Novatec crap!

BackHol3

Aug 26, 2019
Finland
I have the same bike and year as you except mine is the NINER. I got mine in Jan'19. No problems with the hubs at all (touch wood). I'm torn between breaking the seal to see how it's getting on, finding all is well and then having problems, OR just leaving it alone until something does go wrong, which may be a long time (or not, ie normal now the subject has come up!).

I bought the bike october 1st 2019. I think the hub don't take the Finnish winter very well. We have extreme conditions here, variation - 35c to +5c is normal. Snow, slush and everything beetween that ?. I keep the bike always warm garage and let dry properly. But the hub just don't Last very long. I have to start RMA now, Let's see how's that Will be going ?

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
What's the point of replacing it with same crap? Do the freehub upgrade that has been documented here or rebuild the wheel with proper hub. You will end up with same problems and eventually warranty runs out.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
What's the point of replacing it with same crap? Do the freehub upgrade that has been documented here or rebuild the wheel with proper hub. You will end up with same problems and eventually warranty runs out.
Yes even though I have the upgraded 462 hub with the cartridge bearings I'm using a carbon wheel assy someone gave me. I can say that the Novatec hubs steel cassette driver was a huge plus over the aluminum one on the Exile+ hub that is in the carbon wheel I'm using. I saw zero wear with the steel cassette Novatec driver and lots of gouging with the aluminum driver right away. I wish I could get a steel cassette driver for this wheel because I don't see it surviving much longer. I do check the cassette tightness often because of that.

The main issue I had with the Novatec 162 was that adjustable bearing that I didn't pay attention to and rode it loose for maybe one ride, ruining the race quickly. I didn't see any other issues and the triple cartridge bearing seemed to be a great upgrade. The Novatec is very heavy wheel assy but some of that is the steel cassette driver which should be the only choice for ebikes using a Shimano style cassette/driver.

BackHol3

Aug 26, 2019
Finland
I did a small hole(with a needle) in the hub sealing, rusty water did Come out of it. So this was what I expected, hub is filled with water and start to rust inside. Never ever had this kind of problem with rear hub!

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
I can’t believe that Focus haven’t resolved this rear hub issue; my Jam2 6.8 (2020) 130 miles on the clock, has developed a real “graunching” sound from the rear hub; stopped to check the usual stuff, brakes, rear mech, no wobble on back wheel; but when I free-wheel it sounds bloody awful, like the freewheel isn’t quite free-wheeling. I wouldn’t mind but I upgraded from the 2019 6.8 and that bike took me everywhere, through and over anything for 1300 miles and the hub was sound (only issue with it was it wouldn’t take me very far, battery range being dire)
Anyway I took the wheel off and it’s definitely the hub/freewheel). Only had it a few weeks, too. Oh well, back to the dealer with it.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I can’t believe that Focus haven’t resolved this rear hub issue; my Jam2 6.8 (2020) 130 miles on the clock, has developed a real “graunching” sound from the rear hub; stopped to check the usual stuff, brakes, rear mech, no wobble on back wheel; but when I free-wheel it sounds bloody awful, like the freewheel isn’t quite free-wheeling. I wouldn’t mind but I upgraded from the 2019 6.8 and that bike took me everywhere, through and over anything for 1300 miles and the hub was sound (only issue with it was it wouldn’t take me very far, battery range being dire)
Anyway I took the wheel off and it’s definitely the hub/freewheel). Only had it a few weeks, too. Oh well, back to the dealer with it.
Sounds just like mine did after the bearings went out. Check to see if the axle is loose with the wheel off of the bike. Mine loosened up which allowed the bearings to chew up one of the races.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

Try loosening off the hub locknut. It had self tightened on mine and was a 2 minute job for the LBS to put right.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
I decided to have a fettle instead of taking/sending the bike or wheel back to the dealer: it was all very simple in the end; removed the cassette and dropped some oil around the free hub seal and hey presto, what sounded like something terminal was just something needing a few drops of lubricant. I feel a bit stupid really, with all the years I’ve been fettling all my bikes, the family bikes etc. I’ve never come across this problem before, I mean, that’s probably close to 40 bikes in all. On my experience I think the title of this thread is a bit harsh.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
On my experience I think the title of this thread is a bit harsh.

I agree with you there - and I wrote it.

There doesn't seem to be anyway of editing it, though. But it certainly attracts people's attention when they are suffering from Novatec problems and maybe they'll find a simple solution - like yours- so it might serve the purpose.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
I agree with you there - and I wrote it.

There doesn't seem to be anyway of editing it, though. But it certainly attracts people's attention when they are suffering from Novatec problems and maybe they'll find a simple solution - like yours- so it might serve the purpose.

I know where you’re coming from there, GP; think I’d have labelled it the same if I had started it!

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I decided to have a fettle instead of taking/sending the bike or wheel back to the dealer: it was all very simple in the end; removed the cassette and dropped some oil around the free hub seal and hey presto, what sounded like something terminal was just something needing a few drops of lubricant. I feel a bit stupid really, with all the years I’ve been fettling all my bikes, the family bikes etc. I’ve never come across this problem before, I mean, that’s probably close to 40 bikes in all. On my experience I think the title of this thread is a bit harsh.
Mine was also pretty dry and after it dented the race and I found I could not just buy that part, I sanded it a bit and really smoothed it out and then cleaned and repacked the bearings. There was no much grease in there so maybe that's what your bit of oil did. I would recommend taking it apart, cleaning and then re-packing the bearings. You shouldn't have to oil anything in that area, just a bearing repack.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Mine was also pretty dry and after it dented the race and I found I could not just buy that part, I sanded it a bit and really smoothed it out and then cleaned and repacked the bearings. There was no much grease in there so maybe that's what your bit of oil did. I would recommend taking it apart, cleaning and then re-packing the bearings. You shouldn't have to oil anything in that area, just a bearing repack.

The bearings were fine, nice and smooth; the free hub is a distinctly different part; there are loads of various vids on YouTube regarding my particular problem and lots point to using a light oil in the free hub to lubricate the pawls (totally separate from greasing the Cups & bearings).

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
The bearings were fine, nice and smooth; the free hub is a distinctly different part; there are loads of various vids on YouTube regarding my particular problem and lots point to using a light oil in the free hub to lubricate the pawls (totally separate from greasing the Cups & bearings).
Sorry I misunderstood that you oiled the freehub, you did say that. I generally take my freehub apart and clean and grease it with something like Dumonde Tech freehub grease to keep the pawls quiet and lubricated. It's something I learned when I had an I9 freehub that sounded like 1000 bees swarming and the light freehub grease that I9 recommended quieted things to 100 bees. I guess the oil would do the trick too but might not be as long lasting.

While the Novatec is heavy I love the steel cassette driver it has and if you can keep the bearings from failing, it's a lot more durable than an aluminum one. The freewheel from the 462 hub is a drop in replacement with 3 cartridge bearings if yours ever fails.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Sorry I misunderstood that you oiled the freehub, you did say that. I generally take my freehub apart and clean and grease it with something like Dumonde Tech freehub grease to keep the pawls quiet and lubricated. It's something I learned when I had an I9 freehub that sounded like 1000 bees swarming and the light freehub grease that I9 recommended quieted things to 100 bees. I guess the oil would do the trick too but might not be as long lasting.

While the Novatec is heavy I love the steel cassette driver it has and if you can keep the bearings from failing, it's a lot more durable than an aluminum one. The freewheel from the 462 hub is a drop in replacement with 3 cartridge bearings if yours ever fails.

Yep, you were right, it didn’t last long. As it’s a new bike the dealer asked me to take it to my LBS, which in my case is a local bike techie......anyway he took it apart and sure enough one of the pawls had come adrift. Whether that’s a Novatec QA problem a Focus build problem or something that should be picked up at PDI, I don’t know, but the axle bearings were also too tight and the RH crank bolt had also worked loose.....it’s a build problem somewhere along the line.......but me, I’m happy, I’ve got my bike working as it should be.

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Yep, you were right, it didn’t last long. As it’s a new bike the dealer asked me to take it to my LBS, which in my case is a local bike techie......anyway he took it apart and sure enough one of the pawls had come adrift. Whether that’s a Novatec QA problem a Focus build problem or something that should be picked up at PDI, I don’t know, but the axle bearings were also too tight and the RH crank bolt had also worked loose.....it’s a build problem somewhere along the line.......but me, I’m happy, I’ve got my bike working as it should be.

Jam2 6.8 Nine 2020 550kms on clock - I had a rear hub problem develop today drove over an hour to ride a new track (in the rain) 15mins in, that terrible scraunching sound.Aftergetting home and have a mate look at it, he said looks like one of the pawls is chipped off so it want grip properly in freewheel. See attached picture - can just this complement be replaced?)

Is this what people are experiencing? My bearings seem fine - just looking from outside. This should be covered under warranty? Can this Don’t have a good experience from my LBS where I bought bike, fearing I will be off road for a while (note: LBS took nearly 3 weeks to run software upgrade to fix 504 speed sensor issue then accused me of tampering and bike completely original. Would know how to tamper and wouldn’t after 5mths)
F6937AC1-5DA2-44EC-9C07-762FCD6EA84A.jpeg
1CB3A47B-86B1-4EEA-9D3E-65A5DAC178A8.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
can't really see from the pic very well. is it just the end of the pawl that's damaged?
If so don't waste your time with your LBS or warranty just email or call Novatec and ask them for a replacement pawl set. It shouldn't cost a lot.

If for some reason Novatec won't sell the pawls to you, you could always buy the complete freehub body and have yours warrantied

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Guess I was lucky in that my problem was treated as a warranty issue; purchased the bike online, have a professional mechanic 5 miles away and the dealer paid me back the £20 it cost to get it rectified.
On experience I would say yours ought to be a warranty fix also.
I think it’s worthwhile asking/demanding your supplier; and in parallel enquire with Focus too.
Also going on previous experience with Focus I registered the bike for warranty with them on their website.
If all this fails then look up the fixes on YouTube, maybe degrease it and relubricate it, see how it goes.

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
can't really see from the pic very well. is it just the end of the pawl that's damaged?
If so don't waste your time with your LBS or warranty just email or call Novatec and ask them for a replacement pawl set. It shouldn't cost a lot.

If for some reason Novatec won't sell the pawls to you, you could always buy the complete freehub body and have yours warrantied

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply. That is my guess (I am not mechanical in anyway) speaking to a mate, this is what he said. One of the pawls ends is chipped compared to the others, so I am presuming this is the problem. When I was riding the issue was intermittement and then became worse and was happening the majority of the time when not pedaling.

Thanks Gary, appreciate the info.

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Thn
Guess I was lucky in that my problem was treated as a warranty issue; purchased the bike online, have a professional mechanic 5 miles away and the dealer paid me back the £20 it cost to get it rectified.
On experience I would say yours ought to be a warranty fix also.
I think it’s worthwhile asking/demanding your supplier; and in parallel enquire with Focus too.
Also going on previous experience with Focus I registered the bike for warranty with them on their website.
If all this fails then look up the fixes on YouTube, maybe degrease it and relubricate it, see how it goes.

Thanks Shy Ted, appreciate the info.

BackHol3

Aug 26, 2019
Finland
I did a small hole(with a needle) in the hub sealing, rusty water did Come out of it. So this was what I expected, hub is filled with water and start to rust inside. Never ever had this kind of problem with rear hub!

I want to report back that Novatec did send a New Freehub (Focus Jam2 9.6 Plus 2019)to me. I had to send a video about the problem, but it wasn't a big deal. The New hub came with lot of grese around the seals, so I think they understand the "water gets In" problem :)

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
I replace the freehub and axle with a cartridge bearing system from novatech.
When my bearings went graunchy after 3000km.Can’t stand loose bearing freehubs.

Order numberProduct name and descriptionQuantityPrice without VATTotal price without VATTotal price with VATState
210832Freehub body F type, Shim.11, steel 5-pawls
1,00 PCS​
40,83 €​
40,83 €​
49,00 €​
Received​
140448Axle Rear B12 MULTI, Steel 15/12x148 BOOST, w/SC, for D462SB-B12, OEM
1,00 PCS​
18,33 €​
18,33 €​
22,00 €​
Received​
140196Bearings, #6902-RS, Japanese, EZO, 15x28x7
2,00 PCS​
12,50 €​
25,00 €​
30,00 €​
Received​
cg03Courier GLS
1,00​
0,00 €​
0,00 €​
0,00 €​
Received​
Total price:
101,00 €

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
View attachment 36383

I've ordered this but in 148 mm from ebay
Yes I did the same from aliexpress (could not find at the time on ebay) but the 11 speed version (462), 3 cartridge bearings, 5 pawls and steel cassette driver. Looks indestructible but I've put on a set of Exile+ Speedtuned CF wheels given to me. 29" front/27.5" back, 4 pawls and aluminum cassette driver. It is getting gouged up over time but it is about 1.5 lbs lighter than Novatec. The Novatec is now my backup wheel just in case.

Last edited:

Gee tomac

Jun 20, 2019
Kent
I replace the freehub and axle with a cartridge bearing system from novatech.
When my bearings went graunchy after 3000km.Can’t stand loose bearing freehubs.

Order numberProduct name and descriptionQuantityPrice without VATTotal price without VATTotal price with VATState
210832Freehub body F type, Shim.11, steel 5-pawls
1,00 PCS​
40,83 €​
40,83 €​
49,00 €​
Received​
140448Axle Rear B12 MULTI, Steel 15/12x148 BOOST, w/SC, for D462SB-B12, OEM
1,00 PCS​
18,33 €​
18,33 €​
22,00 €​
Received​
140196Bearings, #6902-RS, Japanese, EZO, 15x28x7
2,00 PCS​
12,50 €​
25,00 €​
30,00 €​
Received​
cg03Courier GLS
1,00​
0,00 €​
0,00 €​
0,00 €​
Received​
Total price:
101,00 €
Hi Telemarker,
I seem to have suffered the same fate , it looks like you’ve answered my questions, I can replace my freehub and axle with the parts you’ve used and keep my existing Novatec D162 hub as the bearings are fine , it’s the axle and freehub that are my problem, as you say can’t stand loose bearings . I’m guessing the 6902 bearings you ordered were for the hub ? Any help much appreciated ?

kimpet

Aug 11, 2020
Norway
Jam2 6.8 Nine 2020 550kms on clock - I had a rear hub problem develop today drove over an hour to ride a new track (in the rain) 15mins in, that terrible scraunching sound.Aftergetting home and have a mate look at it, he said looks like one of the pawls is chipped off so it want grip properly in freewheel. See attached picture - can just this complement be replaced?)

Is this what people are experiencing? My bearings seem fine - just looking from outside. This should be covered under warranty? Can this Don’t have a good experience from my LBS where I bought bike, fearing I will be off road for a while (note: LBS took nearly 3 weeks to run software upgrade to fix 504 speed sensor issue then accused me of tampering and bike completely original. Would know how to tamper and wouldn’t after 5mths) View attachment 34020 View attachment 34021
Hi, i have a 2020 Sam2 6.7 and had the same problems after about 800km, but i reached out to novatec on Facebook to buy replacement parts, but they wanted to cover it, i send them pictures and the reciept of my bike and they send me spare parts free of charge after 1 day.
It looks like they want to "fix" their stuff. But on another notice the Focus "OEM" axle has 3 pawls while the one on novatec website with the same numbers had 5 pawls, looks like focus wanted to cut cost, but a 3 pawl design is too weak for e-bike use i think.

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Hi, i have a 2020 Sam2 6.7 and had the same problems after about 800km, but i reached out to novatec on Facebook to buy replacement parts, but they wanted to cover it, i send them pictures and the reciept of my bike and they send me spare parts free of charge after 1 day.
It looks like they want to "fix" their stuff. But on another notice the Focus "OEM" axle has 3 pawls while the one on novatec website with the same numbers had 5 pawls, looks like focus wanted to cut cost, but a 3 pawl design is too weak for e-bike use i think.

Hi Kimpet, sounds like a quick and positive response from Novatec. Absolutely agree, with my limited knowledge a 3 pawl design is too weak for an ebike.
With my Novatec rear hub failure I returned it to my LBS and it is being worked through warranty (taking a long time & COVID delays) was advised this week, Focus have provided the LBS with an new upgraded Novatec Hub suitable for ebikes,. Its appears Focus/Novatec are aware of the failures and trying to fix. Only time will tell, but this is a positive step. Hopefully I will get my bike back this week and will provide updates over coming weeks.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My 2018 Focus Jam2 Novatec ds162 hub had 5 pawls but the ball bearing of course. I replaced it with the ds462 with 5 pawls, steel cassette and 3 cartridge bearings.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
That's exactly how mine failed too, gouged the small cup portion which I thought I could just replace.......wrong!! I did buff it out but was still rough and could not find replacement parts so I bought the 462 version on AliExpress with 3 cartridge bearings, same steel cassette driver and 5 pawls. It fit the hub perfectly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles