Noise is driving me mad

fat&grey

Dec 28, 2018
Uk
I'm falling out of love with my Levo. The forks/front end creaks so loudly I cant ignore it while riding, the bike also turned off twice during my last day ride. I did take it back to the shop and they said it was caused by damp but I hadn't washed it for a month and been no where near water.

So its sat in the garage this weekend and the old bike will make an appearance.

:-(

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
I'm falling out of love with my Levo. The forks/front end creaks so loudly I cant ignore it while riding, the bike also turned off twice during my last day ride. I did take it back to the shop and they said it was caused by damp but I hadn't washed it for a month and been no where near water.

just a thought - see my earlier post here - perhaps it will help :)

Creaking noise solved/found !
I have had this annoying creaking noise from what I thought was the crank. It has been frustrating the last 1-2 weeks, and after several tightening etc I today unmounted first the dropper-post completely - no change, then losened retightened everything, had wheels off ,thougt it came from rear swinger or shock. finally I took of the battery and took it for a ride-
VOILA !!! It simply was the battery making the creaking noise every time i moved/used the pedals. I have been riding dry dusty conditions the last 3-4 weeks, and dust/sand must have build up or something ? I cleaned it completely - also frame and every connectionpoints, and gave battery a silicone-cloth all over. its a new bike again !
just wanted to let you guys know - as I thougth I had to pull the engine as described somewhere - but try battery first - it worked for me :)
Allan

fat&grey

Dec 28, 2018
Uk
just a thought - see my earlier post here - perhaps it will help :)

Creaking noise solved/found !
I have had this annoying creaking noise from what I thought was the crank. It has been frustrating the last 1-2 weeks, and after several tightening etc I today unmounted first the dropper-post completely - no change, then losened retightened everything, had wheels off ,thougt it came from rear swinger or shock. finally I took of the battery and took it for a ride-
VOILA !!! It simply was the battery making the creaking noise every time i moved/used the pedals. I have been riding dry dusty conditions the last 3-4 weeks, and dust/sand must have build up or something ? I cleaned it completely - also frame and every connectionpoints, and gave battery a silicone-cloth all over. its a new bike again !
just wanted to let you guys know - as I thougth I had to pull the engine as described somewhere - but try battery first - it worked for me :)
Allan
Thanks Allan I'll have a look next weekend. Cheers

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB

Is it like a cracking noise? Mine started in what I thought was a creak and turned into a cracking noise. You couldn't ignore it.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have been struggling with this noise as well ended up being the seat rails where they go into the seat body, if you have an x fusion dropper the seat clamps creak a bit as well.
worth looking at anyway

fat&grey

Dec 28, 2018
Uk
I have been struggling with this noise as well ended up being the seat rails where they go into the seat body, if you have an x fusion dropper the seat clamps creak a bit as well.
worth looking at anyway
Thanks I was beginning to suspect that, I’ll change the saddle and see. Cheers

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
My front fork creaks when I lean my considerable weight over it at a standstill..... but i can't hear it when i'm cycling.

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
G'day Fat, i pulled my Giant front end apart on the weekend because the bike developed a creak that was annoying the crap out of me. It was coming from the front somewhere. Cleaned all the mating sufaces, stem spacers, stem, bars etc. Regreased and re-assembled. Creaking is gone. It has been dry as a chip here and pretty dusty. Don't loose interest mate, it's just the bike talking to you telling you it needs some lovin.

20190615_122606.jpg

20190615_130624.jpg

20190615_133018.jpg

20190615_133034.jpg

Last edited:

fat&grey

Dec 28, 2018
Uk
Quick update
Thanks for all the advice and help.
I changed, lubed and yes cleaned components individually to see if/when the nose would go.
Cleaned bike - no change
Swapped saddle - no change
Removed and lubed seat post - no change
Headset - removed/cleaned/lubed top bearing - no change
Headset - removed/cleaned/lubed lower bearing - oh my god it’s gone, the noise has gone.
Phew
Thanks again

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
That’s Interesting. I have changed all my bikes ( as my EMTB came with it)
To a Hope sealed Headset. Only have to check them once a year now to stuff some extra grease in. I used to have to replace my Speciized Enduro Headset Bearings every 4 months before I made that mod.

May be worth having a look into it.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
One thing that may help...……..when I stripped cleaned and re greased my headset I noticed how easy it was for fine dust/grit to get to that bottom bearing seat ( the black split seat that sits at the bottom of the steerer tube) through the small gap between the frame and the fork. When fully assembled I pushed grease into that gap allround with my finger. It has been very dry and dusty here since then and some rides have been on sandy moorland but I have not had to service the headset since. The idea is that the grease captures that dust/grit before it gets to the bearing set. If it does get to the bearing seat, the fact it is a split bearing seat allows the sand/grit to get between it and the bearing cartridge effectively spreading the split seat and therefore giving a bit of play that then rattles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles