Norco Sight VLT

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
I think I’ll try that combo if the Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4 (not the Ewild) don’t work out. A friend just gave me his spare set to try out so I’ll mount them up next week and report back

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The flex in the corner is probably more a condition of the casing than the tire model. I find exo's too flexy unless they have too much pressure. Those michelin are good tires. Similar weight casing as a maxxis dd but better rubber and casing. Because youre in Aus id say try the rockr 2 rather than the wild enduro. The wild enduro is similar to an assguy and the rockr2 is like a dhf. More supportive side knobs and better protection though. Its a 2.35 but measures the same as a 2.5 dhf. Amazing tire. I wish they made them in more widths and casings

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
Haven’t seen the rock r2 here. I’ll have a google. There isn’t a great choice of 2.5 rear tyres around. (True 2.5). Ebike rear tyres need to be aggressive but not balloon like

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Haven’t seen the rock r2 here. I’ll have a google. There isn’t a great choice of 2.5 rear tyres around. (True 2.5). Ebike rear tyres need to be aggressive but not balloon like
I have a rockr2 29 on the front with a 30mm inner rim and the ewild 2.6 27.5 on a 35mm inner rim. Happy with the support of the ewild on the 35 on the rear. If i had my choice id have 35mm inners front and rear with the rockr2 as is on the front and a 2.6 rockr2(if they made one in a 2.6) rear. I like a flatter sidewall front for edge pressure and a bit more of an arc in the rear sidewall for compliance without being balloony. My wieght/ass is back there so that compliance allows the bike to track better through ruts. Im still experimenting with emtb and 2.6 width tires on the back though.. rockr2 is a game changer though

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
The RockR2 sounds perfect! What bike have you got the mullet setup on?
I’m hoping the Wild Enduro will feel a bit like the old Gold colour super gravity magic Mary tyre when it comes to dampening. That tyre was so good. You’re input is much appreciated mate. Love experimenting with tyres and listening to people praise big 2.6-2.8 rubber is great but are they just ploughing through things or are they trying to gap features or have they got them I and love them because they take the edge off a harsh ride. I want them to be playful and provide support on those Gouts and times when u make a mistake. There is definitely no perfect tyre for all :)

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Haa ya id like to have a wall of tires to really do some back to back tests. Im not totally up on schwalbe casings. I liked the mm. I had a 2.6 super gravity. I think thats their dh casing? A bit wider than i normally had(schwalbe measure big similar to michelin). A bit pricey and wore out fairly quick but good traction on steep loose and shed mud well. Cornered pretty good. Probably in line with an assguy or wild enduro. Cornering edges would be w enduro>assguy>mm id say but all decent.
I have the mullet on my yt decoy. Its been fun. I can get the rear loose in the corner sometimes. Not yet sure if thats the mullet or the ewild. I have a fresh 27.5 rockr2 to swap on it to try but the ewild has been generally quite predictable and supportive and its been fun climbing throw wet roots and some mud sections in the fall. I can get the rear loose but its when im trying too but it seems ez to do. Rockr2 like the dhf's weak point is mud so that rockr2 will have to wait til spring. Figured i need to give this moto set up wider rear/normal front mullet set up a go

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
Yeah not many YT bikes in my good so i doubt I’ll ever see a Decoy. The trails here would be too mellow for one of them tbh. What tyres did the Decoy come with (size/size) I’m worried about the bb drop on mine going from 2.6 to 2.4 (I know Maxxis runs small but pedal strikes are a bit more common than I’d like as is)

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ya 10/4 on the lower and pedal strikes. Not sure on height dif. Decoy came with a dhr2 exo+ 2.8 rear and 2.5 dhf exo front. That 2.8 was just a touch wider than the 2.6 ewild. I sold the exo's straight away as new. One good thing about maxxis is they sell quick ? . $10 exfra for each tire and i had some michelins . Was able to compare the rockr2 on one bike against a 2.5 dd dhf front and 2.4 onza aquila en/fr rear (cheng shin tire like spesh, bonti, maxxis and sameish weight as dd casing). Rockr2 dug out of turns way better, less rim dings and noticeably more damp at higher pressure. Seemed tpo wear a touch longer to

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
Thanks Dewi!

Got it back from the shop and gave it a blow wave, took it for a spin, bummer still problem. Go back checked again a tiny bit of moisture still there so extra long blow dry (using relatively low temp as I figure too hot is not good for it) and seems to be all good now!

I spoke too soon! Went for a ride today got 10 km's in the dreaded stop. Then started again on for a few more km's stop...climb for a bit no assistance ...uuggghhh.. start again, stop again, start again, then finally a E020 error nothing doing. Then after I get back home try starting again E010 error, left it for a while now nothing at all! Bugger!

Jul 17, 2019
UK
Hey guys. How many of you have changed the tyres in your Sight VLT?
Thinking I want something a bit less flimsy but definitely not bigger than what’s in there now.
Anyone tried the Michelin 2.4 Wild Enduro tyres or maybe Assegai 2.5 combo
finding the front DHF would fold when cornering hard and the rear needs a lot of pressure to keep it from folding over in berms
Cheers
After suffering a couple of rear end pinch flats swapped out the original Exo DHR for a Michelin rear E-Wild 2.6. Way better side wall support. Now running a 2.6 E-Wild front too. Great tyres imo and not that pricey ?

A1CB364F-BF5C-475C-A70C-CFC7BF352C93.jpeg

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
After suffering a couple of rear end pinch flats swapped out the original Exo DHR for a Michelin rear E-Wild 2.6. Way better side wall support. Now running a 2.6 E-Wild front too. Great tyres imo and not that pricey ?

View attachment 21101
They just look too ‘plus’ for me. If these 2.4 Wild enduros don’t work out I’ll try a set of those. They are a great price here in Aus.

Jul 17, 2019
UK
They just look too ‘plus’ for me. If these 2.4 Wild enduros don’t work out I’ll try a set of those. They are a great price here in Aus.
TBH the 2.6 E-Wilds don’t come up any bigger than Maxxis 2.6s they replaced. However I see Norco are fitting a more suitable Maxxis 2.5/2.4 DD WT combo on the 2020 Sight VLT now

38603837-7C3B-4D15-8476-B48BADCBD14C.jpeg

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ya i noticed after i posted that my 2.6 ewild isnt much bigger than my 2.35 rockr2. Itd be even less of a dif if they were both on 35mm inner rims. Their measurements seem to vary. I recently bought a 2.35 wild performance for my trail , thinking itd be the same as a 2.5 maxxis because my rockr2 is , and was disappointed that it measured a true 2.35

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
there you go.... I wonder if they changed the bottom bracket height at all. They can’t really make the cranks much shorter than 165. I’ll have a look

Nope. BB stays the same. Except now it comes with a Lyric instead of my Pike and Guides with Code callipers ???

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I tried to take a pic but it doesnt show the tape measure very accurate. The ewild rear 2.6 is exactly 65mm from the outside of edging knob to outside of edging knob on a 35mm inner width rim. The rockr2 is 62mm on a 30mm inner width rim. Really curious to put my freshy 27.5 rockr2 on the 35mm inner width rim now

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
Just mounted them.
The first pic should be if the wild enduro 2.4 (rear) next to the DHF 2.6 (front) Width is pretty well the same but there’s a Pretty big difference in height! Over 5mm. 5mm might sound like nothing to some but try going back to a 170 or a 175mm crank and tell me you don’t get more pedal strikes. Pedal stike at speed is not fun. (Google Richie Rude pedal strike and watch his crash)
The second picture is the the same tyres but just in front of each other to show width. last picture is both Michelin front and rear next to each other. Let’s see how they ride ey?

AA84B6B1-FC25-4C74-8C67-403773BC2601.jpeg

4AB8D9D7-968F-4C55-AFFA-66FEF325FABA.jpeg

79195943-D287-4184-AFE6-14E368554E4C.jpeg

Last edited:

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
Took it for a 30km ride today. Bit of trail and dh stuff. First off... noticed straight away that the ride was a bit firmer. Kind of like going from carbon bars back to alloy (not a massive difference but you feel the lack of cushion from the previous 2.6 balloons). Second thing I noticed is the confidence you have with these tyres when you want to plough into a rocky section!!! No deflections or squirm... just point and shoot. So good and very compliant. Not quite damped as the SuperGravity casing (gold writing) on the magic Mary that use to be on my last bike, but much better grip on off camber sections due to the squared off profile (almost too square but very similar to a E13 trs). On tarmac it was not too noisy and rode much the same as the DHF dhr combo but when leaning it over on the road one has to be careful as the squared profile doesn’t have much to grip with like it would on dirt. biggest surprise was the rear tyre (wild Enduro rear). Sooooo predictable and the perfect shape (not too round that it loses traction on steep stuff but not too squared off that it sucks in flat turns or rolling resistance). Front I ran at 20-21psi and rear at 22-23. Will try different pressures next time but I think it’s about as good as they will feel without any inserts (huck, procore). And the drop in the bottom bracket?... well it’s noticeable. But honestly it ploughed through rocks so easily that the bb probably felt taller because it wasn’t bobbing up and down hence keeping the bb level. I’m not the best jumper in the world but when I tried to ‘style up’ a little hip jump I landed a bit too crossed up on my front wheel and I thank god that I had the Michelin on the front because the 2.6 DHF would have folded under itself and I would have been over the bars!it just lands jumps with no extra bounce (but with a little more harshness).
So if you’re old or have sore wrists, Bad tennis elbow, or ride sandy/snowy trails then the larger diameter tyre is definitely the way to go. Otherwise get some double down, dh, Michelin, grid, or super gravity Casing in your life.
Hope this helps someone

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
458 rear center though. Id rather mullet the current one, -1 works headset, and slide the seat forward , and have the 440 rear center

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
458 rear center though. Id rather mullet the current one, -1 works headset, and slide the seat forward , and have the 440 rear center
You know, I almost bought a -1 headset the other day. Someone was selling it locally and would have been a perfect fit. But not without putting a Lyric at 170 on it first.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
You know, I almost bought a -1 headset the other day. Someone was selling it locally and would have been a perfect fit. But not without putting a Lyric at 170 on it first.
Works components are pretty good quality as well. The headset and 170 fork together would effect the seat tube angle and bb height very little. Be a nice HA too.
The new one has a shorter toptube but a bit more reach. Sliding the seat forward on the old one probably makes the toptubes similar length.
I thought they had lyrics on them?

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
I am running a 170mm fork, slacked head angle 0,5 degrees I think
It works great in some situations but I find the bike less playful
Maybe get to 160mm fork

IMG_3633.jpg

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
Works components are pretty good quality as well. The headset and 170 fork together would effect the seat tube angle and bb height very little. Be a nice HA too.
The new one has a shorter toptube but a bit more reach. Sliding the seat forward on the old one probably makes the toptubes similar length.
The
mine has a Pike 160 ? (the Australian ones did anyway)
The new models come with a lyric tho.

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
I messaged Evans Cycles here in the UK about the Sight VLT last week.
They don't bring them in anymore. ?

Last edited:

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Is that a 27.5 or 29 fork. Looks ?
I run a 29er Fox factory Ebike 160mm over the stock 27.5 Fox Performance Ebike fork.
Runs about 65 deg now and the tiny bit of BB clearance doesn't hurt.
I think the actual axle to crown increase was around 15mm from memory.

20190609_122238.jpg

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
I messaged Evans Cycles here in the UK about the Sight VLT last week.
They don't bring them in anymore. ?
I heard they were very $$$ in the U.K. Not that they were cheap here especially considering the spec but I think they ride better than most ebikes available here. I rode the Merida 160, trek powerfly , focus jam and it blew them out of the water in terms of feel on the trail. A fine balance between a trail and Enduro bike. Perfect do it all bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles