Nico Quere wins WES International Enduro Series on Giant Reign E+ Pro!

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Thanks grandpa,

What's up with the suspension not being the same as their top spec bikes? Maybe not the best press, they (giant) might be trying to shake up the accounts managers at FOX.

Also 11 speed transmission. Do you really think his skinny arse can break a chain?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its commonplace for the bikes that are run by the big teams/pro riders to differ significantly in spec to those that are sold to the public due to either sponsorship deals with the pro team or with the rider

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No, and just because he is sponsored by them I wouldn't assume its a better fork than what the bike comes with.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Copy. It just seems like they would capitalize on their investments; factory riders and the development they bring.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
No fox, no RockShox, no 12v, no carbon frame, no Maxxis, no Schawalbe, no Shimano Bosch or Brose ... we are cheated! Only thing keeps me suspicious is the integrated battery there ... :unsure:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
No fox, no RockShox, no 12v, no carbon frame, no Maxxis, no Schawalbe, no Shimano Bosch or Brose ... we are cheated! Only thing keeps me suspicious is the integrated battery there ... :unsure:
You’ve just hit the “nail on the head!”

Makes you wonder how much bike industry “Kool-Aid” we’ve been drinking... unknowingly.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Copy. It just seems like they would capitalize on their investments; factory riders and the development they bring.
Don’t worry they will. Suntour has been slowly growing their product line over the years. There’s nothing unusual about Suntour or any other brand for that matter to have budget models and high end models. There’s no conspiracy if Rockshox specs the top of the line LYRIC on sponsored race bikes, but then spec a JUDY on an entry level bike.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Its because SR Suntour are Nico Quere's personal sponsor, so he rides their suspension on his bike.
I was just as surprised as everyone else when I saw that he was using SUNTOUR front and rear... I didn't even know that the brand makes rear air-shocks. But my lowly Trance E+3Pro came with a Suntour Aion fork (which Giant dropped on their 2020 model btw). I'm a kiwi so I love a good underdog story.

Here's the thing... if the brand is as inept as we'd like them to be, and only capable of producing crappy forks... 1) Nico won't/can't continue with any sponsor no matter what they pay him, and 2) he most certainly can't win on a sub-par suspension system, that you'd think would break in half just by looking at it.

If anything, this is a testament firstly about the rider (let's not forget the rider) - and to CAD and CNC technologies and the effect it's had on engineering and manufacturing in the last 15-20 or so years.

Giant have also started to produce their own forks and will be spec'd on more and more of their bikes soon.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
SR make a range of high end suspension forks and shocks, you see guys and girls using them on all the world cups circuits.
They are just better known for providing good budget forks on entry level bikes

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Now that's a loaded question.

What do you all think he weighs... 145 lbs? He looks tiny next to that Reign.

Not sure about his weight. Muscle density and appearance are two different things.

But once again, this championship series outcome busts yet another myth about eMTBikes. Giant Trance E+ (and one has to assume the longer-travel Reign E+ as well) have the reputation of being one of the heavier bikes in the market. They have been dismissed on this account in favour of other 'lighter' bikes.

Heavy = Bad
Light = Good

It would seem, weight is not as critical on eBikes as what we've made it out to be.

I'm not saying that a heavier bike will win every e-Enduro race from here on in. Not at all... I'm just saying that weight on it's own doesn't define a good eBike from a bad one. It's a reasonable conclusion.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would think that its still 90% the rider and the rest the bike. If you look at UK Pedalhound Enduro series, which is the biggest emtb series in the UK, the winners are the best riders and and the brand of bike is very much secondary. Pretty sure this years series winner was riding a bog standard Kenevo Comp.

At the top level the set up of the components is as important as the components themselves

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Not sure about his weight. Muscle density and appearance are two different things.

But once again, this championship series outcome busts yet another myth about eMTBikes. Giant Trance E+ (and one has to assume the longer-travel Reign E+ as well) have the reputation of being one of the heavier bikes in the market. They have been dismissed on this account in favour of other 'lighter' bikes.

Heavy = Bad
Light = Good

It would seem, weight is not as critical on eBikes as what we've made it out to be.

I'm not saying that a heavier bike will win every e-Enduro race from here on in. Not at all... I'm just saying that weight on it's own doesn't define a good eBike from a bad one. It's a reasonable conclusion.
Nico says also that he increased the front suspension to increase rake! The Reigns are fairly raked out already.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Nico says also that he increased the front suspension to increase rake! The Reigns are fairly raked out already.
Not sure if that's rider preference or a track specific set-up. If the track is predominantly downhill or uphill, those conditions can affect set-up choices. But it could just be a personal choice to suit physiology structure or riding style.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles