Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

Gregbase

Mar 7, 2019
Hungary
Picked up my brand spanking green e160 900e on Saturday. I took the stock Maxxis DHR IIs off and fitted Specialized Eliminator 2.6s in the Blck Dmnd casing tubeless, swapped the shifter paddles around to the normal positions, downloaded the fox manuals and setup the suspension, fitted my pedals and was good to go. I had my heart set on a Specialized Kenevo, but after a demo day ride on the Merida, and looking at value for money, I could not go past the 900e. Cost me $7000 AU with the absolute top of the line components everywhere. The Kenevo Comp is $7200 AU, and the Expert costs $9500 AU. Went for my first ride on sunday through Glenrock which was wet as f*#k, got myself and the bike completely covered in mud, but did 30km and ran out of energy before running out of battery. I have never had so much fun on a mountain bike. Consider me an ebike convert/fan
It's always good to hear something like this. All of my e biker friends here in Hungary are Specialized fanatic, so they bitchin' about me when I purchased my Merida. Of course I was also thinking to get a Kenevo, but 1, it was more expensive, 2, for some reason out of 7 specialized at least 4-5 of them had already engine problem (it's weird), 3, I feel the whole geo is better for me. The high handlebar and low seat position and the low centre of gravity makes it so much fun, and here, I don't think I need 180 mm travel. The merida has enough. :)

melonhead

Feb 9, 2019
Killingworth Australia
That’s awesome. I’ve started parking at the Yuelahbar carpark, warming up on DeLuge, over to the bus stop track at Dudley, then the DH track down to the Scout Camp. From there it’s easy to shoot over to the main section and hit the DH runs, or XC loop. I did 40km in there the other day - best ride!!
Since the NPWS "closed" the southern end of Glenrock to mountain bikes, I have not bothered heading over there. I used to ride that area all the time years ago. Maybe now with the ebike I might have to have another look.

melonhead

Feb 9, 2019
Killingworth Australia
It's always good to hear something like this. All of my e biker friends here in Hungary are Specialized fanatic, so they bitchin' about me when I purchased my Merida. Of course I was also thinking to get a Kenevo, but 1, it was more expensive, 2, for some reason out of 7 specialized at least 4-5 of them had already engine problem (it's weird), 3, I feel the whole geo is better for me. The high handlebar and low seat position and the low centre of gravity makes it so much fun, and here, I don't think I need 180 mm travel. The merida has enough. :)
I do a mix of XC, trail and DH, and doing DH was one of the main reasons I wanted the Kenevo with180mm travel, and my good relationship with my local Specialized dealer. But after riding the 900e I am positive it has the best quality 160mm travel on any ebike available, and will not be a limiting factor for full on DH runs. The limiting factor will most certainly be the muppet holding the handlebars :)

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Since the NPWS "closed" the southern end of Glenrock to mountain bikes, I have not bothered heading over there. I used to ride that area all the time years ago. Maybe now with the ebike I might have to have another look.
Yes, lots of people still ride out that way - not surprisingly - they're great trails. Definitely worth a revisit on the ebike!

Gregbase

Mar 7, 2019
Hungary
I do a mix of XC, trail and DH, and doing DH was one of the main reasons I wanted the Kenevo with180mm travel, and my good relationship with my local Specialized dealer. But after riding the 900e I am positive it has the best quality 160mm travel on any ebike available, and will not be a limiting factor for full on DH runs. The limiting factor will most certainly be the muppet holding the handlebars :)
Feel the same MATE! :) And yes, not the bike's fault if I screed something up. :) I'm still sooooo sooo happy for that bike (specialy after my haibike, which was OK, but this is a different level stuff)

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
My hybrid e120/160 in it's current form. Waiting for the new Onyx hubs to be released - will be ordering a set in gold :love:

IMG-0032.jpg
IMG-0031.jpg

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
The only real change I’ve noticed from the higher BB is that i’m not hitting the motor on things anymore and I have a few less pedal strikes - which is great!! The overall A2C of these forks was only about 1cm more than the old revelations, as they were a 29er fork and these are 27.5. Probably the only real negative of the longer front end is that, combined with the Merida’s relatively short chain stays, the front wheel likes to come up when climbing. However, it has to get fairly steep before it becomes an issue.

Nopper

Apr 6, 2019
Belgium
Hello,
Thinking of buying a 900e. As these thing are expensive in Belgium, I was thinking of buying in Germany.
Problem is if I need warranty, I have to go to the dealer where I've bought the bike.(meride costumer service's words). Anyone here needed his or her warranty yet? It looks like a solid bike.

What is you guys' opinion : going straight for the E or buy the regular 900 and upgrade some parts?

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Hello,
Thinking of buying a 900e. As these thing are expensive in Belgium, I was thinking of buying in Germany.
Problem is if I need warranty, I have to go to the dealer where I've bought the bike.(meride costumer service's words). Anyone here needed his or her warranty yet? It looks like a solid bike.

What is you guys' opinion : going straight for the E or buy the regular 900 and upgrade some parts?

Depends on whether you think the E model parts are actually an upgrade - just my opinion, but I wouldn’t want electronic shifting or a reverb... Buuuttt, the black and gold colour scheme is hard to say no to ?

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
The 900 doesnt have the new 36 grip2 ebike fork like the 900E has, does it? I love that fork.

I was sceptic about the Di2, and only have 200km on it yet, but i really like it so far. Just how well the walk function works with it, is worth alot if you play around in the steep hills now and then.

Reverb, well, not my first pick. But ill live with it for now.

andrewkeys84

Apr 5, 2019
Italy
I have a eOne Sixty 800 with the superdeluxe.
I can put my hands on a X2 2018 for 460 euro (new) or same price, the DVO Jade.
What would be the best model in your opinion???

melonhead

Feb 9, 2019
Killingworth Australia
I have a eOne Sixty 800 with the superdeluxe.
I can put my hands on a X2 2018 for 460 euro (new) or same price, the DVO Jade.
What would be the best model in your opinion???
The X2 is the highlight of the 900e in my humble opinion. The Fox 36 Grip2 fork is great, but I cant believe the small bump performance, support and progression the X2 offers, to the point where after landing a 5 foot drop it feels like you never left the ground. I have no experience with DVO though.

Last edited:

andrewkeys84

Apr 5, 2019
Italy
The X2 is the highlight of the 900e in my humble opinion. The Fox 36 Grip2 fork is great, but I cant believe the small bump performance, support and progression the X2 offers, to the point where after landing a 5 foot drop it feels like you never left the ground. I have no experience with DVO though.

Thank you for your reply...
The thing is.that I read a lot of review saying it is not worthy to upgrade the superdeluxe R to the X2 because the difference is not very noticeable, being the superdeluxe a.great.shock.
Concerning the Yari, well, my idea is to tune it and make a lyric out of it.....( It looks it is possible).
For this reason, being myself a quite aggressive rider , I was thinking about upgrading to a coil shock and the only options are :

DVO JADE - great review on it but I understood it could interfere with the frame ( I don't want to make homemade adjustments)

Cane creek DB coil CS - nice coil shock which should fit perfectly on my frame.

Ohlins TTX 2 - awaiting ohlins reply on possible interferences with my frame.

But again, if coil shock don't represents a significant improvements over the x2 , I will take it straight away being currently a burgain.

Thanks

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
I've been having a problem with my 900e that is getting worse.

I would have the rear derailluer stop working. Would turn it off, back on, working again.

That then became needing to do that multiple times, remove battery, working again.

Then I thought it might be the cable so I'd unplug and plug back in and it's work.

Today it's worked for maybe 2mins out of 1.5hrs so i had it set in gear 8 which got me through my shuttling but from about 1hr on it constantly rebooted. I tried different modes and it would reboot, even going downhill without pedalling it still kept rebooting. No errors on screen, can't be overheating as I've done plenty of shuttles on it without drama. This did 2 shuttles and then spat the dummy.

Any ideas?

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Thank you for your reply...
The thing is.that I read a lot of review saying it is not worthy to upgrade the superdeluxe R to the X2 because the difference is not very noticeable, being the superdeluxe a.great.shock.
Concerning the Yari, well, my idea is to tune it and make a lyric out of it.....( It looks it is possible).
For this reason, being myself a quite aggressive rider , I was thinking about upgrading to a coil shock and the only options are :

DVO JADE - great review on it but I understood it could interfere with the frame ( I don't want to make homemade adjustments)

Cane creek DB coil CS - nice coil shock which should fit perfectly on my frame.

Ohlins TTX 2 - awaiting ohlins reply on possible interferences with my frame.

But again, if coil shock don't represents a significant improvements over the x2 , I will take it straight away being currently a burgain.

Thanks
Ohlins TTX2 will fit, i have one on my E160 and there is about 3mm clearance. I took the spring off to check.

andrewkeys84

Apr 5, 2019
Italy
Ohlins TTX2 will fit, i have one on my E160 and there is about 3mm clearance. I took the spring off to check.
Hello drjarvis2003,

Thank you.for.your.feedback. you have it installed in a eOne Sixty and it fits perfectly with the stock spring?
How does it rides? Do you suggest the TTX2 over the CS db coil?

Many thanks

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Hello drjarvis2003,

Thank you.for.your.feedback. you have it installed in a eOne Sixty and it fits perfectly with the stock spring?
How does it rides? Do you suggest the TTX2 over the CS db coil?

Many thanks
Yes fit is all good and i was advised by Tf tuned where i bought it from. that the TTX2 was a better option than the the Cane creek. They also took the climb platform of and replaced it with a DH mode too.

grim007

Apr 11, 2019
Israel
I just ordered e-one-sixty 800.
Got an awesome deal on it and figured since I was going to swap some of the parts out anyway, may as well save the money.

I want to install Zee brakes instead of the SLX ones. I was told by the shop that its "complicated" due to cable routing and having to remove the motor and that I should pay them to do it for me. I've done break installation on regular bikes with cable routing. Is it really that harder?

Is it possible to swap the merida handlebars for something else? I was told there are some holes drilled in the merida handlebar, but saw in the thread that people are doing it. Is there anything I need to know about this?

What is the verdict on rear tyre? Do you think 2.6 feels better? Some reviewers said that the 2.8 have a baloon feeling.

Thanks!

Nopper

Apr 6, 2019
Belgium
I just ordered e-one-sixty 800.
Got an awesome deal on it and figured since I was going to swap some of the parts out anyway, may as well save the money.

I want to install Zee brakes instead of the SLX ones. I was told by the shop that its "complicated" due to cable routing and having to remove the motor and that I should pay them to do it for me. I've done break installation on regular bikes with cable routing. Is it really that harder?

Is it possible to swap the merida handlebars for something else? I was told there are some holes drilled in the merida handlebar, but saw in the thread that people are doing it. Is there anything I need to know about this?

What is the verdict on rear tyre? Do you think 2.6 feels better? Some reviewers said that the 2.8 have a baloon feeling.

Thanks!
If there's holes they would be for the di2 gear and mode switches, but looking at pictures (do not have mine yet) it looks like the cables are not routed through the handlebars. Only through the frame. Anyone who can confirm this? I was also hoping I could switch to renthal bars.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
The only cables that are routed through the handlebars is the cable for the display and for the mode selector. Super easy just to pull them out if you want to change bars. The only thing to remember is they are 35mm bars, not 31.8mm.

Regarding the brakes - I assume the zee brake uses the same banjo bolt as the SLX? If so, you could just unscrew the hose from the caliper and install a new caliper. Same on the lever end. So that is, new caliper and lever, old hose.

sonofhans

Feb 20, 2019
Miami, Qld
Can confirm this. Shimano 4 pot brakes (Zee, XT & Saint) have a shorter bolt as it installs to the top rather than side of the caliper.
I upgraded my 900 to XT 4 pot recently while retaining the hoses & levers but the new calipers didn't come with a new banyo bolt so had to source these from some old 4 pots lying around. Seems Sram 4 pot calipers share the same banyo too so LBS should be able to help out.

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
Correct: Shimano four pot brakes use a short banjo bolt. If you've got these you can leave the hoses on the bike and mount the Zee calipers and levers.
The only cables that run through the bars are the electric ones. There's a hole under the grip, and one under the stem. There are rubber bands in different diameters to guide the thin electric cables on the outside of the bar. They came with the 7000 mode selector I bought. Or just use tape ;)

Tyres are always a personal preference, but if you mount a 2.6 tyre the ground clearance becomes less. I would just try the original tyres and see for yourself, why change something just because others say so.
I'm happy with the 2.8's :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles