Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
As the owner of a 2020 Kenevo modified with 29 wheels, a 2020 Enduro and 2021 SJ Evo the main advantage of the Enduro 6 bar link is for pedaling efficiency. In terms of how the bikes ride, they are very similar. I am actually faster descending on my Kenevo setup even though my Enduro has a 38/Ohlins TTX setup.

Here is my Kenevo setup with 29 wheels, 700 wHr battery, Fox X2 Factory/170 Lyrik etc. The only thing left stock is the frame/motor

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

Here is my Enduro Setup with a Fox 38/Ohlins build. Also have an X2 setup as well

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

My biggest hope is for a true 29 setup on the Kenevo, but other than that, IMO there is not much to improve. Honestly this bike rides so well with the 29 wheels that there is really no reason for me to upgrade to a new bike once it is released, although I will get it anyway.
I’m thinking of upgrading to fox 38 factory with 190mm travel and 29s on my kenevo. The only thing holding me back from that decision is the “creaking” issue I’ve read with the 38s.

Thoughts on this ?

Also, I’ve thought of going to Lyric Ultimate on 29s instead of the 38s.

Any advice/opinion on this decision.

BTW, I’ve got Boxxer Select 200mm on my kenevo now. I don’t know exactly why but I am not fond of the boxxer fork.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I’m thinking of upgrading to fox 38 factory with 190mm travel and 29s on my kenevo. The only thing holding me back from that decision is the “creaking” issue I’ve read with the 38s.

Thoughts on this ?

Also, I’ve thought of going to Lyric Ultimate on 29s instead.

Any advice/opinion on this decision.

BTW, I’ve got Boxxer Select 200mm on my kenevo now. I don’t know exactly why but I am not fond of the boxxer fork.
How about upgrading the internals of the Boxxer? Cheapest way of improving the front end

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
How about upgrading the internals of the Boxxer? Cheapest way of improving the front end
The boxxer has the charger damper and 200mm of travel. It performs well on the trail (has great small bump compliance ) but the boxxer creaks. Annoys the hell out of me. I have two Yari forks that don’t. I realize I’m riding my Yari forked bikes more because of the damn creaking on my boxxer equipt bike.

I don’t think it’s just the creaking. The boxxer feels heavier on the trail. My riding style doesn’t necessarily require a double crown fork.

Last edited:

STK

Apr 23, 2019
San Diego
Does anyone know the bearing size for the rear shock bike yoke? Creaking and play here and repacking didn’t work this time like 2000 miles ago so needs replacement. All others are smooth and no play.
ED6BA896-A037-46C1-97A5-F2760CA2CAD5.jpeg
ED6BA896-A037-46C1-97A5-F2760CA2CAD5.jpeg

5A57DD27-173B-44A2-B2B0-1DAED1B458B9.jpeg

Last edited:

STK

Apr 23, 2019
San Diego
Enduro MAX 6802 Sealed Cartridge Bearing?
Ordered a pair and will see if they fit.
Success. Bearings fit and it solved the problem. The old bearings felt smooth but there seemed to be wear on the inner race where it contacts the bolt and maybe some sideways play. With the rear shock off, the rest of the bearings seemed very smooth and no play. Pretty beefy setup and impressive for 5000+ miles. Dusty but dry So Cal conditions.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
This doesn’t sound right to me so hopefully will get your thoughts ;
A friend has a 2019 kenevo ex and the battery housing had broke on the bike where the plug attaches . He took it to a Surrey bs but had to wait to long for fix so then took it to a Berkshire bs where they said the bit can be fixed but try a connector off an old battery we have and see if that works .
So he cut something and swapped the connectors and all of a sudden the battery has no charge ( 60ish % before ) , so went back to bs and they say battery is dead BUT because you’ve open it up ( recommended by bs ) spesh won’t help with a discount on a new one so had to pay over £800 for a battery and wires .
How can this be right !

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
anyone know what headset i need to put a dh38 on a '19 kenevo? and do i need a crown race? it's a straight steer tube and the lyrik i'm taking off is tapered so I gotta pick up a new set of bearings with a reducer I'm guessing. thanks for any info.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
anyone know what headset i need to put a dh38 on a '19 kenevo? and do i need a crown race? it's a straight steer tube and the lyrik i'm taking off is tapered so I gotta pick up a new set of bearings with a reducer I'm guessing. thanks for any info.
E88EFFC9-4108-4F08-B22A-49172BF57E58.png

Bought this for my ‘19 Kenevo to fit my straight 1 1/8” steerer tube on my Boxxer fork.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Can anyone tell me how to remove the end caps of the Kenevo Comp 2019 front wheel hub? I've got the larger ones off just by pulling with pliers after wrapping in an old inner tube (the ones that ensure a nice fit into the fork). But the smaller ones in front of each of the bearings will not come out the same way - am I just not pulling hard enough? I've already damaged the surface trying. Any help would be most appreciated.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Put the axle into the cap by 15mm or to and gently lever. They will pop out. A socket on an extension will do the same. Ensure the disk isn't overlapping and holding them in.

MJR

May 12, 2020
USA
just got mine back with the Boxxer ultimate installed, in the end went for a hope pro4 hub and RaceFace ARC40 offset rim. Rode real nice on a quick shakedown today.
Boxxer1.jpg

Still haven't decided if I should swap the lowers for black ones :unsure:
IMG_8915.jpg

STK

Apr 23, 2019
San Diego
2019 Kenevo expert wouldn’t change modes (eco trail turbo) following wet ride and wash. Shop changed the power cable but when I picked it up the problem returned before I left the parking lot. LBS did firmware update and battery test which shows cells are ok and at 87% with almost 200 charge cycles. The battery boots up and shows 1 green light and no error codes. Seems like it’s either the thumb switch or TCU? It’s been a month so I need to investigate before riding the acoustic kills me? The shop doesn’t have that generation spare battery to rule out the thumb switch. Any ideas on what to suggest? Thanks

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
2019 Kenevo expert wouldn’t change modes (eco trail turbo) following wet ride and wash. Shop changed the power cable but when I picked it up the problem returned before I left the parking lot. LBS did firmware update and battery test which shows cells are ok and at 87% with almost 200 charge cycles. The battery boots up and shows 1 green light and no error codes. Seems like it’s either the thumb switch or TCU? It’s been a month so I need to investigate before riding the acoustic kills me? The shop doesn’t have that generation spare battery to rule out the thumb switch. Any ideas on what to suggest? Thanks
Check the connectors on the remote thumb switch cable are clean and dry. Also check the main battery/cable connector is clean & dry. If it's neither of these things and the +/- buttons on the battery itself still operate the mode then it's almost certainly the remote thumb switch. So get a new thumb switch.

Reactions: STK

STK

Apr 23, 2019
San Diego
Check the connectors on the remote thumb switch cable are clean and dry. Also check the main battery/cable connector is clean & dry. If it's neither of these things and the +/- buttons on the battery itself still operate the mode then it's almost certainly the remote thumb switch. So get a new thumb switch.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Good times!
Yup .. I was re-reading the entire thread :) All seems so long ago :) :)

Found some 63mm DVO springs quite cheaply - €18 !

EDIT ! Well - they don't fit !! :)

knobs.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CjP

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahaha doesn’t it. Im glad you listened to me, I feel like you owe me a beer or two. Imagine you bought another bike, you’d be one of “those” guys. Needing to bag out on Speccy to justify your incorrect purchase.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hahaha doesn’t it. Im glad you listened to me, I feel like you owe me a beer or two. Imagine you bought another bike, you’d be one of “those” guys. Needing to bag out on Speccy to justify your incorrect purchase.
You're not wrong !! :)

I do love it ... I keep thinking of buying something else .. almost did the other night .. but I'm still not sure anything is any better. Most things are just copies .. even specialized have copied it with the new levo :)

Still have my range issues .. funny reading your range comments and the other guys earlier in the the thread .. I did a 50k ride yesterday and had to do it half motor on and half motor on and it was just a bumbly ride of road and track .. oh well .. it's like having a modern small battery bike but well ahead of time ! Trend setting !! :)

• Haha

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I told you years ago to sort that out!
I did see you hovering over that Forrestal button. Big risk to take on a new bike but as long as they have a good warranty program that you have access to why not.
I’ve done some great riding the last few days. Two Kenevo’s, an Ohlins ?cladded Ep8 Commie and a Bosch Focus. While they owned me on the steep turbo blasts, on the less steep gradients there was nothing in it. Smashed them all on range though.

My new SL is going to slay!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I told you years ago to sort that out!
Trust me, I've tried .. but trying to prove it is easier said than done .. if it gets any worse I'm going to sell the battery and make a up a titanium frame to hold a bb. Mock up a fake battery and stick the plastic motor covers back on and hopefully I'll just have a heavy mountain bike .. but it should be 19-20kg's and you SL boys all say this is like pedalling a normal bike ! So away I go ! Can't be any worse than all the time I spend pedalling a flat FF bike. Will just be like a long travel stump jumper with some of the stump dragging along with it.

Was so peed off with it after a ride the other day I almost bought the Ohlins Ducati, but the price jumped up once I went to pay .. ?!?! and principle kicked in ! I have a Forestal waiting to click buy ..... but it's very much an unknown and the information so far doesn't really give you clarity/certainty on range/performance. As a bike to ride though I can't help but think it's probably outstanding. I think they should send me one to test. All these companies make the huge mistake I always used to see when involved in testing and development. They get professionals to test things. It's only when you put these things in the hands of idiots do you find the real issues and problems that you'd never have considered.

I think the new KSL will be the dogs nads and your perfect bike. Maybe mine too. I think it's just going to be exactly what we expect. Nothing ground breaking, so there will be lots of toys thrown out of prams that it doesn't have rear wheel steer, 4 leg forks, dynamic shape shifting frame, 24" wheels . Just a 19/20kg really cool bike with the SL motor - possibly with some firmware smoothing and maybe a slightly larger battery - but unlikely with all the extra development costs for a niche market bike. I guess we'll know in three weeks. I plan to have a forum week off so I don't have to listen to the complaints :oops: :ROFLMAO:

That Ohlins Commie does look nice too .. I did have a quick look at that but I fancied a Medium and they didn't have any.

It's tricky .. as when it comes down to it .. I really like mine ... and will I like anything else that much ?!?

PRIME TIME :cool:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Trust me, I've tried .. but trying to prove it is easier said than done .. if it gets any worse I'm going to sell the battery and make a up a titanium frame to hold a bb. Mock up a fake battery and stick the plastic motor covers back on and hopefully I'll just have a heavy mountain bike .. but it should be 19-20kg's and you SL boys all say this is like pedalling a normal bike ! So away I go ! Can't be any worse than all the time I spend pedalling a flat FF bike. Will just be like a long travel stump jumper with some of the stump dragging along with it.

Was so peed off with it after a ride the other day I almost bought the Ohlins Ducati, but the price jumped up once I went to pay .. ?!?! and principle kicked in ! I have a Forestal waiting to click buy ..... but it's very much an unknown and the information so far doesn't really give you clarity/certainty on range/performance. As a bike to ride though I can't help but think it's probably outstanding. I think they should send me one to test. All these companies make the huge mistake I always used to see when involved in testing and development. They get professionals to test things. It's only when you put these things in the hands of idiots do you find the real issues and problems that you'd never have considered.

I think the new KSL will be the dogs nads and your perfect bike. Maybe mine too. I think it's just going to be exactly what we expect. Nothing ground breaking, so there will be lots of toys thrown out of prams that it doesn't have rear wheel steer, 4 leg forks, dynamic shape shifting frame, 24" wheels . Just a 19/20kg really cool bike with the SL motor - possibly with some firmware smoothing and maybe a slightly larger battery - but unlikely with all the extra development costs for a niche market bike. I guess we'll know in three weeks. I plan to have a forum week off so I don't have to listen to the complaints :oops: :ROFLMAO:

That Ohlins Commie does look nice too .. I did have a quick look at that but I fancied a Medium and they didn't have any.

It's tricky .. as when it comes down to it .. I really like mine ... and will I like anything else that much ?!?

PRIME TIME :cool:
PRIME TIME!, I am so pumped!

My current SLduro has been such a beast the last two weeks at Tassie. It smashed everything I threw at it and not a single issue, not bad for a hack job. The proper version will surely be next level, otherwise I think I should be on the design/test team at HQ.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well my 450 "cheapo" spring arrived ! :)

knobs.jpg

Looks like I need to buy a new bike to make it fit :) And a forklift to fit it - it weighs a tonne !

As this is an experiment and I don't want to just end up with boxes of springs I'll never use .. does anyone know where you can get cheap 450ish springs which will fit ? Even better, lovely little titanium ones ! :)

Oh and if anyone wants a nice new DVO 450 63mm spring for postage, let me know.

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
anybody find an app or a chip/device that works to unlock the speed on a '19 kenevo? From what I understand, blevo doesn't work anymore, and e-genesis used to work, but since I got my replacement motor it says the bike is incompatible. My new motor is set to like 14 mph and it's killing me! any suggestions? the levociraptor only works on 2020 or newer kenevos.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Blevo should work fine on a 2018/2019 Kenevo with a 1.2 or 1.3 motor. It just adjusts the wheel size. Surprised e-genesis has stopped working.

If Blevo won't do it, you could probably goto one of the planetary gear mods on the rear axle.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles