Norco Sight VLT2 or Specialized Levo Comp?

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
I've been going round and round between these 2 bikes. Both are comparable, price wise. I think I get more bang for my buck with the Norco, but think I'll prefer the Brose over the STEPS e8000.

What are your thoughts on these two? Which would you rather be riding? Help me decide...

I'm going to demo the Levo tomorrow, and the Norco Friday.

Thanks!

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
A deciding factor could be your size - the Levo has a higher torque motor and the larger capacity battery (if you're talking a 2020 model) both of which become more important the heavier you are. I chose the Levo last year over a Trek Powerfly LT and a Focus Jam, mainly for the 29er wheels, the option of a bigger battery, the torque, the ability to customise all assist levels and the discreet display.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I have the norco and it's a fantastic bike but the brose motor with its customisation kills the steps motor. If money was no factor I would buy the levo, for me money was a factor so I bought the norco.

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
A deciding factor could be your size - the Levo has a higher torque motor and the larger capacity battery (if you're talking a 2020 model) both of which become more important the heavier you are. I chose the Levo last year over a Trek Powerfly LT and a Focus Jam, mainly for the 29er wheels, the option of a bigger battery, the torque, the ability to customise all assist levels and the discreet display.

Thanks for the reply! I'm currently 6ft 190lb, but have been dropping about 10lb a week since mtn biking daily. Still have about 20 more to go!

I also ride an Intense Tracer (27.5), which suits my current riding style/terrain. I do think a 29er would do better over most of our local trails, but the Norco seems to have better components overall.

The 630wh battery in the Norco should be plenty for my needs, so the extra 70-80wh of the Levo isn't a concern.

Pros of Sight:
- better components for the price

Pros of Levo:
- larger battery

Unsure:
- brose vs shimano (seems like most prefer the brose)
- 29" (levo) vs 27.5" (sight)

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
I have the norco and it's a fantastic bike but the brose motor with its customisation kills the steps motor. If money was no factor I would buy the levo, for me money was a factor so I bought the norco.

Thanks, good to know! The Levo Comp and Sight VLT C2 are comparable in price. Which Norco model do you have? Did you test ride both?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I have the sight vlt2 (middle model) it retailed for $7600 in Aus, I bought a demo for $6200, the base levo was $7000 which had reduced battery and lower specs, the comparable levo was $9000. We only got 2 sights in Aus, the top and middle model, the base never made it here. I never demoed the levo due to the price.

Dont get me wrong I love the sight, I actually like the 27.5 wheels too, with the sights geometry it feels smaller than it is. The shimano motor although very usable has a few quirks that shit me but you learn to live with it.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Snapped my Sight, and my Levo is still going strong with more k’s and abuse. Just sayin ?‍♂️
Brose is quieter, has more torque and is way more tuneable to suit your riding, especially with the BLEvo and EGENESIS apps. Resale will be higher with the Levo, and it has a bigger battery too.
Get the base bike right, that is the motor and frame right, and the rest can be upgraded, If and when needed.
End of the day, choose the bike that suits you best for your riding.

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
Snapped my Sight, and my Levo is still going strong with more k’s and abuse. Just sayin ?‍♂️
Brose is quieter, has more torque and is way more tuneable to suit your riding, especially with the BLEvo and EGENESIS apps. Resale will be higher with the Levo, and it has a bigger battery too.
Get the base bike right, that is the motor and frame right, and the rest can be upgraded, If and when needed.
End of the day, choose the bike that suits you best for your riding.

Good info, thanks! When you say you snapped your Sight, what do you mean? Frame?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Good info, thanks! When you say you snapped your Sight, what do you mean? Frame?
Yeah, snapped the frame where the top tube meets the seat tube. Was replaced under warranty as they have a 5 year warranty on frames. Spesh have a lifetime warranty on frames, and lifetime on wheels too ?

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
Was really tending toward a Sight VLT over a 2020 Levo given the specs. Then test rode the Sight and couldn’t handle the motor noise.

Also only one Norco dealer any where near me. Lots of Spec dealers.

Ended up with a 2020 Levo Expert and absolutely love it.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I test rode both - and now I've got a Levo. After all, it's the motor that makes an eBike, and the Brose is way better than the Shimano.

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
Surprised with the number of people preferring the Levo over the Sight. I'm not sure I could deal with the noise and oddities of the Shimano. Thanks everyone for the input. I was nervous to drop this amount of money and make the wrong choice, but it seems pretty obvious which one I should go with.

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
I have a steps e8000 bike and my pal has a 2019 levo, my bike is better specced but id take the Levo for the near silent brose motor, its just a better motor than the shimano e800, has better range range and way more torque. He has had a few electrical issues which seems very common on the levo.

petjoh

Oct 3, 2019
Austria
I have the same problem that I have to decide between Norco vlt2 and Levo.

Norco has a built-in battery - not the best way in future
The Shimano engine seems far from faultless.
Brose SMag you read a lot about broken timing belts and other problems that exist even in 2020 :(

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
I have the same problem that I have to decide between Norco vlt2 and Levo.

Norco has a built-in battery - not the best way in future
The Shimano engine seems far from faultless.
Brose SMag you read a lot about broken timing belts and other problems that exist even in 2020 :(

I went round and round and round. More people seem to enjoy the brose, and I liked how quiet it was (the one I just test rode, was VERY quiet). 2yr warranty on motor/battery and lifetime on frame...I'm hoping it's reliable. If it's not, I'll enjoy it until the warranty is up and move on to another e-mtb.

My LBS is one block away, and sells the Levo. He gave me a great deal and I've always trusted them with my other bikes. So, it made sense to just stick with them. The Norco, I'd have to drive an hour for any type of warranty service.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I've been going round and round between these 2 bikes. Both are comparable, price wise. I think I get more bang for my buck with the Norco, but think I'll prefer the Brose over the STEPS e8000.

What are your thoughts on these two? Which would you rather be riding? Help me decide...

I'm going to demo the Levo tomorrow, and the Norco Friday.

Thanks!
Personally I wouldn't now choose the VLT, the new RANGE VLT is a better and much improved bike, I rode the Range recently in Canada, also, if you prefer the Brose motor then I think you have answered your own question as arguably, the Brose motor is the better option say over Shimano or Bosch.

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
Personally I wouldn't now choose the VLT, the new RANGE VLT is a better and much improved bike, I rode the Range recently in Canada, also, if you prefer the Brose motor then I think you have answered your own question as arguably, the Brose motor is the better option say over Shimano or Bosch.

I actually had the Range VLT on my list of e-mtbs, along with the YT Decoy. I was concerned about the Range being too slacker for the riding I do, which is partly why I was leaning more towards the Sight.

In the end, having my LBS as a Specialized dealer and a quieter motor...seemed to push me more towards the Levo. I typically don't keep any toy, car, bike, etc... longer than a few years, so I'm sure I'll mix it up in the near future. Thanks for the input!

MISTER HYDE

Oct 9, 2019
ITALY
I have a Norco Sight vlt 2 since February. One of the first arrived. I am very satisfied with the performance: Norco know how to make great bike ! ?

Before I had a Levo first version and thought to change with the new one but you know about several problems (carter's hole, suspension leverage) expecially several broken Brose Mag (l know 2 bikers who changed 2 motors in few months !!! ? This is not possible for a brand like Specialized !!! Hope things are solved now.

Brose is good motor, but Shimano is not bad at the end and now can be tuned by app like eMaxMobile and StepsUnlooker as you want.

Now l make around three thousand km with the Norco and is a great bike indeed.

The Most Comprehensive E-Bike Shootout in North America

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I have a 2019 carbon Levo and the Brose motor is awesome. Mine only made 500 miles before it started grinding and making noises though. It would turn on when I took it out of my van all by itself, too.

The 2020 29er sight is looking better and better. Yes I said 29er! The shimano motor seems to be more reliable, also. The sight is actually getting a facelift. They are coming out with a 29" Sight in March. It will take the battery extender like the 2020 range so you will have 990wh of battery.

For those that have ridden both... how much louder is the Shimano? Can you tell how much less torque it has?

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I think Shimano is 75nm torque and Brose is 90, so that's 20% more.
I've ridden both and don't think there's much in it for noise.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I think Shimano is 75nm torque and Brose is 90, so that's 20% more.
I've ridden both and don't think there's much in it for noise.

So the shimano isn't that much louder? Can you tell the Brose has 20% more torque?

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I've ridden both - the Shimano is at least 30% louder, and has noticeably less torque.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
So the shimano isn't that much louder? Can you tell the Brose has 20% more torque?
I expect if you did some back to back trials you could get accurate details on both noise levels and the effect of differing torque. I just chose the Levo as it had a higher max torque to carry my higher weight (125kg) more easily. I test rode the Creo a few months ago (35nm) and it screamed the whole way up the hill in Turbo.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I've ridden both - the Shimano is at least 30% louder, and has noticeably less torque.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know when the Shimano 9000 motor will be out? Im guessing it will be quieter and more torque than the 8000.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles