Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I may try the mullet at sometime point. It would have to go to the steep headset cup and high bb. I do feel like you would lose some of the rear wheel roll over feel that I am enjoying at the moment, but it’s probably worth an experiment or two.

Not sure on the shock. It’s so good right now I will have to give it a think. I am most likely going to sell the SL and will miss the EXT. so who knows?

Just got an EXT for my Enduro. Bike rides absolutely perfect now. And now I’m selling it for this (face palm).

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Just got an EXT for my Enduro. Bike rides absolutely perfect now. And now I’m selling it for this (face palm).
I am sure this shock would be amazing on this bike. The new e-storia looks to address any of the items that I was still sorting out as well. Sigh... I am going to need to keep this bike a few years I think to justify everything. Stop making new, good bikes @Specialized Rider Care :)

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
ANYWAY... if you’re needing an extra few mm of insertion depth on your Kenevo SL you might try using a smaller diameter post with an adapter shim to potentially bypass the ream limit.

I just installed a OneUp 150mm on my S3.
Perfection.
The stock Dropper was close but not letting me get the seat out of the way enough.
With the OneUp I’m able to meet my descent position requirements and maintain the climbing (full extension) height that works for me.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Can the Kenevo SL be ridden with the main battery removed and with the extender in place? I'm trying to ascertain if I can take this bike on a plane.
Any post purchase regret from anyone?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Can the Kenevo SL be ridden with the main battery removed and with the extender in place? I'm trying to ascertain if I can take this bike on a plane.
Any post purchase regret from anyone?

should be the same as the SL - so yes.

No regrets yet. It’s a big bike (duh). So if your terrain is mellow, be realistic on what you are looking for. That’s probably an obvious statement

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I did some measuring and I can push the seat post in about 21mm further than I have it set currently with the stock 170mm manic. That would put me right between a 200-210 one up when considering the overall length. This is on the S4, and I am 6’1 with about a 33” inseam
How are you going weighting the front in turns? We are the same size and I'm considering sizing down to the S3 and running a 45 or 50mm stem. Bit of a risk but comparing the geo to my two current bikes (large Titan 40mm stem 12 degree backsweep bars and medium Phantom 40mm stem 8 degree bars) it's not a crazy change.
I had an XL Hightower and whilst it was fine for straight line bombing I found it cumbersome and tiring having to weight the front so much to get grip (same as the large Yeti).
I think the price of this one is making me analyze it to death!

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
How are you going weighting the front in turns? We are the same size and I'm considering sizing down to the S3 and running a 45 or 50mm stem. Bit of a risk but comparing the geo to my two current bikes (large Titan 40mm stem 12 degree backsweep bars and medium Phantom 40mm stem 8 degree bars) it's not a crazy change.
I had an XL Hightower and whilst it was fine for straight line bombing I found it cumbersome and tiring having to weight the front so much to get grip (same as the large Yeti).
I think the price of this one is making me analyze it to death!
It feels really balanced in turns. Ironically, the only time I washed out to date was in the parking lot when I was testing it out (oil spot on pavement). I was on an XL Levo SL before this (480mm w/45mm stem), and I have an XL paradox v3 (497mm reach w/35mm stem). The lower stack height on the KSL feels more spot on than the higher stack on the SL (which I was running even higher with a 170mm fork). The bike feels a bit more roomy, and I may go down to a 45 or 40mm stem to test out, but I could ride the bike as is and be fine with it.

Seated - I am digging the steeper seat tube angle. Feels better climbing than the SL, even around switchbacks. Granted, my SL has a slacked effective STA given the mods, but I believe this would hold true in stock form as well.

The only reason I would want an S3 is if I really did a lot of tight turns up and down or tight tech crawling. That's just me, but I have realized that my style is "go fast as possible down the trail" . Granted, that is not very fast still, but the KSL allows for whatever speed I can handle. :)

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Just a note about the Float X2 (performance) On my Expert.
Came stock with 0 volume reducers. I’m 96 kg and feel I need a bit more progression in the end of the stroke.
I added 2 bands and will test tomorrow.

It was close to perfect with 0 reducer bands, just trying to balance out the occasional big hit vs the more common riding experience.

If anyone is interested, I can report back after doing some bracket testing.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Came stock with 0 volume reducers. I’m 96 kg and feel I need a bit more progression in the end of the stroke.

It was close to perfect with 0 reducer bands, just trying to balance out the occasional big hit vs the more common riding experience.

Good note. I have added a bit of air on mine (at 220psi for my 80kg weight), but it does seem to use a bit more travel in the rear than front. It’s still really darn good though, but I am curious about the volume spacers.

would love to hear how you get on with the testing!

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Another note, I Ride Wrapped my Kenevo SL (full bike specific coverage)
Install was good. I took about 3 hours and kinda enjoyed the process.

It feels good to know the frame is covered in a protection.

Any questions, let me know.
6095BB7D-3BDD-4E5C-B914-A2CAFE0C08AA.jpeg

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Another note, I Ride Wrapped my Kenevo SL (full bike specific coverage)
Install was good. I took about 3 hours and kinda enjoyed the process.

It feels good to know the frame is covered in a protection.

Any questions, let me know.
View attachment 63717
I want to do that as well but am having too much fun riding the darn thing..

Did the process require you stripping down the bike to the bare frame ? I am loathe to disconnect the brakes and have to re bleed (lazy - I know )

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Did the process require you stripping down the bike to the bare frame ? I am loathe to disconnect the brakes and have to re bleed (lazy - I know )

No, I removed wheels, chain, derailleur, motor bash cover and bottle cage.
The rest was just making sure the frame was clean and my hands stayed clean.
I put bleed blocks in the callipers, just to be safe.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Funny story - so my pressure gauge that I use for my tires seems to be off. I compared to a friend's yesterday, and he was reading about 6 PSI higher than mine. So instead of what I thought was my typical ~21/23 PSI setup ( with cushcore XC), I had been closer to 27/30. Now, I am questioning whether I was ever running that low of pressure, or when my gauge broke. I let out some air at the top of our favorite DH, and proceed to have my fastest time ever. Suspension felt great, and I felt like my rebound was a tad fast (usually felt slow). I must have been pinging off of rocks and getting some weird hysteresis effect on fast bumps.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Just got my kenevo sl expert. I pulled the too short 150mm dropper to install my OneUp 180mm dropper. I can no figure out how to get the new cable housing installed. Has anyone done this yet?

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Just got my kenevo sl expert. I pulled the too short 150mm dropper to install my OneUp 180mm dropper. I can no figure out how to get the new cable housing installed. Has anyone done this yet?
Did you pull the housing out?
Or are you just reusing the stock one?
I reused the stock housing and put a new cable in with my OneUp dropper.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I just figured it out. You have to take out the cable port guide at the head tube so you can feed the housing at an angle into the down tube. If you don’t, the housing doesn’t go into the down tube. It goes straight into the top tube. In hindsight I should have used a housing barb and pulled the new housing through when I pulled the existing housing from the frame. I’m always a genius after the fact?.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA

I’m interested!

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I’m interested!
Have you set your fork and shock to Fox’s recommendations? According to Fox I should have 100-105 psi for my weight. That feels very stiff and I’m only using 60-70% of the travel. The shock is pretty close with Fox’s recommended settings.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Did you pull the housing out?
Or are you just reusing the stock one?
I reused the stock housing and put a new cable in with my OneUp dropper.
I did not reuse the stock housing. I’m able to fit a 210mm dropper switching to the OneUp. The stock dropper is at the minimum insertion and I still can’t get the seat as high as I need. For being 5’ 10”” I have a long inseam and wingspan so I always have to change seatposts and stem length to get a proper fit. It was the cheap Jagwire housing and cable. I always change the stock cables and housing for the good Shimano Teflon lined housing and coated cables. I find it makes a noticeable difference in shifting and dropper performance, as well as not needing to change cables as often.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Have you set your fork and shock to Fox’s recommendations? According to Fox I should have 100-105 psi for my weight. That feels very stiff and I’m only using 60-70% of the travel. The shock is pretty close with Fox’s recommended settings.
I noticed the same thing.
Fox recommend 115 psi but I’m down to 105 - 108 with a 3rd token (testing this weekend)
The Fork felt decent but I’d rather use a token and bring the compression down a little.
Sag is at 20% with 107psi

As for the shock, I started with fox recommendations but I also want to try a bit less low speed compression with these 2 bands. Psi is also a tad lower.
Sag is at 27%

Last edited:

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I noticed the same thing.
Fox recommend 115 psi but I’m down to 105 - 108 with a 3rd token (testing this weekend)
The Fork felt decent but I’d rather use a token and bring the compression down a little.
Sag is at 30% with 107psi

As for the shock, I started with fox recommendations but I also want to try a bit less slow speed compression with these 2 bands. Psi is also a tad lower.
Sag is at 27%
I’m at 25% sag at 103. I think I’m going to try sag at 30% which will probably be around 95 psi. If you watch any of the tuning videos with Jodie from Fox they recommend starting with sag at 15-20% on forks. I’d have to have Richie Rude speed for that to work, which unfortunately I don’t.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Been a bit tough to get out for some testing. I will report back after I do get time in on the new suspension settings.

In the meantime, has anyone tried a mixed wheel size on their Kenevo SL?

I’m going to setup my suspension with 29s but then try a 27.5 rear with the high and steep setup - to see how that feels.

The Specialized Geo setup guide talks about mixed wheel size, and I thought that it’s worth a try at least. ?

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I had my first run today. Started out with Fox’s recommended fork and shock settings. They did not work for me. Here is where I am at currently: The shock at 235 psi for 30% sag; rebound 10 out; compression fully open. For the fork, at 200lbs Fox recommends 100-105 psi. I ended up at 93psi with 1 volume spacer; high speed compression 4 out, low speed 8 out; high speed rebound 5 out, low 7 out. The Fox 38 and the rear linkage design are very good. I typically run a coil shock, but this is the first bike I’ve ridden in a long time that doesn’t feel like it will need a coil shock. The motor definitely has noticeably less power than my YT Decoy, but still enough. You just have to go uphill slower in a lower gear. For me, it is the perfect combination. I need the exercise at my age. The lighter weight is significant and much closer to the feel of a non-Ebike. Definitely easier to jump and throw around. If climbing as fast as possible is your thing I don’t think this is the bike for you. I like rougher downhill trails, moderate jumps (6-10’ doubles) and 4-5’ drops are in my comfort zone. I’ve done 12-15’ gaps but I need to work up to those on trails I’m able to do a lot of runs on. I’m 65 years old and come from a motocross background and ride with younger guys that are significantly faster than me when possible if that helps. I enjoy technical climbing, but don’t care how long it takes to get to the top. I get passed by younger and fitter riders on non-Ebikes all the time and it doesn’t bother me.

Snoman

Apr 13, 2021
British Columbia
You guys are all making me very and my Levo HT bery jealous. Waiting for my S2 to be received at the bike shop.

I read a post where the tester did setup in mullet ... but changed back to 29'er because the handling characteristics were not as good. Sorry, i can't find the link anymore.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles