keen to take your old one off your hands.

miercoleando

Sep 30, 2019
SP
Hi everyone.
I Just ordered an e900 2019. Can't wait for it!!

I want to install invisiframe but I only see the kit for the 2018 frame.

Does anyone know if it is the same frame?

THX!!

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Hi all.
I had an issue where there was vertical play in my rear suspension. I narrowed it down to a bent lower shock bolt (probably caused by casing a jump too hard with the shock too soft/not enough volume spacers).

Ordered a new shock bolt from local Merida dealer: The Merida part number you require for your eOne-Sixty 800 is – 2302002127. These can be purchased from your local dealer: Find Shops - MERIDA BIKES

Ordered a new bushing, but figured I may as well order an offset bushing to drop the rear end as it's feeling high now I have 165mm XT cranks. Since the shock is trunnion mount, you can't actually change the top. The shock hardware is 40mm x 8mm, which is all you need to know to order the bushing from offsetbushings.com. Unfortunately as the bolt size is 8mm, and you can only get a bushing for the bottom, you can only drop the shock by 1mm (=2.4mm @ rear wheel, 1.6mm @ BB, 0.1deg HA). Obviously the BB height change is negigable and I can't notice it, however I figured since I needed a new bushing, I may as well get an offset one and add an infinitesimally small amount of performance to my bike!

Anyhow, just FYI in case you bend your lower shock bolt - vertical play is now gone.

OffsetBushing.jpg

Easy E

Oct 7, 2019
Australia

Cheers,
Chris.
Hi Mate,
-I run 29er front and makes the bike feel WAY better
-Also had badass since new, couple thousand k's later all good, quicker road shuttles + what you mentioned hitting faster sections
- Fox 36 ebike has 34 internals so can't be extended. Put lufkappe / fractive in mine and improves fork incredibly
- Also run DH casing 2.5 tyres with cushcore rear
Self Shuttling DH weapon !!

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Hi Mate,
-I run 29er front and makes the bike feel WAY better
-Also had badass since new, couple thousand k's later all good, quicker road shuttles + what you mentioned hitting faster sections
- Fox 36 ebike has 34 internals so can't be extended. Put lufkappe / fractive in mine and improves fork incredibly
- Also run DH casing 2.5 tyres with cushcore rear
Self Shuttling DH weapon !!

Hey mate. Thanks. Figured this all out now.

My bike is pretty much what you spelled out.

29er front on 2.5 inch assegai
2.4 inch 27.5 maxxis disector in the back
Dt Swiss 54t ratchet upgrade to the hub
Badass box (lots of issues with this)
155mm cranks.
Spent a lot of time sorting the suspension and very happy with it now. Fantastic bike.

Easy E

Oct 7, 2019
Australia
Hey mate. Thanks. Figured this all out now.

My bike is pretty much what you spelled out.

29er front on 2.5 inch assegai
2.4 inch 27.5 maxxis disector in the back
Dt Swiss 54t ratchet upgrade to the hub
Badass box (lots of issues with this)
155mm cranks.
Spent a lot of time sorting the suspension and very happy with it now. Fantastic bike.
Where did you get the 155mm cranks from ? I see your from Aus

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Where did you get the 155mm cranks from ? I see your from Aus

Yep I got them second hand from a fella on here. But you can get them from A company called Miranda. Just need the “SH” model for shimano spline.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
How's those cranks going bud, just the ticket?

Yep they are fantastic. Took a ride to get used to them but couldn’t imagine life without them now. Technical climbs are a breeze now. Don’t have to time pedal strokes just spin like a madman and make it up anything.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles