Of ALL the new bikes announced, which are on your short list?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Did you ever work put a way to stop them catching ( eg adjusting length?) . I've been considering a genius for my daughter but those cables put me off
You can't really adjust the length too much or you have shifting issues going through the suspension travel. And I do use ALL the travel available at least a couple times in a ride. Put a zip tie around them to keep them together which did seem to help. Really, was just a poor layout on the 2015 Genius. I think they made some minor changes but not too sure.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Is that a production model? :oops:
Yes, because they have tilted the front of the motor upwards they exit more towards the ground rather than parallel to the chainstays. Great looking bike otherwise, but that does not look the best from a durability point of view.

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
Propain E Kano looks nice...6200€ gets you full fox factory and sram axs ? but Shimano motor is getting dated.
Rotwild range...Brose is the best motor in the business,I think...smooth, not noisy, powerful. But they are pricy...

If YT or commencal would run a Brose motor...I’m buying tomorrow...

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Yes, because they have tilted the front of the motor upwards they exit more towards the ground rather than parallel to the chainstays. Great looking bike otherwise, but that does not look the best from a durability point of view.

Really poor design then, don't think they'd last too long where I often ride.

As you said, great looking bike otherwise.

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
Propain E Kano looks nice...6200€ gets you full fox factory and sram axs ? but Shimano motor is getting dated.
Rotwild range...Brose is the best motor in the business,I think...smooth, not noisy, powerful. But they are pricy...

If YT or commencal would run a Brose motor...I’m buying tomorrow...

...agree on the YT running the Brose...

Ace

ninjichor

Apr 10, 2019
Southern California
Kona Remote 160

Basically looking for an emtb that handles like a top tier enduro bike, but rather than full of high end componentry that trades value for low weight, it's built for durability, capability, and versatility, using the motor to offset the weight/inertia and draggy seals and grippy tires. Just waiting for perfection before shelling out the money... willing to accept some compromise if it were discounted though.

Whyte's design interests me, with their effort to get weight low and central. Norco Range VLT also interests me. Was interested in Rocky's Altitude Powerplay and Canyon's Spectral: ON. These things just aren't available to me in US at appealing prices. Rather consider something like the Fezzari Wire Peak, but the Remote 160 is more appealing overall. Looking forward to the Kenovo refresh, and also how the Shimano EP8 system improves integration and quality of life stuff.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
but Shimano motor is getting dated.
You know the e8000 is only a couple years old?
Brose is the best motor in the business,I think...smooth, not noisy, powerful. But they are pricy...
Maybe - maybe not. I have to use Trail and Turbo a lot more with my Levo (Brose) than I do with my Scott (Shimano) and the Brose has the default settings where I have dialed back power on the Shimano.
Yup the Brose is a little quieter but the only reason I bought the Spesh was the 700Wh battery option and that it is integrated and not clip-in.

I would want to see the Brose a lot more reliable before I would buy anything other than Spesh purely for warranty issues. And dammit, buying Spesh just plain goes against any common sense I have due to crap value for money.

WarrenB

May 24, 2019
Saint Paul, MN USA
In short: none of them.

I agonized over my emtb purchase for months before deciding on the Rocky Mountain Altitude earlier this year. I originally ordered the YT Decoy but later cancelled my purchase.

I bought the bike before a lot of the 2020s were released and was a bit apprehensive that something might come along to make me regret it. So far I’m feeling 100% content with my purchase. A lot of the new bikes look great but I just don’t think any of the other motors’ power application feels near as controllable as does the Dyname. That is a big factor for me. I almost died on the levo from motor overrun and I think it’s one of the best alternatives. The Rocky feels like it assists you, others feel like you are just turning them on/off. Granted I don’t have alot of time on other motors but I feel pretty confident in this assessment. I will say the Brose/Shimano motors do work better in some challenging climbing situations as your cadence doesn’t seem to affect the power delivery as much, effectively smoothing out rider input.

The other consideration to me is the shorter, more nimble geometry of the Rocky. This is the easiest mtb to manual that I’ve had. I like a playful riding style with hops, manuals, jumps coming from a background in bmx so this suits me well. It’s fair to mention that I don’t do a lot of steep climbing or long rough descending which could definitely affect my geo preferences. I ride mostly flow trail or smoother single track and it serves those well. I don’t think I would get on very well with the weight of the bike if it came with the long chainstays as many do.

In other words I just haven’t seen anything other than refinements of existing tech for 2020. No big improvements in the bits that actually define an ebike, the motors and the batteries.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I’ve just ordered my first emtb a meta 27sx for mid November delivery ?it was one of the first bikes that caught my eye with the whyte e180, I said to myself I’d have the latest motor tech but really wanted Rockshox suspension with Lyrik,motor aside The only spec I would of wanted would have been 1700 dt Swiss rather than 1900’s fitted but buzzing!waiting game now??

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
The bike I am most excited to try, is also the one I didn't think I would have nay interest in, and that the new Trek Rail - aside from the geometry and the weight, I think they have put so many neat little touches and real thought into the ownership experience of the bike. Never been a Trek fan so I have surprised myself with how much I like the look of it.

I have had a quick ride on the Whyte 150RS, and cant wait to ride it some more, but was disappointed that the battery isn't really designed to be regularly removed.

The Trek Rail looks pretty good; I might give that one a test ride if I can get past the stench of that Lance Armstrong business.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles