Official Canyon EMTB Thread

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Ordered last Tuesday, arrived today. Now, the plan is to not open the box until Xmas Day, but:
1. Looking at pictures of others boxes, they had a box on top too - what was in that box?
2. One person said his arrived with the wrong forks.
So, everything's been great so far; shall I tell my wife to wrap it with the kids now, or should I open it and check it first? I'm going to check it tomorrow aren't I.....?

2018-12-04 12.51.30.jpg

Jojo10

Sep 27, 2018
Germany
In the "other" box you will find the battery. It should be an extra box, definitely.
And you should open it to check. Mine was perfectly build, but you never know.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Ordered last Tuesday, arrived today. Now, the plan is to not open the box until Xmas Day, but:
1. Looking at pictures of others boxes, they had a box on top too - what was in that box?
So, everything's been great so far; shall I tell my wife to wrap it with the kids now, or should I open it and check it first? I'm going to check it tomorrow aren't I.....?

View attachment 8515
The battery is normally in a separate box strapped to the top with the relevant safety warnings on. I didn't know when I got mine that you are supposed to keep the battery box incase you have a fault and need to send the battery off to Madison

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK

View attachment 8515
you’ll be reyt, tell em to get it wrapped and enjoy the unboxing on xmas day ??

Pieter

Nov 12, 2018
Netherlands

View attachment 8515
nice christmas gift!

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
In the end I pulled the lid and shoved a phone in the box and took some photo's. Battery is attached and frame lights up sparkly in the flash of the camera. Amazing photo's really, it was dark in the box and I couldn't see a thing. Lids back on, box under sheets, Cath will stick a bow on it at some point. Not sure I'll have much time to do anything with it Christmas Day, or Boxing Day come to that, but no rush. I asked the physio for his thoughts today and he says I'm a way off riding yet. I'm still mainly doing hydrotherapy (twice a week) and he needs me jogging in the gym, so we can test the robustness of my hips, before I can go anywhere near a mountain bike, and seeing as I can't walk unaided yet. Sigh.

Anyway, back to the good news - bike with battery has arrived :)

2018-12-05 14.56.07.jpg

2018-12-05 14.56.17.jpg

2018-12-05 14.56.20.jpg

2018-12-05 14.59.45.jpg

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Interesting. What is the standard shock size, where's this quoted? I'm struggling to find good data for the Canyon, which is frustrating.
Turns out there is the possibility of decent info on the Canyon site:
Technical Support | Services | CANYON (EN)

I say possibility, as the Spectral:On doesn't appear to be covered, but maybe it will be in time.

Has anyone seen the rear shock sizes (length and stroke) quoted anywhere? Ta.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I am considering a Spectral:On 6 or 7. I really like Sram 12spd on the model 6, but I also like the better fork on the 7. The cost difference is 500€ in Sweden.
Any input on this?

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
I'm no expert, but having looked at the prices of the individual components that are different, there's not much in it. As to the fork, I don't know much about Fox stuff, but I'm sure someone said that those forks are pretty much the same apart from the material used (6000 v 7000?) and that most people wouldn't notice any difference in performance. That being the case, I'd choose whether I want SRAM or Shimano. And that's not easy for me; I prefer SRAM gears and Shimano brakes. I'm not sure I'm helping! Good luck deciding.

Screenshot 2018-12-10 at 09.41.46.png

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
I just checked the pictures - the decals on the rims are louder on the 7.0, more stealthy on the 6.0. That's swung it for me, I'd buy the 6.0 and put the savings away for repairs/upgrades and maybe a an extra battery in the future. Or XT brakes ;-)

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM

At least we know what the bike is capable of. Puts us mere mortals to shame

I met Blake when he was shooting on a fat bike at the pump track in Bristol. Came across as a really nice fella, not particularly tall, but by christ has he got powerful legs? Have you seen him on that GCN FTP fitness test video? He put out over 1400 watts. That's nuts.

Antsa

Patreon
Nov 28, 2018
Finland
I am considering a Spectral:On 6 or 7. I really like Sram 12spd on the model 6, but I also like the better fork on the 7. The cost difference is 500€ in Sweden.
Any input on this?

I was considering between 6.0 and 7.0 and I end up buying the 6.0. I heard also that the difference between the forks are different material of alloy and a bit more weight but average rider doesn't feel any difference (This is from the Canyon customer service). I saved 500€ and now I can buy even more Christmas gifts to my self! ;)

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
Nice. I have had a Specialized Levo as a demo this weekend with a rock shox Reba, what a horrible fork that is. I was offered it for 2800€ as a demo bike but I think I would rather get a new Spectral:eek:n6 instead especially if the fork is as good as a Fox Performance fork.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Over a lot of humming and hawing over the last 6 months I've finally spent my 4k and joined the Canyon club. Decided on the new Neutron On 7.0 as it suits the type of riding I will do and figured it would be a good newbie emtb, not to mention it looks awesome too. Now just have to wait until February to get my hands on it, hopefully no delays. ?

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Cannock chase today, cold and muddy but at least it stayed dry, shame i’m full of cold but still managed to enjoy it.
Five ways and upper cliff (my favourite section) closed due to tree felling.Bike straight back in the shed, 3rd muddy ride without a clean, i really must get round to it.
112796DF-F637-4441-9D51-9CB0338CF987.jpeg

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
Finally received my Spectral:ON, what a machine it is, I just took it around my local trails and it was hilarious.
I am going further from home tomorrow and wondered what people are using to cover the battery terminals when the battery is off the bike as I will be putting it on my rear tow bar mounted rack.
Also, does anyone use any form of protection on the terminals like grease etc to keep moisture out.
I had a slight issue on the first ride as the motor seemed to overheat and I thought I could smell it too before the error code came upon the screen,
All help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Finally received my Spectral:ON, what a machine it is, I just took it around my local trails and it was hilarious.
I am going further from home tomorrow and wondered what people are using to cover the battery terminals when the battery is off the bike as I will be putting it on my rear tow bar mounted rack.
Also, does anyone use any form of protection on the terminals like grease etc to keep moisture out.
I had a slight issue on the first ride as the motor seemed to overheat and I thought I could smell it too before the error code came upon the screen,
All help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
I sometimes carry mine on the roof of the car, I remove the battery for the weight as it's on the limit of my Thule upride.

If it's raining really badly I will tape a plastic bag around the connections but to be honest you don't really need it. I've cleaned the bike multiple times with a hose and they are designed to drain.

I've got wd40 contact cleaner which seems to be pretty good.

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
I don't know any better, but I think a light blast with an air compressor and/or some WD40 would be more than enough to keep things all good?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can buy covers for the terminals, I use them when storing the bike/transporting. I have this one which fits the Shimano

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.
The main reason was weight as I have a Thule carrier too (Also in case the battery came flying off ), due to the current weather here, it could be quite wet with salt/grit on the road surface also so I was trying to limit any chance of corrosion on the pins for the battery, would GT85 be ok for a spray or can that damage the battery once it connected and heats up?
20181214_094347.jpg
20181214_092402.jpg

So far I have changed the stem to a Joystick 50mm and Burgtec 800 bar, Deathgrips, E6000 switch, marsh guard, tubeless conversion and spare battery.
I think I will to the debonair 160 change for the forks soon too.

tc1

Dec 16, 2018
Surrey Hills
I'm considering a Spectral. I'm 5'11/180cm which puts me on a medium. The reach looks about right. Just curious if anyone has sized up ? The large has a 60mm stem so there's some scope to make that shorter and maybe still keep the front wheel weighted.

Last edited:

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
I'm considering a Spectral. I'm 5'11/180cm which puts me on a medium. The reach looks about right. Just curious if anyone has sized up ? The large has a 60mm stem so there's some scope to make that shorter and maybe still keep the front wheel weighted.

you’ll be reyt with either, i’m the same height as you, got the medium size it recommended and put a 35mm length stem on that ! Ive had no problems on any climbs, if you feel the front end getting light just hunch forward a bit.

Reactions: tc1

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles