Now I understand what all the fuss is about . . . .

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
Hello all

Been riding bikes for 25 years, have raced triathlons, road races, DH and more recently Enduro's on a YT Capra. Recently my father has got back into MTB after getting a Giant EMTB and after chasing after him for 6 months I finally decided to get my own "cheat bike" to keep up with him and to use as a bit of a DH shuttle when on my own.

Having had success (and great value for money) with my YT Capra I placed an order for a Decoy base model in July, unfortunately due to the well documented issues the delivery date went from "in stock" to sometime after October. Cancelled the order and the search for a different bike started, started to think about waiting for a 2020 Whyte or a Meta power, but none of the available bikes were quite what I was looking for.

Managed to get a great deal on a base spec 2019 Levo FSR at my local bike shop (was always worried about support) and then hit Wiggle pretty hard the same day for some 160 Lyriks, Saint brakes, dropper and some other goodies (all on sale :) ), this was followed by a great day stripping and then rebuilding the shiny new bike back to a proper spec. Total cost was less than anything else out there near the spec on the important bits, even more so once I sell all the unwanted bits.

First ride was awesome, very happy with the overall bike, my first 29er so loving the fast rolling over roots, already faster on several of my local DH runs as well. Jumps were comical at first due to not understanding the weight difference, but learnt quickly and very surprised how manoeuvrable it is, feels quite similar to my old vintage 2000 Orange DH bike (nearly the same weight as well!)

Next up is lots more riding whilst there is some sort of summer still here in the UK and then a coil rear shock once the bank account recovers a bit!

Based on the Southdowns but ride all over the UK and abroad - hope to see you out on the trails!

Rob

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
Quick report:

First ride - 22 miles and 2000ft ascent/decent, mostly trail and turbo, fastest time on a few DH runs I know well. 30% battery left

Second ride 2 days later - 32 miles and 2600ft ascent/decent, only 3 miles of that on roads,, mostly Eco and Trail, bit of turbo up hills, Eco set to be just a bit more than standard riding speed and wasn't in a hurry. 10% battery left

Cant believe how much more riding is now within evening riding distance. Had a Proper adventure into woods I have never ridden to before, all from my front door. Found some great Southdowns singletrack and a few more DH runs worth exploring.

The Levo has been faultless, might look to get some form of mudguard as crap builds up between the frame and rear wheel quickly. Hit a few jumps, 2 foot drops and some very fast rooty sections. Now a 29er convert as love the rolling speed and generally very happy with how composed it is with the stock rear shock. However, a shiny new coil will feel like a magic carpet ride . . . . .

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
best thread title yet.

Second ride 2 days later - 32 miles and 2600ft ascent/decent, only 3 miles of that on roads,, mostly Eco and Trail, bit of turbo up hills, Eco set to be just a bit more than standard riding speed and wasn't in a hurry. 10% battery left

I got 900 metres (3000 feet) 50km on 85% of 500Wh recently (if you log your rides in Mission Control the report actually gives you a figure for Wh/used). Surrey Hills.

What eco support level are you using? I found 10% put me just a little faster than my benchmark fitness mates on bio bikes, with similar effort.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Cant believe how much more riding is now within evening riding distance. Had a Proper
adventure into woods I have never ridden to before, all from my front door. Found some great Southdowns singletrack and a few more DH runs worth exploring.

yeah this is one of the benefits, go sniffing around in new directions without trashing your whole ride.

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
I got 900 metres (3000 feet) 50km on 85% of 500Wh recently (if you log your rides in Mission Control the report actually gives you a figure for Wh/used). Surrey Hills.

What eco support level are you using? I found 10% put me just a little faster than my benchmark fitness mates on bio bikes, with similar effort.

Thanks for the hint about Mission control, will log the next few rides and see how it works.

Think the support is set to 20%, will check tonight, but felt like a slightly faster version of myself, could probably turn it down a bit more to gain some more distance.

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
yeah this is one of the benefits, go sniffing around in new directions without trashing your whole ride.

Lived in the same area most my life so finding new trails is very cool, also loving being able to enjoy them because i'm not knackered from getting there!

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
some brutal climbs down your way, I wager you're climbing faster, relative to your bio powered self at the same effort, than you realise.

the true test is to go ride with your usual buddies on their bio bikes.

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
Some brutal climbs but some awesome DH as well, particularly on the north side of the downs. Been on a mission this summer to find the best hidden natural trails. One of the reasons for getting the Levo was to explore further and ride these hidden gems more often.

2 rides in and already found new stuff . . . .

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK

Had a look last night, set at 15% Support, 15% peak power, as you say I think its still faster than a normal me. Will play with turning it down some more.

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
Third ride - 28.5 miles and 3100ft ascent/decent, nearly all trail with boost for a few steep hills, 6% battery left.

Oh and I weight 94KG so not exactly a lightweight

No issues to report, could do with a wash and thinking about getting one of these Specialized Levo 2019 Mud Guard not cheap but looks to be the best for the job.

Also found the limits of the standard butcher tyres on some chalky off camber nastiness, will probably swap to some minions sooner rather than later. Did set the butchers up tubeless after the first ride due to getting a pinch flat which was refreshingly easy, wheels taped well out of the box with decent quality valves included with the bike.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
sounds about right Rob - I get a bit more but I'm 15kg lighter. weight and effort make a big difference.

I'm pretty happy with the 500Wh battery, don't see the need to drop a grand on the 700Wh.

you're right re the tyres. I put a Hillbilly on the front but I'm going to move it to the rear and put something else on the front. What's a good Minion? There's a myriad of choice.

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
In the past my go to tyre set up on other bikes has been Minion DHF2 2.4 3C Exo and a High Roller2 3C Exo on the rear. Never had to run cushcore or DD casings and has worked for me on fast super rough rock gardens (rim dinger at BPW for example) and in the Alps.

Tried a Shorty up front last winter and works really well in soft mud/chalk but not so well on more man made tracks at trail centres, for fresh cut enduro race lines they are brilliant.

Shame that all my old spare tyres are 27.5"!

2.6 WT Minions are now available in the Exo+ casing so will probably try a pair of those next.

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
Fourth Ride - 25.75 Miles and 2364ft ascent/decent, nearly all trail with boost for a few steep hills, 10% battery left. Really went hard, rode as fast as a could so even in trail it was mostly max effort.

Super muddy, love how easy the bike makes riding up gradual muddy trails that seem to grind on forever on a normal bike. Did have to stop and remove the build up of crap between the seat tube and rear wheel a few time - Mudguard on order.

Sliding around DH in the slop was awesome, probably wouldn't have bothered on a normal bike as the effort to grind uphill in the rain wouldn't be worth it for the slippery DH, however this is not an issue now and can really get some good practice in bad conditions.

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
@Rob in a field sounds like you ride as I do - assistance isn't for slacking it's for making riding full gas more fun. Climbs become intervals instead of slogs. Mud loses its power.

So far in a week where I would have only ridden a once or twice and maybe done a few "DH" runs, I have ridden 4 times, covered 108KM and descended 10,000ft of DH.

E-Bikes are for lazy people - my arse!

Off out again tonight with my 64 year old dad on his e-Bike for a blast at QECP!

Rob in a field

Jul 10, 2019
UK
Fifth Ride - 27.71 Miles and 2855ft ascent/decent, nearly all trail with boost for a few steep hills, 17% battery left, tried out my new Exposure head torch - ready for extended winter night sessions!

Sixth Ride - 19.61 Miles and 4060ft ascent/decent! first 2/3rd in Eco mode and taking it steady on the ups, last 1/3 in trail as ran out of energy and strength in my arms! 7% battery left.

Rode 7 of the longer DH trails at QECP and 2734ft of DH on just 53% of the battery but was taking a bit of time and grinding up the hills just a little faster than without assist (was also crazy hot outside so nice to take it gently) after a break went out on trail to do another 4 DH runs.

Worked out that if i had stayed in eco all day I could have done approx 37 miles and 5150ft of ascent/decent which is pretty mad! Truly a built in shuttle machine!

Did have a little crash due to a front wheel wash out on slimy chalk, need to sort a new front tire . . . . .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles