Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
You cannot go wrong with the Meta that's for sure... their geometry is almost identical they are both running Shimano E8000 with external batteries. The only thing is that the Meta 27 is currently not available Fox suspension it's full Rock Shox/SRAM while the 900e is Fox/Shimano. Personally, I couldn't care less I just replaced the SRAM brakes with Saints and sold the Guide RE.
The new Meta 29 signature does have full Fox setup

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Are they similar priced now? I was in the same boat but the Merida was way better value at the time. Their Meta Power promo was the first ebike video that was good.

If it was now, I'd still consider the e-One-Sixty and Meta Power but I'd also put the Norco Volt into that mix. 27.5 for fun unless you're massive or like XC.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Are they similar priced now? I was in the same boat but the Merida was way better value at the time. Their Meta Power promo was the first ebike video that was good.

The Merida eONE-Sixty was available one year earlier than the Meta Power and it had a heavily discounted introduction price. Now, the maxed out 2019 Meta Power is 1000€ cheaper than the 900e - which is still a good value.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
The Merida eONE-Sixty was available one year earlier than the Meta Power and it had a heavily discounted introduction price. Now, the maxed out 2019 Meta Power is 1000€ cheaper than the 900e - which is still a good value.

Yes it was initially discounted. The Meta is not cheaper in Australia though. The Meta Power Race (2018) and 2019 Meta Power Essential ($7199) is still more than a 2019 Merida eOne Sixty 900E ($6849).

The only reason I'd buy a Meta Power now is to be different to everyone else that has a Merida. Otherwise it's the eOne Sixty all day long (and in black).

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Yes it was initially discounted. The Meta is not cheaper in Australia though. The Meta Power Race (2018) and 2019 Meta Power Essential ($7199) is still more than a 2019 Merida eOne Sixty 900E ($6849).

The only reason I'd buy a Meta Power now is to be different to everyone else that has a Merida. Otherwise it's the eOne Sixty all day long (and in black).

I didn't know that I was only referring to the European prices where the Meta Power is cheaper than the Merida.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Merida is not sold in the US (competition with specialized, same owner from what I understand)

I can get a Merida from Germany for $6600 US without the battery. Add another $600 or so for the battery. Meta Power 29 race $5300, signature with full Fox setup is $5999.

2018 meta race 650 with Fox $4999

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Merida is not sold in the US (competition with specialized, same owner from what I understand)

I can get a Merida from Germany for $6600 US without the battery. Add another $600 or so for the battery. Meta Power 29 race $5300, signature with full Fox setup is $5999.

2018 meta race 650 with Fox $4999
I'd get the 2018 Race Fox for $4999 and spend the price difference on some awesome biking trips. :)

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
Has anyone had issues with the walk mode on the Meridas? Mine is so slow it is unusable - much slower than a slow walk for me. I've heard that there's a double-click that makes it twice as fast, but that doesn't seem to work for me. I've seen other e160s in walk mode going much faster than mine does, so I can't figure out what is going on. It's not something that can be changed in the software like the pedal assist modes etc. As it is, I can't see the point of a walk mode that is painfully slow. Perhaps it would be useful if I was rock climbing with the bike...

It's not a feature I use often, but it would nice to have the option.

I find it depends which mode I’m in before I switch to walk mode. Eco not very fast, boost much faster. I just shift up to a higher mode before walk.

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
When changing over to the 4 pot calipers, did you have to use new hoses as well or do they just go on the end of the existing brake hose? I’m looking at getting the 900 and this is also and upgrade I’d be interested in doing.
Sorry for my late reply, haven't been on the forum for a while.
But you can attach the four pot calipers to the existing hoses, you just need other banjo bolts (shorter).

I bought a complete set of XT four pot brakes, swapped the calipers and banjos and put the two pot set on another bike I want to sell.

The XT four pots are great by the way ;)

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Sorry for my late reply, haven't been on the forum for a while.
But you can attach the four pot calipers to the existing hoses, you just need other banjo bolts (shorter).

I bought a complete set of XT four pot brakes, swapped the calipers and banjos and put the two pot set on another bike I want to sell.

The XT four pots are great by the way ;)
Did you reuse the original 2 pot grips with the 4 pot calipers and if you did, how do they perform?
Usually you will need a bigger piston in the grip to move more fluid when going 4 pot.

Just curious cause that would be an easy solution for me as well on my wife’s EMTB.

Karsten

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Do you mean lever (grips)? Shimano levers are the all the same. I've tried nearly all combinations on Shimano and there's no difference. What I have discovered though is that I prefer to pair Shimano levers with Magura calipers... Shigura!

Screenshot_20180826-190018.jpg

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
That's right, al Shimano levers are compatible, even the old ones (before they started to use the servo wave on hydraulic levers).
Never tried the Shigura option, I'm happy with the Shimano's as they come ;)

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
I"ve put an XT 4 pot calliper on the front and it is heaps better than the M8000 calliper. It was a bummer having to buy an additional hose/banjo though, it added up to almost as much as a complete M8020 brake. Wish I'd seen the complete set on Merlin for $300 at the time as now I really want one on the rear as well!

shklein

Jan 29, 2019
Israel
HELP : I Have managed to dent my rear rim for the second time on my 7 weeks year old bike.
I ride Merida e-one sixty 900 with the Merida rims.
I usually pump in more than 20 PSI and I weight 80Kg (177 pounds) so it should be enough.
I am open to suggestions. Even changing to a stronger rim (maybe DH rim ???) . Will that void my warranty ?

in the video: first (fixed) dent vs. new dent. Thanks.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
HELP : I Have managed to dent my rear rim for the second time on my 7 weeks year old bike.
I usually pump in more than 20 PSI and I weight 80Kg (177 pounds) so it should be enough.
I am open to suggestions. Even changing to a stronger rim (maybe DH rim ???) . Will that void my warranty ?

Warranties are subject to each manufacturer. Eg. The motor shits itself then Shimano will replace it. Frame cracks then Merida replaces it.. etc.

If you want to keep those butter rims then I'd suggest a foam insert (DIY or off the shelf). I personally run carbon rims with 40mm backer rod and have never had an issue at about 100kg's. They don't dint.. but they do crack if you like hucking 6ft chunky rock gardens.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
H Will that void my warranty ?

Depends on the country and local laws. In Oz, at least, changing one component can not void a warranty unless that change is responsible for the failure. So a new rim would have no impact on the frame or motor for example.

Also in Oz, Merida would be responsible for the whole bike as shipped. If the motor goes it's Merida who gets to sort it out. But that varies country to country.

You need to see what your local consumer laws say as to what will and won't void a warranty as it's different in different places.

Gordon

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Just been told by a Merida dealer that there will be a new Enduro focused model announced for next year. Some will be carbon and others will be Aluminium. Might see some pre production samples appearing around July. My guess will be the usual longer, lower and slacker along with increased travel. Another guess is that, as Shimano have 2 year production cycles that there will be a new version of the E 8000 motor too.

Dasucle

Jan 21, 2019
Spain canary islands
Hello basy i read you about your improvements on your 900e and im thinking to buy 1.5 or 1 degree angle head set, my 900e have an 29” front wheel and think this slack a bit the bike and dont know if buy 1 or 1.5 angle head set. In the other way i would like to know if you have feel the difference and if you think is a good improvement or is not neccesary (maybe the bike becomes less manouvrability)? Dont know... thanks a lot for your post and information and sorry for my english from the canary islands jeje...

sonofhans

Feb 20, 2019
Miami, Qld
In Melbourne until this Friday, not sure yet when the Large arrives. I have my little fella (4 years old) with me while the wife is at work so that somewhat limits my movements. I have brought his little "Shotgun" seat so I can tonk around with him on the bike but sadly won't have the chance for some proper trails I don't think.
Hey there,
Did you get your shotgun to fit alright? I'm having a bit of trouble getting mine to fit the e160 & stay stable. Tends to pivot around the wider downtube rather than attach to the top tube

Maximage

Oct 19, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Hey there,
Did you get your shotgun to fit alright? I'm having a bit of trouble getting mine to fit the e160 & stay stable. Tends to pivot around the wider downtube rather than attach to the top tube
Yeah, I did, with a bit of fiddling. Had to tighten up the one for the top tube and for the two halves of the quick release to be able to reach and thread together, but then had to bend out the main legs a bit to curve out for the down tube and then bend it straight again at the bottom so that the footage rod can reach, so imagine a very subtle "s".
Despite boning it, I definitely feel a lot better clamping it onto this bike being alloy than on my carbon Reign Advanced or Trance Advanced (and no way in hell I'd be game to do it on my TCR Advanced ?)

Tommyknocker

Feb 14, 2019
Madrid

I recomend you to put a Mouse inside the Tyres.. that will not happend again... Anaconda is the brand I use, cheap and easy to get inside

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Hello basy i read you about your improvements on your 900e and im thinking to buy 1.5 or 1 degree angle head set, my 900e have an 29” front wheel and think this slack a bit the bike and dont know if buy 1 or 1.5 angle head set. In the other way i would like to know if you have feel the difference and if you think is a good improvement or is not neccesary (maybe the bike becomes less manouvrability)? Dont know... thanks a lot for your post and information and sorry for my english from the canary islands jeje...

Sorry didn't notice your post till now.

I probably wouldn't use an angleset if you're going to use a 29" on the front. The 1.5 Degree on mine has made it harder to navigate tight steep rocky switch backs but I don't like riding that stuff anyway. For the downhill it has improved stability and rock garden plow somewhat but not hugely. I'd say if you're bored and borderline pro then go for it otherwise save your money and time and buy some carbon rims instead.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Sorry didn't notice your post till now.

I probably wouldn't use an angleset if you're going to use a 29" on the front. The 1.5 Degree on mine has made it harder to navigate tight steep rocky switch backs but I don't like riding that stuff anyway. For the downhill it has improved stability and rock garden plow somewhat but not hugely. I'd say if you're bored and borderline pro then go for it otherwise save your money and time and buy some carbon rims instead.

I will second that. put a 1.5 degree headset in and all was good until i put a 29er front wheel on and the bike kept over steering me off the track. I do ride a lot of very steep and techy trails. Im now back onto 27.5 and running 2.6 Magic Marys that seems to be as good as i can get.

artzicat1

Mar 3, 2019
israel
hello to all nice place you all have here
this is my stock eonesixty just swaped to saint brakes this bike is so much funn after braking two one twenty 9.8000 :sneaky::sneaky: did a test ride and was hooked
20190104_090004.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles