Cornwall uk
Product Image:
5D2C5729-BDD9-4B6C-9692-C711B95D428A.png

CCE6898C-EF7F-4BE1-A876-05C866B6FF40.png

6FA68600-F066-4E83-AE4F-DF3648F59E58.png

Product name: Nukeproof horizon pedals
Price paid: 64
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: Got me a set of these recently , if you like shimano spd pedals then these will please you more than ever. Best spd pedal I have used in about 20 years of using this system .
Read the reviews , then add a bit more .
Iam still using my shimano cleats ,they work perfectly , although they come with new cleats , it doesn’t matter if you don’t get clipped in on a tough section you still have good control , clipping in is so easy and unclipping easier than ever , yet the positive feel is so solid . Iam running them very loose . They shed mud better , weigh less , lower profile , had to lower my seat not one negative comment so far compared to the excellent shimano pedals I have been using for years , if they last as well as the shimano pedals then I’ll be a very happy chap
There’s also a wider version that’s more downhill or enduro
Iam really surprised shimano have never updated thier pedals to this standard, when you see what’s been changed to make the difference Iam sure shimano could have easily developed thier pedal to work even better .

I’ve posted pics of the shimano pedals I considered the best before the nukeproofs below for comparison
The 647 were the better off road pedal , shed mud better but heavier and more expensive , they also creak in the dry which is annoying if used on a bike you do miles on
The 424 are great value last forever lighter than the 647 but not quite as good off road with a smaller platform , I would recommend to anyone on a budget or wanting to try spd for the first time .
Don’t be put off by the plastic cages I’ve never broken one or seen one one break yet .

5D2C5729-BDD9-4B6C-9692-C711B95D428A.png
CCE6898C-EF7F-4BE1-A876-05C866B6FF40.png
6FA68600-F066-4E83-AE4F-DF3648F59E58.png

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
I used to have Shimano half and half a long long long time ago and then went to full on SPD. To be honest, when I am doing a local ride around here with the club, there is a lot of stopping and starting which can be a pain for clipping in and out, but you just get on with it.
My biggest gripe is when you start a single track and you can't get clipped in, it completely upsets / messes up the section. With these I could imagine it would make life a little bit easier over full SPD, as you dont have to worry as much about being clipped in or not and when the SPDs start to wear out, I will have a think about going for something like this.
Have you tried these with overshoes?
Just wondering if the sole of the overshoe catches the flat pedal?
Thanks for the review (y)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have the DH version of the Nukeproof CL pedals and they are great. Massive platform so it doesn't matter too much if you can't get clipped in right away. I run them as loose as they go and I've never had a problem with unclipping inadvertently.

A word of warning; the Nukeproof branded end cap locks the bearings in place and can come loose so keep an eye on them.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I used to have Shimano half and half a long long long time ago and then went to full on SPD. To be honest, when I am doing a local ride around here with the club, there is a lot of stopping and starting which can be a pain for clipping in and out, but you just get on with it.
My biggest gripe is when you start a single track and you can't get clipped in, it completely upsets / messes up the section. With these I could imagine it would make life a little bit easier over full SPD, as you dont have to worry as much about being clipped in or not and when the SPDs start to wear out, I will have a think about going for something like this.
Have you tried these with overshoes?
Just wondering if the sole of the overshoe catches the flat pedal?
Thanks for the review (y)
I think the overshoe May well get chewed up more by these pedals , they have such a short life off road I try to only use them when really needed .
The problems you describe sound like your pedals are adjusted too tight on the cleats , let the tension right off . The nukeproof pedals certainly clip in much easier , they clip in back first as well as the usual front first .

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I have the DH version of the Nukeproof CL pedals and they are great. Massive platform so it doesn't matter too much if you can't get clipped in right away. I run them as loose as they go and I've never had a problem with unclipping inadvertently.

A word of warning; the Nukeproof branded end cap locks the bearings in place and can come loose so keep an eye on them.
Thanks for that heads up I’ll check the caps , I couldn’t decide between the wider or narrower , my mate has the wider pedals so I did get to try them , I have size 8 feet and he has size 11 , I think any bigger than a 9 and I would advise the downhill anyway . And as you say they are even better if you don’t get clipped in

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Size 8? That’s like feet, only smaller.
I’ve got size 11 feet and the bigger the pedal the better.
I may have to go back to my old Shimano DX pedals for this weekend. The thread where the end cap goes in is damaged and I’m waiting to hear back from Nukeproof on the thread pitch.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Size 8? That’s like feet, only smaller.
I’ve got size 11 feet and the bigger the pedal the better.
I may have to go back to my old Shimano DX pedals for this weekend. The thread where the end cap goes in is damaged and I’m waiting to hear back from Nukeproof on the thread pitch.
Will be a common metric thread for sure , any engineer should be able to sort that out easily , or just find a bolt to match the thread on the cap and use that to clean thread up .

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's M14 x either 1 or 1.25, so not a common thread. I'm hoping it's 1.25 as they are fairly easily available.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It's M14 x either 1 or 1.25, so not a common thread. I'm hoping it's 1.25 as they are fairly easily available.
That is a common thread , you will find a tap for about £8 on eBay , m14 x 1.5 is a spark plug size I think ,so an engineer would have a tap , which is probably your best bet if your unsure about using a tap .

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Err, I'm an engineer, I think I can use a tap... ;)

M14 x 1.5 is the common one, 1.25 is fine and 1 is superfine, neither are even listed in my Zeus book...

I've seen 1.25 on eBay, but I don't have a shadowgraph where I'm currently working so I can't accurately measure it. I'll have to use my digital spanner (vernier/verynear) and hope it's accurate enough, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. :(

Reactions: Dax

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Err, I'm an engineer, I think I can use a tap... ;)

M14 x 1.5 is the common one, 1.25 is fine and 1 is superfine, neither are even listed in my Zeus book...

I've seen 1.25 on eBay, but I don't have a shadowgraph where I'm currently working so I can't accurately measure it. I'll have to use my digital spanner (vernier/verynear) and hope it's accurate enough, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. :(
I’ll pop my cap out and measure the thread today , stand by

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Thanks for that, now the hunt for a tap begins.

I might just buy another pair of pedals, it’d probably be less hassle.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That was easier than I thought; plenty to choose from, ranging in price from £6 to £60. The cheapest in the UK were £7.48 delivered.

I’ll be back on the Shimano pedals tomorrow though.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That was easier than I thought; plenty to choose from, ranging in price from £6 to £60. The cheapest in the UK were £7.48 delivered.

I’ll be back on the Shimano pedals tomorrow though.

eBay and the internet is great
I can remember wasting hours with yellow pages and phone calls not many years ago with problems like this
Hope it sorts it out
I wonder if you can buy a new pedal body ?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Another heads up with these pedals , check the 4 little torx screws that hold the actual cleat mechanism Down , all three sets of ours were loose and one screw had fallen out on the oldest set . Removing and lock titing is the best bet I think .

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
We’ll update on these after a few months hammering on winter trails .tgey are the best spd pedals I have used for ease of use however
I’ve just serviced my daughters bike which gets a lot use , I’ve kept an eye on the loosening screws which seem to be ok after initial settling in , theres play in the rh pedal which has caused the seal to slide out of place , I stripped the pedal but can’t really seem to find a way to reduce the play , it’s seems a shim under the end cap would be the only way . The wear rate on the metal body and mechanism seems quite high compared to shimano . I can’t them lasting like shimano do .
I wonder what the new saint spd are like ?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Well I’ve just answered my own question above and bought a set of the new saint spd pedals when I saw them on offer .
Only one ride so far and I really liked them , I was expecting them to feel like all other shimano spd pedals which isn’t a bad thing , but these feel more positive , easier to clip in in a hurry than the nukeproof and more positive in their release . The shimano quality is evident and reassuring , they are a bit heavier than the nukeproof , not a big issue but perhaps the nukeproof was a little too light hence my quality concerns .
They also came with 2 different sets of pin spacers so the height can be easily adjusted to suit .

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have saints brilliant pedals matched with shimano shoes they are unbeatable for spd's

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Hi Kernow - any further thoughts on the Saints vs Nukeproofs now you've had a few weeks on them? Moving back to flats after 2 years on SPDs was part of the reason for my big off (although mainly stupidity). So retail therapy time and I want a pedal with a bigger platform than my XT trails.

Was looking at the Horizons but build quality doesn't sound that great, same with CB Mallet. I'm not not sure the extra mud shedding and whatnot is worth the trade off for shimano bomb proof reliability, I've always found them utterly fit and forget

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Iam really liking the saints so far , they got a good bashing at the weekend and nothing broke , they are even more supportive and more positive when clicking in and out than the nukeproof , I find I can set off on a difficult section and know I will clip in as soon as my foot hits the pedal , I was finding this more difficult with the nukeproof . The build quality certainly is better . Shimano seemed to have upped their game to another level with the saint spd . They were always good but I think they saw the competition creeping up .
The platform is bigger than the smaller nukeproof pedal I had , but smaller than the large nukeproof . The shimano are heavier , but I think trying to be light doesn’t help the nukeproofs

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have saints i really like them easy in easy out. I am trying flats but so far not convinced

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Anyone with the shimano XTR M9020?
Need to decide on which clipless to buy for the new Levo

I tried the similar but cheaper pedal to the xtr but the cage had no grip and offered little advantage over the normal no body pedals

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Thanks for the review of the saints, I was looking at them the other day. So far I've not it on with the various big cage spds that I've tried, none have offered much grip when unclipped but you get more pedal strikes than with the little ones.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
@Kernow thanks, your favorite right now are the Saints clipless right?

Yes for sure I’ve tried most of them over the years and the saints are the best yet seconded by the nukeproof
I dunno what shimano have done to make the Saint work better than their other pedals but it works
I think it’s could be just a really good platform that made the difference
I’ve just ridden the blade trail at Afan lots of rocky steps etc and clipping in at a moments notice on a short run in is just so easy

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
Yes for sure I’ve tried most of them over the years and the saints are the best yet seconded by the nukeproof
I dunno what shimano have done to make the Saint work better than their other pedals but it works
I think it’s could be just a really good platform that made the difference
I’ve just ridden the blade trail at Afan lots of rocky steps etc and clipping in at a moments notice on a short run in is just so easy
I was thinking on the nukeproof, but also think the saint are a better option for my new Levo

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles