Newbys first thoughts on the jam2 9.6 plus

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
1- It felt heavy compared to my regular bikes
2- I didnt notice the weight after approximately 30 mins into my first ride.
3- range is way better than I expected after reading the threads on here.
4- The seat is shockingly bad so I swapped it second ride for a fabric
5- I could not get my riding position sorted with the og bars so
I now have a renthal fat bar with a 30 mm rise.
6- I mainly ride in eco as everything else seems too much
7- it’s easily ridden when switched off
8- I changed the switch to the 6000 one but note that its construction is no where as sturdy as the og one.
9- I would like to swap the tyres but im no expert so i need to do more investigation.
10- choosing a granny gear when climbing uses less battery power than grinding up hills. ( my local LBS owner has one and also told me this )
11 - I just want to keep riding it !! Its a superb machine.
12- I prepared myself for the haters but all ive had so far are guys stopping me in the forest and asking questions, they all want one apparently!
13- if i could somehow lower the eco assistance level i would.
Any help with the tyres greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have the Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE, ie same bike but with 29er wheels and not 650b+

I agree with all your points, but would add.....
1) The bike feels more than twice as heavy as my 13kg clockwork trail bike, but is only just over half as much heavier.
2) Once I'm riding it, the weight disappears,except when I'm trying to lift the front wheel!
3) Your 30 mm rider bars will be effective at stopping the levers from hitting the top tube, even more important on a carbon bike frame! I moved all the stem spacers to below the bar to achieve the same thing. It was a good job I did because I had an off on Sunday, caused by the stem bolts not being tight enough and the wheel went left and the bars went right. (Lesson 1: Check your bolt tightness on the stem. Lesson 2: ensure that your levers clear the top tube!)
4) I like the Shimnao twin levers for mode shifting, very much preferred to a rocker switch.
5) I had to tell more than a few riders that it was an emtb!
6) People absolutely love the blue colour, darker than the petrol blue one on the website. If you have the darker colour, then the paint you need is Peugot Aegean Blue Metallic. Get it from Halfords.
Paint chip 2.jpg

The Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6 tyres were great for dry trails, but I lacked confidence in them for anything else. There is a great tyre thread on this Forum and many recommend the Maxxis Minion. But I chose the High Roller II 29x2.5 in Wide Trail format, triple compound (3C) Maxx Terra EXO tubeless ready. Yes I know, narrower! But I do not regret the purchase one tiny bit. The grip is great and they roll well too. I decided on the HRII instead of the Minions for two reasons: 1) The Maxxis website shows that the HRII have a slightly wider trail condition envelope than the Minions. 2) I had HR II 2.4's on my YT Capra and loved them. I had a 3C on the front and a 1C on the rear. That combo always allowed the rear to give way first on fast curves. I would have gone for a 1C this time, but I thought that seeing as the motor was powering the rear that I should go for a 2C at least. But I couldn't find one, so I went for a 3C at both ends. Again, no regrets. I weigh 14.5 stone (92kg) in my riding gear and I have 17psi front and 20psi rear.

Final word. Make sure that nothing is touching your pedals or the cranks when switching on the motor.
Absolutely last and final word. Keep the battery charger in the house, not the garage.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
[QUOTE="steve_sordy,
Absolutely last and final word. Keep the battery charger in the house, not the garage.

Why Steve?[/QUOTE]

It's a just-in-case measure. There is a good probability that some of the 2019 4.5A chargers have a fault that means when they are cold they won't charge a battery in a low state of charge. Whenever I've had a problem charging, using a warm charger has allowed charging to commence. It's not just me. (I'm sure you were in on the charging thread?) JE James of Sheffield that supplied the bike are in agreement with me, but so far they have failed to convince Focus. Focus have despatched a new frame battery for further tests. Results pending.

By "warm" I mean normal room temp, ie not below 11degC. The battery can be either the frame battery or the TEC pack battery, doesn't matter as long as the battery has low charge (for the fault to happen). Doesn't matter what the battery temperature is either, as long as it is above zero.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
“Final word. Make sure that nothing is touching your pedals or the cranks when switching on the motor.”
I’ve heard this before Also but I don’t remember reading what the issue is ?

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Why Steve?

It's a just-in-case measure. There is a good probability that some of the 2019 4.5A chargers have a fault that means when they are cold they won't charge a battery in a low state of charge. Whenever I've had a problem charging, using a warm charger has allowed charging to commence. It's not just me. (I'm sure you were in on the charging thread?) JE James of Sheffield that supplied the bike are in agreement with me, but so far they have failed to convince Focus. Focus have despatched a new frame battery for further tests. Results pending.

By "warm" I mean normal room temp, ie not below 11degC. The battery can be either the frame battery or the TEC pack battery, doesn't matter as long as the battery has low charge (for the fault to happen). Doesn't matter what the battery temperature is either, as long as it is above zero.[/QUOTE]

Just had a look at my charger and it’s a 4A one not 4.5 , It came with my 2019 bike , does the same apply ?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Why Steve?

By "warm" I mean normal room temp, ie not below 11degC. The battery can be either the frame battery or the TEC pack battery, doesn't matter as long as the battery has low charge (for the fault to happen). Doesn't matter what the battery temperature is either, as long as it is above zero.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Steve, I asked "why", as I thought it had been established that it was a cold battery that caused the problem rather than a cold charger, it certainly was with me.
I bought a Drifter last November and experienced the charging problem in January and early March.
I have the 4.5A charger which never left the warmth of a centrally heated home but it would not charge the bike battery in the garage after a cold ride. No problem charging the TEC battery which had had chance to warm up in the house. Bike battery also charged up after an hour inside.
Everything ok now things have warmed up but I'm afraid it has put me off ever buying another e-bike without an easily detachable battery.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Just had a look at my charger and it’s a 4A one not 4.5 , It came with my 2019 bike , does the same apply ?
I have not heard of a problem with the 4A charger. I now have a 4A charger, but the weather is not cold enough now to create the problems. I am co-operating with Focus on this one because I don't want to have a repeat of the problem next Winter. I believe it is a batch of chargers, not all of them. But we'll see. Focus will deliver a verdict, in time.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I have not heard of a problem with the 4A charger. I now have a 4A charger, but the weather is not cold enough now to create the problems. I am co-operating with Focus on this one because I don't want to have a repeat of the problem next Winter. I believe it is a batch of chargers, not all of them. But we'll see. Focus will deliver a verdict, in time.
Thanks

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales

I agree Steve, the 4.5A charger seems to be the week link, my point is that you can keep it in your underpants and it still won't charge a very cold battery.

HPR, if you are reading this, did you get your new battery?

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I have a 9.6 plus on order with maxxis minions coming. I had the 6.8 but didn't like the petrol blue colour so have exchanged it for the 9.6. Need to sort out the levers hitting the bars as I had that problem with the 6.8 also.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I have a 9.6 plus on order with maxxis minions coming. I had the 6.8 but didn't like the petrol blue colour so have exchanged it for the 9.6. Need to sort out the levers hitting the bars as I had that problem with the 6.8 also.
This is something I read about before buying, so when the bike arrived I checked.
The bars were set above all the spacers by the shop and there was no issue with the levers hitting the top tube.
I swapped the bars because my position was too stretched out I also ended up fitting a shorter stem .
I’m really happy with the riding position now.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Good to read some encouraging comments re Jam love mine
Only criticism is the derailleur hangs so low but this would be a problem for me on any bike .....gearbox ...where are you?

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Got my 9.6 plus today, it's a beauty! Definitely feels lighter than the 6.8 plus but will defo change the seat for a fabric, other than that very happy with it. Just wondered if the bolt on the front wheel is meant to have a cap on the other side or it's designed like that?
20190416_154851.jpg

20190416_153855.jpg

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
“Final word. Make sure that nothing is touching your pedals or the cranks when switching on the motor.”
I’ve heard this before Also but I don’t remember reading what the issue is ?
Yeah, I made this error today as I had an error reading of W013 which I didn't notice till I got home and wondered why I had hardly any power assist and why the motor was dead quiet. Also a little kid on a bike with stabilizers beat me up a hill which was embarrassing lol.. so i pretty much done the whole ride with the motor off which isn't bad seeing as I'm well unfit. Will need to change the flat bars though as they are uncomfortable on the wrists and will have to get used to the sharp turns on such a heavy bike but got home and was buzzing from the ride.
20190512_144859.jpg

Reactions: S D

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I switched to SQ labs 911 bar with 16 degree sweep and I think 8mmUplift with Ergon GP1 grips sorted out my wrist arthritis well
I do need to find a comfortable saddle for my skinny arse!!
Keep cycling....love that colour
SQ labs 311.JPG
Ergon GP1.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles