Norco Slight won’t turn on E8000

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
Can someone help me start my Norco Slight E8000?
I haven’t been on my bike for nearly 3 months & when I went to turn the motor on this morning, it’s not responding. My battery is fully charged & I’ve checked all wire connections at the display unit. My wife’s Merida’s bike does a similar thing when not used for long periods of time, however there is a reset button (located behind a rubber grommet) built into the frame. Does anyone know if Norco has a similar reset function?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Seeing as nobody else has responded to this...

I read on here a few weeks ago that some start buttons have their own battery. That battery can go flat if the bike is not used for a period of time (3 months might do it). The cure is to start the bike with the reset button. On the bike in question (sorry can't recall), it was a small hole on the downtube that was directly above the main battery start button. Just push a thin rod down it (an Allen key?)

That may trigger a few more responses. Or you could try the search function.

jasonbub

Sep 21, 2021
Los Angeles
Hi, I also have a 2020 Norco Sight VLT For Sale and I don’t know where this reset button is. If anyone has an idea please share it. I had my E 8000 motor stop functioning after a rough patch of trail today. It took me wiggling the wires that connect the battery to the motor to get it to start working again. I’d love to know any troubleshooting tips about the Shimano E 8000 motor.

cole_inman

Dec 11, 2019
Blue Ridge Mountains
There's no power button reset that I can find on the bike or after scouring Norco's manuals. My bike 2020 Norco Sight VLT C2 and I've had the same problem 3 times so far. Happens after the bike has been on a ride working just fine. The led for the button is lit up, and the display comes on, then just quits. I've had the charging port replaced under warranty (E020 code intermittently). I'm not sure this is a hardware issue, since this problem always magically heals itself over night without me touching the bike. My firmware is all up to date, so the only 2 components left are the wire harness inside the downtube between the motor and battery and the power button. Looking for any suggestions as my Norco dealer is an hour away and not the best shop in the world at that.

Side rant: I think it was a really poor design decision for Shimano to supply the display, shifter, motor, and battery, but expect the frame manufacturers to integrate their own button on the bikes. They were probably thinking: "oh well it's just a switch, how hard could it be?" but it introduces more complexity for no reason. Cost of bikes go up because they have to manufacture a hole in the frame + supply a button. Not only do we get more proprietary parts, but we get electrical components from a bike manufacturer. Are we surprised there's design/quality issues? What does all this get us? The Ironman heart button on the Norcos looks horrible, and the Decoy's button is hidden under the top tube. So we get more expensive, more proprietary, less reliable, less good looking bikes, all because of an engineering/design decision.
Full stop, the power button should live on the display. If this problem happened, the fix would be as simple as replacing the display.

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Can someone help me start my Norco Slight E8000?
I haven’t been on my bike for nearly 3 months & when I went to turn the motor on this morning, it’s not responding. My battery is fully charged & I’ve checked all wire connections at the display unit. My wife’s Merida’s bike does a similar thing when not used for long periods of time, however there is a reset button (located behind a rubber grommet) built into the frame. Does anyone know if Norco has a similar reset function?
Does your bike have Shimano battery?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
If you put a Allen key in a chain ring bolt and pedal the bike backwards pretty quickly as if you were lubing the chain the bike will turn on. Use to happen on my sight all the time. Does it on my Levo now too.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
If you put a Allen key in a chain ring bolt and pedal the bike backwards pretty quickly as if you were lubing the chain the bike will turn on. Use to happen on my sight all the time. Does it on my Levo now too.

Mate this is IMPRESSIVE you‘ve discovered, the “Allen key crank reversal kick start”….. So l am guessing on here, you would still press the on off button…. Then apply the Allan Key and proceed to peddle backward….

My Sight can and often expresses from applying with a lazy “ON” button response, slow to engage, hasn’t completely given up but showing up as possible signs ay…. Mate totally appreciate with your reply to this thread!

Thanks….

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Nah you don't even need to hit the power button. Just cycling back fairly quickly will turn the system on.

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
My Sight did the same thing after a bumpy 38 km epic ride. A Norco dealer couldn’t resolve the issue so they called Norco for help. After 2 days of no responce, i picked up the bike as we were leaving the area the next morning. When I got the bike back I decided to drop the motor and check the connections. It wa not difficult and sure enough one of the black bullet connectors was loose. Cleaned everything up, made sure the connectors solidly clicked into place, reassembled everything and no problems since.

cole_inman

Dec 11, 2019
Blue Ridge Mountains
Dealer replaced my wire harness ($175 labor cost) and 2 rides/30 miles later it seems to be working fine. No error codes or anything. Guessing there was just a short in the wire that developed after about a year of riding the bike hard. Seems that Norco has ditched the wire harness on their new VLT bikes, since the charging port is integrated into the battery.
It's interesting to me how we're on the 3rd generation design of the Sight VLT, but still only the first generation design of the YT Decoy, which anecdotally, seems to be a much more reliable bike. I also broke my Sight VLT's alloy chainstays, and have never heard of a broken YT, carbon or alloy. Love how the Sight rides but with these 2 major issues, it's hard to not look at this bike as being a lemon.

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
When I removed the motor I noticed a couple og spots where the wires were pinched. The hardest part of the job was getting the motor back in. There is a channel under the motor where I secured the wires with “Gorilla” tape to hold them in place during the reassembly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles