Official Canyon EMTB Thread

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Good choice, Lyrik is great and the DT wheelset with the 350 hubs is better. I guess it will come with the 18T star ratchet but you can upgrade it to 36T any time.
Yes, Zee is i-spec B, I'd go with the HB clamp. There are some adapters but the HB clamp is slim and you can independently adjust it from the brake lever.
E6000 switch is 'plug and play' it's an easy swap.

Thanks. As per other post, I've gone for a different lever with i-spec b compatibility as I prefer to keep things simple.

Re the DT Swiss wheels, the e-mtb range ("Hybrid") come with a 24T ratchet specifically designed to cope with the extra forces of e-mtb. Whilst this may be hype(?) I believe that DT Swiss make some of the best hubs & rims on the market, and the wheels were a key reason I ordered the 'older' model even though a newer one is out.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thanks. As per other post, I've gone for a different lever with i-spec b compatibility as I prefer to keep things simple.

Re the DT Swiss wheels, the e-mtb range ("Hybrid") come with a 24T ratchet specifically designed to cope with the extra forces of e-mtb. Whilst this may be hype(?) I believe that DT Swiss make some of the best hubs & rims on the market, and the wheels were a key reason I ordered the 'older' model even though a newer one is out.

With the levers, I'm going through on different phases. I used to be all about simplicity and wanted everything on one clamp but now I prefer independent adjustability but who knows what will be tomorrow. :)

I didn't know about the different engagement on the DT H wheelsets but either way, the DT looks much better than the Alexrims on Deore hubs. The new Shimano hubs are not bad (although their freehub becomes noisy very quickly) but the Deore is definitely not DT 350 level.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Perfect, thanks. I've just been back through this thread and reviewed your photo's, very useful. Off the back of that I've ordered an i-spec b wolftooth lever (light action, so the longer version the same as yours).

As an aside, I ordered the bike at 9.44pm on Tuesday evening, and at 3:15pm today (Thursday) received confirmation that it's been shipped. So far so good.

Out of interest, has anyone changed the stem? I saw a review that said it was 60mm and might benefit from being shorter? My main trail bike (Transition Smuggler) is 457mm reach, the Canyon is 465mm (both size large), so I'm wondering if that 8mm would make much difference? Seems an easy swap to a 50mm stem, but would spending £60 on that small a change make much difference?

i swapped out the stem on mine for a hope 35mm as it felt too long for me, a lot more comfortable now but i prefer a more compact ride rather than a stretched out one.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Perfect, thanks. I've just been back through this thread and reviewed your photo's, very useful. Off the back of that I've ordered an i-spec b wolftooth lever (light action, so the longer version the same as yours).

As an aside, I ordered the bike at 9.44pm on Tuesday evening, and at 3:15pm today (Thursday) received confirmation that it's been shipped. So far so good.

Out of interest, has anyone changed the stem? I saw a review that said it was 60mm and might benefit from being shorter? My main trail bike (Transition Smuggler) is 457mm reach, the Canyon is 465mm (both size large), so I'm wondering if that 8mm would make much difference? Seems an easy swap to a 50mm stem, but would spending £60 on that small a change make much difference?

Swapped the stem for a 32mm RF Atlas stem. Doesn't feel short but I have moved the seat as far as it can go on the rails. Wolftooth lever is great. Owned a couple now. Easy swap over. Some reviews say the bolts are easy to chew up or damage but I stuck to the torque recommended and all fine.

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
Canyon did a good job, awesome value for the price. Perfect for touring, easier trail riding and for beginners who don't want longer travel bikes (or for me as the second ebike). Not the 'hottest' look but the external battery is a huge bonus if carrying a spare is a preference.
You say good for beginers and trails i’m smashing the same dh stuff as on my 170mm enduro bike inc

yes i’ve put a 50mm hope stem on and it made it more responsive and still good on the climbs.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
You say good for beginers and trails i’m smashing the same dh stuff as on my 170mm enduro bike inc

Personally, I don't like "smashing the same DH stuff" on my 130mm trail bike as much as on my enduro. I can ride everything with it, I just don't enjoy it that much ... that's why I have both. Short travel for long rides, enduro for smashing. :)

Jojo10

Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Hello

I changed from 60mm to 40mm on my L 7.0. Its more direct steering and more capable in downhills. But I did it together with an update from 150 to 160. I did non recognize any disadvantages on steep climbs. Nevertheless to get pressure onto the front wheel you have to ride actively and bend your arm and orient your position to the front. But that is not really different to the 60 stem.
Bye

Last edited:

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
Hello

I changed from 60mm to 40mm on my L 7.0. Its more direct steering and more capable in downhills. But I did it together with an update from 150 to 160. I did non recognize any disadvantages on steep climbs. Nevertheless to get pressure onto the front wheel you have to have ride actively and bend your arm and orient your position to the front. But that is not really different to the 60 stem.
Bye
I have a 160mm debonair airshaft on the way, looking forward to fitting it and testing it

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales

yes i’ve put a 50mm hope stem on and it made it more responsive and still good on the climbs.

Think @Tamas is referring to the 130mm travel Neuron which the review also say is more tuned to a relaxed ride whereas the Spectral suspension is tuned for more aggressive riding and trails. Agree though. My 7.0 handles way more than I'm capable of throwing at it. Quicker on every descent than I've ever been on my other bikes.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Think @Tamas is referring to the 130mm travel Neuron which the review also say is more tuned to a relaxed ride whereas the Spectral suspension is tuned for more aggressive riding and trails. Agree though. My 7.0 handles way more than I'm capable of throwing at it. Quicker on every descent than I've ever been on my other bikes.
Yes, I was talking about the Neuron all the way... :)

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Thanks all. Tempted to get a 45mm stem - anyone know a brand that does 45mm? Can't decide between 40mm and 50mm so thought I'd split the difference! And make life a little harder for myself :)

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Thanks all. Tempted to get a 45mm stem - anyone know a brand that does 45mm? Can't decide between 40mm and 50mm so thought I'd split the difference! And make life a little harder for myself :)

To me, shortening the reach with 20mm is a big difference especially if the bike if the proper size at the start.
I have 50mm on all my bikes it's the 'sweet spot' for me. I had 40mm on my enduro and the steering was a little bit nervous to my liking, on my trail bike the 60mm was too long and I found the 50mm the perfect balance. But of course, it's a personal preference.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
, it's a personal preference.

this.

once you're in the 55-35mm zone it's more about finetuning the sreeting handling than adjusting rider reach. 5mm does make a noticable difference to this. Whether you're the sort of rider who does notice it is a different matter.

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Thanks Gary. I’m after something black to keep with the stealth look, and your CRC link showed a Raceface respond which looked great, but it doesn’t come in a 35mm bar option. I tried Google and found a Ritchey one, but it was £90 odd I think. Interesting points re the difference between reach and bike handling. I’m trying to get the reach closer to my other bikes to make that the same, but I think they’ll all feel different in the ride between carbon hardtail, alloy full suss and heavy e-bike. Maybe I’ll just go with the 50mm, to get closer the the reach of my others, and if it feels weird put the 60 back on.

I’m always like this with new bikes, over-analysing shines bits, it’s part of the fun isn’t it?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Steering response and front wheel grip are both more important while you're riding in a standing position than seated. Or situation where you should be standing anyway.
Your body can barely notice a 5mm difference in reach while you're standing. But you are far more likely to notice the difference in steering response/front wheel grip/weight a 5mm difference in stem length has.

I can't stand 35mm bars.
I have a set on one bike and they offer nothing beneficial over 31.8 but mean buying mounts to share accessories between it and my other bikes is a nightmare.
I'd happily go back to 31.8 on it but it's £150+ worth of Raceface decentness

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
My bike is still riding great. Took it out again at the weekend and plan on going on a bit of a touring ride with my fiance who bought an ebike last week(diamond back with e8000 motor so I can steal the battery when she isn't with me) ?

It did start making a few crunching noises again, same ones that I had in the lakes after a long day on the bike. I'm wondering whether it's the chain struggling because it tends to be under torque that it sounds nasty. Degreasing, lubing and indexing fixed the issue last time. I've yet to try this time as I've been busy

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
this.

once you're in the 55-35mm zone it's more about finetuning the sreeting handling than adjusting rider reach. 5mm does make a noticable difference to this. Whether you're the sort of rider who does notice it is a different matter.

Sure, but between the two ends - going from 60 to 40 as it was discussed here - is not just finetuning the steering but a noticeable difference in reach... maybe not for everybody, but it's still something to consider.

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Your body can barely notice a 5mm difference in reach while you're standing. But you are far more likely to notice the difference in steering response/front wheel grip/weight a 5mm difference in stem length has.
I've checked my two bikes, both have 50mm stems, so I've ordered a 50mm. My Smuggler has a 457 reach; my Canyon will have 455. Looks good to me.

In other news, I ordered it last Tuesday and its being delivered this Tuesday, so 7 days from Germany to UK. My wife plans to wrap a bow around the box and get the kids to walk me out to the garage Christmas Day to get it. Then I can open the stem, switch, grips, dropper lever from items under the tree. One advantage of not being able to ride at the moment (injured) I guess.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Just got my bike back - long story short, visiting family 2+ hours away i took the bike with me, managed to crash the car while up there, insurance company transported the car back down to their accident centre close to me, so 3 weeks on i get the car back and finally go pick the bike up.
Quick blast down the lanes this morning, ive really missed it although the weathers getting filthy lately. Needs a good wash but that’s going to have to wait for another day.
8206D797-B4F6-4CED-AE63-D7DD55C95B4E.jpeg

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
My bike is still riding great. Took it out again at the weekend and plan on going on a bit of a touring ride with my fiance who bought an ebike last week(diamond back with e8000 motor so I can steal the battery when she isn't with me) ?

It did start making a few crunching noises again, same ones that I had in the lakes after a long day on the bike. I'm wondering whether it's the chain struggling because it tends to be under torque that it sounds nasty. Degreasing, lubing and indexing fixed the issue last time. I've yet to try this time as I've been busy

Degreased the chain, indexed and lubed and the noise is gone. I may buy a spare chain just incase it does snap at some point. It happened under high stress getting up a very steep bank

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
If anyone fancy’s an upgrade of shock the fox dpx2 factory 2018 fits lovely.
Out on a test ride tomorrow View attachment 8460
Does it make removing the battery out tricky? There's not much clearance between the battery and piggy back. Also does the shck stay in a perfect straight line all the way through the travel? If it angles downwards it might be an issue...

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
Looks lovely. What size is it? And where did you get it? Just curious, obviously :)
230x65 its actually off my yt jeffsy pro race so it now 160mm travel as the strokecis 5mm longer, i’ve only popped it on to try tomorrow but i must admit on the yt the shock is awesome. Maybe the tune will be wrong for the spectral

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Interesting. What is the standard shock size, where's this quoted? I'm struggling to find good data for the Canyon, which is frustrating. Transition offer fantastic support, for example for the Smuggler you can go here:
Transition Bikes
pick a year, view the frame manual and get everything from shock length, bearing numbers and torque specs. Is this on the Canyon site somewhere and I just haven't found it, or have I been spoilt?

Be good to hear how it rides, and I hope you don't damage anything in the process - I'm useless at calculating changes and would definitely break something if I tried anything 'different' to stock. I'm kinda unlucky like that...

And as a complete aside, I have read this article many times and still can't crack the 'now for the science' section:
Size matters: why we’re all riding bikes that are too small - MBR

Maybe I'll read it again when I am sober, make some measurements, look at my bikes various geometries, and all will become clear.......

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
Just as i thought it would it rides like a dream,i really thought the standard rockshox delux was very good but the dpx2 is in a different league, i can’t fault the fit and perormance. Looks like when i put this back on the yt jeffsy i’ll be buying a new dpx2

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles