Official Canyon EMTB Thread

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Hmm.. not looking to buy until the new year anyway but might just get a Focus jam2 instead or a trek powerfly and get local dealership with Evans.
I’ve looked at the focus jam too but difficult battery access and small battery or carrying 2 put me off straight away. It’s hard enough managing battery charge with easy access, don’t need to make it anymore difficult

Jojo10

Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Hello

Got my SW-E7000 Switch today.
20181122_215746.jpg

Much better than the 6000. Bigger buttons, better to handle with gloves, over all smaller package, smaller width, so you can move the brake more to the outside of the handlebar.
The only downside is, the cable is exactly 300 and so it is too short to get to the display. Even with the display moved maximum to the stem, it doesn't fit.
I have to cut it and solder a piece of the 6000 cable to it. 350 should be the right length.

Bye

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
New Neuron on some IG posts but not on Canyons site yet. Looks identical to the Spectral with a 130mm fork. Does say can be run using 27.5 and 29 wheels though.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Prices haven’t changed but specs have. The new 8.0 looks pretty close the old 7.0 but £800 more. Quite happy bought when I did.

Pieter

Nov 12, 2018
Netherlands
Alexrims EM 35 never heard of it, does anyone know the specifications? Choice between DtSwiss H1700 Spine versus Alexrims EM 35. What is wise?like the Fox suspension.

ginogino

Oct 4, 2018
Italy, Sarzana (SP)
I looked forward to the new ebike canyon, but unfortunately the canyon designers do not know how to make an ebike in size S with wheels of 29, I will touch the toad and take a levo 2019.

Pieter

Nov 12, 2018
Netherlands
I looked forward to the new ebike canyon, but unfortunately the canyon designers do not know how to make an ebike in size S with wheels of 29, I will touch the toad and take a levo 2019.
yes I can understand that, have not made a decision yet, but indeed levo or Spectral On. canyon has the ability to easily bring a second battery. Personally I think the Giant Trance E + 1 Pro is also very nice but unfortunately a second battery is not an option. decisions decisions?

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Prices haven’t changed but specs have. The new 8.0 looks pretty close the old 7.0 but £800 more. Quite happy bought when I did.
I can’t see any difference in spec apart from fox float v RockShox setup. A couple of Reviews I’ve read put the fox slightly ahead of the RockShox setup so the new spectral 7 could be a good buy at the same price

Pieter

Nov 12, 2018
Netherlands
I can’t see any difference in spec apart from fox float v RockShox setup. A couple of Reviews I’ve read put the fox slightly ahead of the RockShox setup so the new spectral 7 could be a good buy at the same price[/QUOTE

The Rimms Alex rimms versus Dtswiss

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I can’t see any difference in spec apart from fox float v RockShox setup. A couple of Reviews I’ve read put the fox slightly ahead of the RockShox setup so the new spectral 7 could be a good buy at the same price

Yeah could be right. Had a few Fox forks and a Pike and now Lyrik. My preference is Rockshox for riding and home servicing reasons but each to his own. Arguably the XT brakes might be better than Zees as well. Think the wheel set on the old 7.0 is better. Possibly not a huge difference though.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Yeah could be right. Had a few Fox forks and a Pike and now Lyrik. My preference is Rockshox for riding and home servicing reasons but each to his own. Arguably the XT brakes might be better than Zees as well. Think the wheel set on the old 7.0 is better. Possibly not a huge difference though.
Yeah I bet there’s not much in it, the fox have a longer service duration than the RockShox as well which is always a bonus

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Bizarrely the Spectral:On 8.0 now features X01 Eagle... with a grip shift! Yes, really. Exactly who asked for that? :unsure: The Neuron does look good though, but personally I can’t see any major advantages to choosing a short travel ebike over one in the 150mm range.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Bizarrely the Spectral:On 8.0 now features X01 Eagle... with a grip shift! Yes, really. Exactly who asked for that? :unsure: The Neuron does look good though, but personally I can’t see any major advantages to choosing a short travel ebike over one in the 150mm range.
Grip shift.. my old Raleigh grifter had that back in the day.. was shit then too lol. ditto on the neuron, don’t really see the point.

Antsa

Patreon
Nov 28, 2018
Finland
Could you tell me the main differences between 6.0 and 7.0. I’m not sure which one should I buy. Most of my rides are trail riding but I ride also some enduro and bikepark (but no big jumps or drops)

I would like to know the differences between forks (rhythm vs. Performance), drivetrain (1x12 GX eagle vs. 1x11 xt) and the brakes (sram guide re vs. shimano xt)

Thanks!

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Could you tell me the main differences between 6.0 and 7.0. I’m not sure which one should I buy. Most of my rides are trail riding but I ride also some enduro and bikepark (but no big jumps or drops)

I would like to know the differences between forks (rhythm vs. Performance), drivetrain (1x12 GX eagle vs. 1x11 xt) and the brakes (sram guide re vs. shimano xt)

Thanks!
Rhythm and Performance have the same damper but the Rhythm is made of 6xxx series aluminum and Performance is 7xxx which supposed to be more rigid.

1x12 GX (with NX cassette) vs 1x11 XT (with SLX cassette) - on an ebike, I would go for the XT every day over the GX Eagle. That rear mech is flimsy, the cage is long and sticks out more to the side than the XT shadow (I have both on two of my bikes). Also, the range difference between the 11-50 NX and the 11-46 SLX cassette is totally negligible on an ebike.

Guide RE vs XT 4 piston Ice-Tech - hands down XT for me. (I had Guide RE and RS but I replaced them with Shimano Saints (XT is pretty much the same).

The difference is 500€ and I don't know if it worth it. The fork is almost the same, there are differences between the shifting and the brakes but they are also a personal preference and either can be good. Personally, I would go for the 7.0 but that's just me...

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Thank you for this thread, very helpful. I have just ordered a Spectral:On 7.0. I went for last years model as I have a preference for Lyriks and DT Swiss wheels. It comes with Shimano Zees, which I believe are i-spec-B(?). I've ordered an E6000 switch, and I'd like to order a One Up dropper lever but wanted to check - is there any way to mate this to the Zee lever, or do I need to order the 22.2 HB clamp?

Thanks,

Rich.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thank you for this thread, very helpful. I have just ordered a Spectral:On 7.0. I went for last years model as I have a preference for Lyriks and DT Swiss wheels. It comes with Shimano Zees, which I believe are i-spec-B(?). I've ordered an E6000 switch, and I'd like to order a One Up dropper lever but wanted to check - is there any way to mate this to the Zee lever, or do I need to order the 22.2 HB clamp?

Thanks,

Rich.
Good choice, Lyrik is great and the DT wheelset with the 350 hubs is better. I guess it will come with the 18T star ratchet but you can upgrade it to 36T any time.
Yes, Zee is i-spec B, I'd go with the HB clamp. There are some adapters but the HB clamp is slim and you can independently adjust it from the brake lever.
E6000 switch is 'plug and play' it's an easy swap.

Antsa

Patreon
Nov 28, 2018
Finland
Rhythm and Performance have the same damper but the Rhythm is made of 6xxx series aluminum and Performance is 7xxx which supposed to be more rigid.

1x12 GX (with NX cassette) vs 1x11 XT (with SLX cassette) - on an ebike, I would go for the XT every day over the GX Eagle. That rear mech is flimsy, the cage is long and sticks out more to the side than the XT shadow (I have both on two of my bikes). Also, the range difference between the 11-50 NX and the 11-46 SLX cassette is totally negligible on an ebike.

Guide RE vs XT 4 piston Ice-Tech - hands down XT for me. (I had Guide RE and RS but I replaced them with Shimano Saints (XT is pretty much the same).

The difference is 500€ and I don't know if it worth it. The fork is almost the same, there are differences between the shifting and the brakes but they are also a personal preference and either can be good. Personally, I would go for the 7.0 but that's just me...

Thanks fot the great answer!

There is now also 2018 7.0 model in size S.. I just don't know what to do! :D

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales

Thanks,

Rich.

Great choice. Love my 7.0. If you got it for £3900 I think it's better than the 2019 7.0 spec wise.

I put a wolftooth lever on with the ispec B option and E6000 switch. Works great.

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Great choice. Love my 7.0. If you got it for £3900 I think it's better than the 2019 7.0 spec wise.

I put a wolftooth lever on with the ispec B option and E6000 switch. Works great.

Perfect, thanks. I've just been back through this thread and reviewed your photo's, very useful. Off the back of that I've ordered an i-spec b wolftooth lever (light action, so the longer version the same as yours).

As an aside, I ordered the bike at 9.44pm on Tuesday evening, and at 3:15pm today (Thursday) received confirmation that it's been shipped. So far so good.

Out of interest, has anyone changed the stem? I saw a review that said it was 60mm and might benefit from being shorter? My main trail bike (Transition Smuggler) is 457mm reach, the Canyon is 465mm (both size large), so I'm wondering if that 8mm would make much difference? Seems an easy swap to a 50mm stem, but would spending £60 on that small a change make much difference?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles