Not freewheeling and also grinding

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
On the ride yesterday down a hill, I noticed the hub noise intermittent. I looked down and the chain ring was going round on its own, then would stop and the hub noise would start, then start again. It did this for a good few minutes. I also span the cranks backwards after the ride/wash and it was making a grinding noise, which I've not noticed before, almost like grit/dirt in there.

Anyone else had this?

I'm 2 rides back from not having the bike for 5 weeks due to other failures. Please don't tell me it's fecked again.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
On the ride yesterday down a hill, I noticed the hub noise intermittent. I looked down and the chain ring was going round on its own, then would stop and the hub noise would start, then start again. It did this for a good few minutes. I also span the cranks backwards after the ride/wash and it was making a grinding noise, which I've not noticed before, almost like grit/dirt in there.

Anyone else had this?

I'm 2 rides back from not having the bike for 5 weeks due to other failures. Please don't tell me it's fecked again.
If the grinding sound comes from the motor area it is probably the big needle bearing behind the spider that’s going south and that means a new motor.

Good luck

Karsten

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I had a read of that first and the noise does sound to be the same, but there was no mention of the freewheeling option.

I'm also getting loads of overrun, which didn't happen previously.

I hope it's not a new motor, as I've just read that thread that there are none.
Unfortunately, based on your clarification of the issue, it does indeed point in the direction of a new motor. Maybe you can show bike to your LBS and he then orders a new unit while you try to keep old motor alive until new arrives. As people also are decribing there is a trick to place bike on the side and then apply some thin oil in the small space between bushing and axle. Let gravity work for a while and it can maybe prolong the life a little but the bearings are for sure damaged for life and properly also the axle. But I would not recommend doing that before you have an agreement with your LBS as it could also seep further into the engine and damage other parts, for example the belt.

Karsten

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
So first these issues and now the errors and turning off as reported in my other thread, plus a motor error on the TCU.

My first motor started giving issues in just under 2 months, but using a workaround I could get it to stay on so it lasted another 2 months.

The new motor has lasted just two months again, but is dead and no workaround.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The same as my other bikes, bike stand, hose, etc etc. It's been washed once in 7 weeks.
It’s a known issue of water ingress in the drive side. Worth checking it out.
Also rip the rear wheel off and make sure all is good there too. I just snapped a rear hub axle and weird stuff was happening with free wheeling, as the freehub was not locating properly. Cassette just fell off cause of the snapped inner axle.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Water ingress is probably worse on mine as this is how it came back after the Stafford store fit the new motor. They said it was the best they could do. It's the non drive side.
20190628_105848.jpg
20190628_105856.jpg

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
My 18 Expert just had the motor replaced I’ve filled the void on the crank arm with silicone grease to fight the water ingress. In the shop manual it says to grease the back of the spider as well which I did also.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles