Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
IMG_20181023_140133.jpg

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I've got a XTR M9000 shifter, XTR M9000 derailleur, XT M8000 11-46t cassette and a XT HG701chain on their way from CRC since they will stop shipping across the pond come January first.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I’ve recently swapped the ex1 for 11 speed , I got a good deal on sunrace cassette dueailure and shifter , with kmc ebike chain . Very pleased so far .
Xt was my favourite , the sunrace shifts as well with a lighter lever feel . The ergonomics of the shifter aren’t quite as nice but it’s easier to shift down the block with thumb rather that finger , if that’s prefferred .
It’s all interchangeable with shimano so we’ll see how it performs over time and mix and match as it wears out I guess . Would like to try an Xtr shifter

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I would have have stayed with ex1, but the cassette alone costs more than the xtr/xt 11 speed setup.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I would have have stayed with ex1, but the cassette alone costs more than the xtr/xt 11 speed setup.
Thats one good reason, I would never have paid for a new cassette , or durailure
Mine wasn’t worn out , just didn’t have enough gears when I was climbing or riding with the pedalers

Crust E. Skidmark

Nov 1, 2018
'Merica
The new 12 speed stuff I find finicky, at least with the motor. Had to order the pulley gap gauge and a derailleur hanger adjustment tool to make sure everything was in order just get it from ghost shifting. It’s not a perfect setup but it works well enough and offers a nice gear range. I just wonder if the 11 speed sram would have been a better deal as the low end nx I have on my hard tail is simply fantastic and super durable. The b gap is super critical on the eagle stuff so the gauge is a necessity.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Replaced the 8sp and I'm using the 11sp Sram NX derailleur, with a sunrace 11-46 cassette and an old xx1 shifter from my analog bike. Has been working good so far and allot easier to replace parts if needed.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Iam hearing a number of stories of 12 speed chains breaking easily on sram

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
First ride with the Shimano drivetrain, very pleased with the performance. Replaced the hanger for good measure, the original one was slightly bent as suspected. Upshifting under power comes with a satisfying click. Downshifting is equaly as good as there is a nice lever feel for single shifting, although multiple downshifts are available with one sweep.

I'm not sure I like the closer ratios, but time will tell. Some shifts felt like nothing changed, but other times, it was nice to fine tune the cadence.

IMG_20190107_182351(1).jpg

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Iam hearing a number of stories of 12 speed chains breaking easily on sram

It could be the brand chain too. I've found KMC chains to be much stronger than SRAM. The pins are shot peened better so the links don't burst off as frequently as SRAM chains do. At least ive found this to be the case with my regular bikes.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It could be the brand chain too. I've found KMC chains to be much stronger than SRAM. The pins are shot peened better so the links don't burst off as frequently as SRAM chains do. At least ive found this to be the case with my regular bikes.
Yes it could well be , especially as 12 speed is pretty much only sram currently .
I agree we find kmc chains to last and run better than others . Currently using the kmc 11 speed ebike chain , be interested to see how long it will last , it’s certainly strong . I messed up a gearchange on a very steep climb at the weekend and had one of those moments where I thought the chain was going to break , it didn’t , turns out I bent 2 rings on the cassette instead , which I managed to fix ok

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
My Meta Power Essential came with the cheapest SRAM PC1110 chain. I thought the bike will 'explode' since it's not ebike specific but it turned out to be great. After a troublefree 1000km, I bought another one and alternating them in every ~1000km. @3600km neither one reached the 0.75% limit so I see no reason to spend more than 10€ on an ebike chain... :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles