Now my Levo will not switch on until I unplug and then reconnect the battery

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
About a month ago , for no apparent reason my 2019 Levo wouldn't switch on if I didn't ride it for more than a couple of days - I worked out unplugging and then reconnecting the battery solves the problem, but why is this happening and has it happened to anyone else too ?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
About a month ago , for no apparent reason my 2019 Levo wouldn't switch on if I didn't ride it for more than a couple of days - I worked out unplugging and then reconnecting the battery solves the problem, but why is this happening and has it happened to anyone else too ?
Based on previous feedback from Levo owners it is very likely your cable between motor and battery gone to haywire.

Karsten

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
As well as trying contact spray, leave it unplugged - may be condensation. If that works why worry? It may be worth getting one of the new cables (my LBS got one for me just by asking) and keeping the existing one as a spare.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Based on previous feedback from Levo owners it is very likely your cable between motor and battery gone to haywire.

Karsten

Thanks Karsten - I am hoping it is something physical and reasonably simple, rather than a software problem, as that should be much easier to fix

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Then it might be cable between motor and battery as Karsten wrote

Most likely your power cable. Get it replaced, or if you have the skills take it out and check for cracks and leave on radiator.

Otherwise may be the tcu. Take it out with torx key and leave on radiator.

tvandall

Mar 24, 2020
Victoria, BC, Canada
My experience with faults were all related to moisture. But always check you have latest firmware loaded as well. Make sure top tube is dry inside under the TCU. Examine TCU for moisture or water stains. When washing or riding in the rain it is relatively easy to get water on this part inside the tube. Not well protected. Exercise caution when washing to prevent this. Also seal TCU housing with black electrical tape as recommended by Berkshire Cycles (YouTube Videos with Rob, extra moisture protection). TCU should have been IP67 rated. Go to LBS test with another TCU which might eliminate the fault.

Berkshire does not recommend any spays on electrical contacts as they state signal voltages are so low this can interfere with proper signals. I tend to agree. Always keep battery plugged in to motor when bike is wet from riding or washing. O rigs typically keep the moisture out. Let bike fully DRY before opening to charge. Can expedite drying with compressed air or a leaf blower if you have one. I routinely dry my bike after a wash with a leaf blower. If needed clean electrical contacts very gently with q tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Also check O rings on plug are they damaged (if so replace). Also check charging plug contacts for dirt or moisture and keep very clean. Alcohol will remove any dirt and small droplets of moisture if present. Let dry or carefully expedite drying with heat gun at a distance on low. Use your common sense. If you still have fault like the others suggested you may need a replacement battery/motor cable. Regardless these protocols have eliminated my electrical faults so far and may be of value to some.

Note LBS can test bike with a new cable and TCU which may eliminate the faults. Remember to keep charging plug end dry and clean as well.

Anybody else have other suggestions or experience they can relate

Good Luck

Tom

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Thanks Tom - that is a most comprehensive list of things to do, and weirdly enough, I seem to have plenty of spare time to do them.

I've always said water is a major cause of electrical problems with 2019 Levos, and that "over washing" is a common culprit - and although I refrain from cleaning my bike as much as possible, I gave it a thorough scrub about a month ago which may well be when all this happened.

Also I've just seen this thread: [Solved] Power up/battery door issue which is identical to this one, so I'll retire this one and if my LBS is still open I'll order a new battery cable.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have written all of this before in the thread that dealt with the power cable problems but worth repeating here. I have owned a Levo Comp for nearly a year and ridden it throughout the winter. I have experienced no electrical problems. I did order a new power cable as a precaution since I was about to do a complete service on the bike, and I did find evidence of the beginning of damage on the motor end plug on the original cable. It had not caused me any problems however.
1. I removed the TCU and wrapped it in insulating tape having made sure first that the USB entry point was fully sealed by its rubber plug. I then wrapped the TCU connectors in amalgamating tape.. I made a 1mm neoprene gasket to fit the bottom of the TCU in order to create a good seal against the top tube when re installed.
2. I use grease to block the holes where the TCU cable pass through behind the shock. This prevents any water running down those cables to the termination ports on the motor.
3. I treat the "O" rings on the battery cable ( battery connection end and motor connection end) with silicone liquid and then silicon grease behind those seals. I repeat that treatment on the battery end plug quite frequently and on the motor end plug every 6 months.
4. Every couple of months I clean the battery cable plug and battery terminal with contact cleaner. Contact cleaner is designed to break down oxidisation deposits which occur on any electrical contact most especially those more exposed to the general atmosphere. One wiped it leaves no deposit. Contrary to what was said above it is MOST important to do on low voltage contacts hence why every HIFI enthusiast constantly uses it on speaker contacts etc.
5. I never leave the battery or charger terminal plugs exposed to the general environment. I have a pouch that covers the charger plug when not in use. When charging I obviously remove it and it then goes on the battery plug of the main power cable. This not only excludes too much contact with the atmosphere but also guards a gainst the magnets attracting any debris.
6. I use grease as a water barrier on the motor cover edges when I remove and replace them and block all entries ( rear air gap and speed cable entry point) with motofoam.
7. I used self adhesive industrial strength velcro and a piece of neoprene to make a cover over the battery connection. The velcro enables access for charging and once replaced keeps all dust, mud and water away from the battery connection.
8. To clean my bike I first use a soft brush to get rid of the majority of mud etc. Then just use a damp cloth....no hose no pressure washer. Then apply frame shine. The latter prevents adhesion of mud and stops staining so makes cleaning far easier.
9. I keep my bike in the house during the winter.

tvandall

Mar 24, 2020
Victoria, BC, Canada
Great detail and practices I'll adopt. :) Much appreciated! Interested in the brand/type of contact cleaner you use? I think Berkshire was talking about dielectric grease getting on contacts which is not conductive and WD type contact cleaner but I'm not sure RobH may know. Your rational as explained sounds pretty sold. Would love to see a photo of #7 sounds like an excellent idea. (y)(y)(y)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Great detail and practices I'll adopt. :) Much appreciated! Interested in the brand/type of contact cleaner you use? I think Berkshire was talking about dielectric grease getting on contacts which is not conductive and WD type contact cleaner but I'm not sure RobH may know. Your rational as explained sounds pretty sold. Would love to see a photo of #7 sounds like an excellent idea. (y)(y)(y)
For item 7 check the thtead called "Its a cover up". The contact cleaner I use is Halfords brand for ebikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles