Of ALL the new bikes announced, which are on your short list?

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Ohhh this is soooo hard. There are so many great looking bikes being released.

But unfortunately none of them are really perfect. (Never think there will be a 100% perfect bike though)

They are mostly all missing 2 major ingredients in my opinion that gives me pause and still makes me think I made the right choice with the 2020 Levo with the 700Wh:

1. Too little torque, especially for heavier guys like me. Brose is 90Nm( According to specialized their software actually brings their implementation slightly over 100Nm...) TQ is 120Nm and the very interesting new Sachs is 112Nm, none of these are used in almost any of the newly announced bikes... (Minus with TQ and partially Sasch seems to be noise and some heat, TQ also a bit weighty, at least in Haibik impelemtnation so even those two have some way to go)

2. Low battery capacity, all come either with the older around 500 or the newer 6oo ish batteries. Larger is better, for us heavyweights I would even have preferred higher towards the 1000Wh / 1KWh mark, especially if the TQ or Sachs motor was used. the exception seems to be the M1- Spitzing as far as I can see, but that seems to be more of a city SUV poser than a REAL trail or enduro bike from the looks of it.
All of this being said, and disregarding the motor / battery side my 2020 newcomer list would be looking like this in no particular order:
  • Orbea Wild
  • The new Merida E-160
  • Canondale Moterra SE (That nice green / blue shimmering from eurobike)
  • The Bulls E-rush evo AM2 with the Sachs motor
  • KTM range
  • Husqvarna range
  • TREK rail
  • The Whytes
  • What the 2020 version of probably by far the best value emtb for the last two years will look like, the Vitus E-somet
  • Also waiting in suspense for the new Kenevo and also what YT might do for rework for Decoy for 2020.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The bike I am most excited to try, is also the one I didn't think I would have nay interest in, and that the new Trek Rail - aside from the geometry and the weight, I think they have put so many neat little touches and real thought into the ownership experience of the bike. Never been a Trek fan so I have surprised myself with how much I like the look of it.

I have had a quick ride on the Whyte 150RS, and cant wait to ride it some more, but was disappointed that the battery isn't really designed to be regularly removed.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
The bike I am most excited to try, is also the one I didn't think I would have nay interest in, and that the new Trek Rail - aside from the geometry and the weight, I think they have put so many neat little touches and real thought into the ownership experience of the bike. Never been a Trek fan so I have surprised myself with how much I like the look of it.

I have had a quick ride on the Whyte 150RS, and cant wait to ride it some more, but was disappointed that the battery isn't really designed to be regularly removed.
Yep, just the big TV display Purion. Looks like light compared to Cannondale, Rail 9.7 is lighter right? The Montero SE is like 52.5 pounds or maybe more, Rail maybe 48.8 lbs. ???

Zoot Allures

Sep 17, 2019
West Wales
Lots of great new bikes launched, but Orbea Wild FS stands out for me at the moment (minus the reported knocking sound from the Bosch Gen4).
Interested to see the new Kenevo when it drops too

Quite a few of the 2020 bikes I'd be interested in are sticking with e8000 and around 500wh which is essentially what I've already got with my nearly 2 year old Meta Power. Appreciate there's a lot more to a good bike than the motor, but would like to have larger batt capacity on my next one and if rumours are to be believed e8000 due to be replaced by the new e9000/EP8 motor in the fairly near future.

Probably have changed my mind again by tomorrow though … ?

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Lots of great new bikes launched, but Orbea Wild FS stands out for me at the moment (minus the reported knocking sound from the Bosch Gen4).
Interested to see the new Kenevo when it drops too

Quite a few of the 2020 bikes I'd be interested in are sticking with e8000 and around 500wh which is essentially what I've already got with my nearly 2 year old Meta Power. Appreciate there's a lot more to a good bike than the motor, but would like to have larger batt capacity on my next one and if rumours are to be believed e8000 due to be replaced by the new e9000/EP8 motor in the fairly near future.

Probably have changed my mind again by tomorrow though … ?
Wonder if they are keeping that knocking sound from the new Bosch under raps?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I’ve now sold my analog bike and have funds just waiting for my first emtb,just waiting to see what canyon bring out though there discounts on the spectral on8.0 is tempting,they’ve just discounted it again,I was all set on a whyte but my list is now
Yt decoy cf pro (wish they’d used Rockshox on this model)
Canyon spectral on /torque on maybe?
Meta power 27sx
Cube stereo 160 tm
Levo comp

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
I’ve now sold my analog bike and have funds just waiting for my first emtb,just waiting to see what canyon bring out though there discounts on the spectral on8.0 is tempting,they’ve just discounted it again,I was all set on a whyte but my list is now
Meta power 27sx
Cube stereo 160 tm
Levo comp
Why does new Bosh motor still have old controls on handlebars as big as a 4k TV display? The Levo has it right with minimal controls, once I put it in Turbo, it stays there. Just need battery level indicator and very small setting switch on frame. Bosch should copy the levo and just have a very small stick on frame display.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Why does new Bosh motor still have old controls on handlebars as big as a 4k TV display? The Levo has it right with minimal controls, once I put it in Turbo, it stays there. Just need battery level indicator and very small setting switch on frame. Bosch should copy the levo and just have a very small stick on frame display.
Agree me being new to all this and if I didn’t do any research etc looking at the systems I would say Shimano is the newest,specialized is the most integrated and user friendly and Bosch is an old system from years past?

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa

I concur! I don't want everyone knowing I'm riding an E bike! Even the display on the Shimano is too much, imo.

Ace

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
I concur! I don't want everyone knowing I'm riding an E bike! Even the display on the Shimano is too much, imo.

Ace
Yep, on the Levo it’s so low key on the frame, set it and forget it. Having that big control box on the handlebars is like way outdated already. Bosch just has to make it like that because other bikes can all make their frames to accommodate it, but a simple small controller mounted on the frame would work. Don’t need too many bells and whistles.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Not sure about the new Orbea, relatively short reach and long chainstays, what’s that about!

Liking the new Commencal, they look amazing. I’ll run my 2019 external battery eBike into the ground, nothing has come out that’s really going to improve my ride. but the ascetics have improved a lot.

A little disappointed in the new Bosh motor, noisy and cumbersome controls.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Ace
You can run the Shimano without a display, using the EW-EN100 bluetooth module which replaces the display, I have it on both my bikes

EW-EN100

IMG_6379.jpeg

IMG_6380.jpeg

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
Not sure about the new Orbea, relatively short reach and long chainstays, what’s that about!

Liking the new Commencal, they look amazing. I’ll run my 2019 external battery eBike into the ground, nothing has come out that’s really going to improve my ride. but the ascetics have improved a lot.

A little disappointed in the new Bosh motor, noisy and cumbersome controls.

...my 2 cents is that a chainstay of around 450 mm SEEMS like its in the sweet spot to be playful YET still climb...what are you thinking is the ideal size?

Ace

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
Meta power 27sx
Cube stereo 160 tm
Levo comp
Selling my 2019 Expert Levo Large mate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles