Novatec crap!

Duckis

Aug 4, 2021
Finland
No the 162 comes apart just like the 462. Once you remove the assembly from the hub like you did it comes apart. They both have steel cassette drives and both come in 3 and 5 pawl versions but Focus uses the 5 pawl. The 162 has individual bearing and races that you need to grease while the 462 has 3 cartridge bearings that are sealed so it's the better option And both are the type that fit your hub. There is an 11 speed and 12 version as well. Like I said there are slots on one end for a slender wrench and I think the other end takes a hex. you adjust these for the 462 to just take the play out of the bearings on the 462 and when this comes loose as it does, then the bearings wobble and hammer the races, probably your issue. You just need to get this assembly apart now and it does come apart....but no replacement parts available other than just buying a new assy for the $70.

Atleast my D162SB is with 3 pawls and I still cannot see any hex placements in the ends of the freewheel axle. The video has a different looking hub also.

Took some photos of mine: NovatecD162SB and NovatecD162SB 2

But anyway. Cleaned the freehub, took the 3 pawls out and greased them also etc. But when placing the freehub inside the hub and rolling it like it would roll then the wheel is spinning, I still get the awlful sound and one point of the roll. I recorded a video of this:
There's also some nasty looking abrasion inside the hub, behind the "teeth": IMG 20210809 175834 I tried to think and inspect what could cause those. Looking at the bottom of the freehub and it's axle, the angle of the bottompart look odd too: FreehubAngle look at the pink lines. I think that part should be evenly placed from side to side. In the photo you can see that the side is way higher on other side.

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
No the 162 comes apart just like the 462. Once you remove the assembly from the hub like you did it comes apart. They both have steel cassette drives and both come in 3 and 5 pawl versions but Focus uses the 5 pawl. The 162 has individual bearing and races that you need to grease while the 462 has 3 cartridge bearings that are sealed so it's the better option And both are the type that fit your hub. There is an 11 speed and 12 version as well. Like I said there are slots on one end for a slender wrench and I think the other end takes a hex. you adjust these for the 462 to just take the play out of the bearings on the 462 and when this comes loose as it does, then the bearings wobble and hammer the races, probably your issue. You just need to get this assembly apart now and it does come apart....but no replacement parts available other than just buying a new assy for the $70.
OK, it's two 17 mm wrenches to unlock the double nut on the end that you see in this pic. I have an extra one with the ball bearings that Focus gave me under warranty. Too bad you're not in the states.

IMG_0267.JPG

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Atleast my D162SB is with 3 pawls and I still cannot see any hex placements in the ends of the freewheel axle. The video has a different looking hub also.

Took some photos of mine: NovatecD162SB and NovatecD162SB 2

But anyway. Cleaned the freehub, took the 3 pawls out and greased them also etc. But when placing the freehub inside the hub and rolling it like it would roll then the wheel is spinning, I still get the awlful sound and one point of the roll. I recorded a video of this:
There's also some nasty looking abrasion inside the hub, behind the "teeth": IMG 20210809 175834 I tried to think and inspect what could cause those. Looking at the bottom of the freehub and it's axle, the angle of the bottompart look odd too: FreehubAngle look at the pink lines. I think that part should be evenly placed from side to side. In the photo you can see that the side is way higher on other side.
It sure does look like something was inside there that did that gouging, dirt, small tiny stones, etc. I see you also have microspline which I don't have on my 2018.

Duckis

Aug 4, 2021
Finland
It sure does look like something was inside there that did that gouging, dirt, small tiny stones, etc. I see you also have microspline which I don't have on my 2018.

Yep those marks are not something that should exist in a brand new bike. There has not been any changes for dirt etc. to get there before anykind of cycling :(

Duckis

Aug 4, 2021
Finland
Well I'll send the bike or atleast the back wheel back to the bikeshop for it to be fixed/changed to a new one. I also contacted Novatec and they sent me a new freehub for free :) I think it's gonna be D462SB. It's atleast nice to have a spare part as I think the problem lies in the hub itself so a new freehub won't fix it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles