Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi All.

My Merida e160 900e has a Large size frame. I'm 6' 3" and 120kg.

When I first started this mtb journey, I don't think the "bike fit" was all that important. Nor body attitude on the bike. I was generally a passenger everywhere on the trails going downhill and just using the motor to tractor up hills.

But now my riding skills are progressing. And when I get in the "ready" position going downhill, pump over humps, get ready to lift the front wheel, or stand up to pedal etc my hand position seems too low. It's a real stretch to the bars and I can often feel too much of my body weight has transferred into the handlebar.

I think fitting a 29" wheel to the front would be helpful. Would this be the case? Are there any other considerations to convert the bike to a mullet?

Good advice appreciated.

Garrit Verway

Sep 18, 2018
Bright 3741 Australia
Hi All.

My Merida e160 900e has a Large size frame. I'm 6' 3" and 120kg.

When I first started this mtb journey, I don't think the "bike fit" was all that important. Nor body attitude on the bike. I was generally a passenger everywhere on the trails going downhill and just using the motor to tractor up hills.

But now my riding skills are progressing. And when I get in the "ready" position going downhill, pump over humps, get ready to lift the front wheel, or stand up to pedal etc my hand position seems too low. It's a real stretch to the bars and I can often feel too much of my body weight has transferred into the handlebar.

I think fitting a 29" wheel to the front would be helpful. Would this be the case? Are there any other considerations to convert the bike to a mullet?

Good advice appreciated.
Hi
Had the same bike and size l'm 6ft tried 29 inch perhaps better d/h, but steep inclines horrible couldn't keep front wheel on the ground , l fitted stem extender not convinced in that fit either, Have you ridden xlarge ? .
My bike was stolen recently purchased e160 9000xl which are mullet but the whole geometry is different, and i dont feel as crowded on it, but yet to ride the super steep stuff .
But IMHO not as nice a bike , mainly missing di2 and that stupid headset internal wiring , wish l could buy new 900e
Good luck

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi
Had the same bike and size l'm 6ft tried 29 inch perhaps better d/h, but steep inclines horrible couldn't keep front wheel on the ground , l fitted stem extender not convinced in that fit either, Have you ridden xlarge ? .
My bike was stolen recently purchased e160 9000xl which are mullet but the whole geometry is different, and i dont feel as crowded on it, but yet to ride the super steep stuff .
But IMHO not as nice a bike , mainly missing di2 and that stupid headset internal wiring , wish l could buy new 900e
Good luck
That's a good point about weight over the front wheel when climbing. There is one short sharp steep section where I have been riding and the front wheel already bobs to the point it must be very near lift-off.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
How about a riser handlebar? 40-50mm would give you what you're after?
Yes - that is certainly an option. I'm studying bike fit and geometry now.

I came across the RAD and RAAD (Lee Likes Bikes) topic recently. Using AutoCAD I've drawn my frame and candidate SQLabs cockpit parts (stem, spacers and handlebar) to get to a supposedly near perfect RAD = 840mm and RAAD = 59 degrees. Then I came to realise that half the population seems to support the RAD & RAAD method; the other half doesn't!

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
If you feel like you have too much weight on the bars, both a high rise bar (or just moving spacers under the stem if you have any left) or a 29" front wheel will help raise the front and reduce the weight on there. The advantage of 29" is that you also get all the other benefits, slacker head angle and better roll over, so I would go with that option, particularly as it makes your bike more inkeeping with modern trends.

pev73

Jun 11, 2023
Adelaide
Has anyone upgraded the wheels on the 2021 e160? How did you fit the magnet to 6 bolt rotor hubs? My e160 has centre lock hubs with the magnet as part of the rotor (I think).
Is there a magnet that would fit onto the 6 bolt hubs (like hope fortus)? I've seem magnets for the levo, would they work? I'm not sure about the spacing.
Thanks.
Hey mate, i have the same issue. I had to get a new rear wheel and ended up with one that needed a 6 bolt rotor hub with a bosch magnet sensor but doesn't really reach the receiver attached to the frame. seems i need 40mm from centre of hub. Have moved over with only 1 bolt attached but it skims on the caliper ffs!. How did you go with the Magura set up?
Adam

bosch maget.jpg

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Hey mate, i have the same issue. I had to get a new rear wheel and ended up with one that needed a 6 bolt rotor hub with a bosch magnet sensor but doesn't really reach the receiver attached to the frame. seems i need 40mm from centre of hub. Have moved over with only 1 bolt attached but it skims on the caliper ffs!. How did you go with the Magura set up?
Adam

View attachment 117421
I bought this, works perfectly:

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Does anyone know what rear brake rotor adapter they run on the e160? I am looking to upgrade from the stock rear size 200mm to a 220mm rotor (already have 6 bolt wheels, etc) just not near the bike for a while and wanted to get something ordered today. I am pretty sure it has a 180-203 adapter from stock and I need a 180-220 adapter just need to confirm.

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
Does anyone know what rear brake rotor adapter they run on the e160? I am looking to upgrade from the stock rear size 200mm to a 220mm rotor (already have 6 bolt wheels, etc) just not near the bike for a while and wanted to get something ordered today. I am pretty sure it has a 180-203 adapter from stock and I need a 180-220 adapter just need to confirm.
203 on mine. 2021 model

20230616_154742.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi, I am looking for just the chainring for my eOne-Sixty. I can only find ones that come with the Spider, which seems an unnecessary expense. I know that Shimano do separate rings for 10 & 11-speed, so I’m assuming that they also do 12-speed.

The one I'm looking for is a Shimano CRE80-12-B, 34 teeth. It's a steel one. (The -12-B just means 12-speed, black).

I have Googled, checked eBay and several other places that usually have something. Nothing so far.

I know that I can get alloy ones from Raceface, Hope and Superstar Components but the steel one has done well and I would prefer another one.

How do I tell without removing it first if the chainring is asymmetric or not? Or does one of you guys already know?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ha! I had given up too easily! At the bottom of a long product list provided by Amazon, I found one at an insanely expensive price, but it did have a Shimano part number for a 36T. I copied the number and changed the 36 in the description to 34 and Googled: "SHIMANO Cycling Y0KJ34100" (The Shimano part number is YOKJ34100).

I came up with something from Bike-Discount in Germany, for €59.99 + €4.49 shipping costs, delivery 1-4 days.

STEPS SM-CRE80-12 Chainring without Spider

No doubt there are other suppliers, but I haven't looked any further yet.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yesterday my 12s chain snapped. One of the outer links peeled apart and off it went. I was lucky that there was no damage to the mech or any other part of the bike. Fixed trailside with a new power link. This has prompted me to get on with the transmission refurb.

The cassette had done 2273 miles, I had tried to put a new chain at 1789m, but it wouldn't run on the cassette without slipping. At that time, I had bits of two old chains that weren't too badly worn just damaged and too short to use, so I made up one whole one and used that! It ran perfectly well, no shifting problems and no skipping. I put the KMC-X12 chain back in its box where I could find it again (I still had to hunt for it!) While it was fresh in my mind, I bought a new cassette, same as the old one, Shimano XT. But I knew that one day I would have to replace the lot. I was expecting the chainring to need replacing too, hence the questions above earlier this week.

Today I changed the cassette and chain. No problems, easy job.
I removed the new power link I used yesterday and put that in the bag with three other new power links. I removed the two old power links also on the chain and put them in a bag for giving away to those stranded by the trailside, also a short length of old 12s chain, ditto.

The chainring is steel and is showing no signs of wear other than scuffing to the black finish. There are no signs of shark finning, extended wear to the root of the teeth, and no burring. Significantly, it ran perfectly well with the new chain, but that was out on the street. It will have a proper test next time I'm out on the trail. I am amazed at its condition and I hope it passes the trail test as that will save me £55. :)

While I'm on the topic of chain tooth wear, I thought you might like to see a comparison of the old and new cassettes. I have lined them up in the same orientation for ease of comparison. The old cassette had a tooth missing on the 45t ring (not shown), but it seemed to run ok, never noticed a dodgy shift. Maybe I was just lucky?
Cassette 12s Shimano XT - new.jpg
Cassette 12s Shimano XT - old.jpg

There is a lot of burring to the 9 smallest gears. Numbers 2-7 are worn so badly that they are pointed! It's only when you get up close that you can really see the wear and the burrs. I know that a worn chain damages everything it runs with and I remain astonished that the chainring has survived relatively intact.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Rode my wifes E160 today as mine had a flat tyre. I'd forgotten how good a bike it is. It absolutely kicks my Rails arse in every way apart from the motor losing a bit of torque when it gets a bit steep. Well done with your bike choice my friends!

Cranker

May 29, 2020
Australia
How are you finding the coil on the back? I am contemplating removing the X2 I put on mine in favour of a coil as I just don't get along with it too well.
Same here mate, replaced the X2 with the coil. From the 2 rides I had on the coil, it feels more plusher and much better grip on bumpy section. Havent done much jumping on it yet though.

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
S
Same here mate, replaced the X2 with the coil. From the 2 rides I had on the coil, it feels more plusher and much better grip on bumpy section. Havent done much jumping on it yet though.
Sweet! I have even had the bike setup with byb telemetry (Zeb up the front is amazing) and the back end still feels way too soft, but you add more pressure and it rides like crap.

Might go order a 2023 coil ultimate for it!

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
Can anyone recommend a decent travel bag for the E160? I'm looking to take in on a plane but also will need to transport before and after so wheels are a must....don't want 30kg hanging off my shoulder. ;-) The smaller the better. I've had a look at the Evoc Pro but at 10kg it's not very light and it looks enormous!

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Can anyone recommend a decent travel bag for the E160? I'm looking to take in on a plane but also will need to transport before and after so wheels are a must....don't want 30kg hanging off my shoulder. ;-) The smaller the better. I've had a look at the Evoc Pro but at 10kg it's not very light and it looks enormous!
I can't help with a bag as never looked at them. Biggest question is the battery. Have you checked you can take it via the airline?

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
Does anyone know whether a Fox Transfer 2021 150mm will fit an E160 8000 medium (2021 model). It looks close and I have all the numbers but would need to know before ordering.
TIA

EDIT: To answer my own question...NO it does not or at least it can't be fully inserted. ABSOLUTE max insertion depth for the 30.9mm diameter is about 222.5mm. The actuator can stick out a bit more but it depends on the shape of that thing. Unfortunately that SEVERELY limits what 150mm (or larger you can fit).

Last edited:

Schbeemb

Nov 26, 2018
London
Is it really a difference that you can feel? I'm so tempted by a coil. Can I ask what sizing you went for?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles