Newby questions and dilemma

TurtleMTB

Aug 19, 2019
Utah, USA
Hello EMTB Forums!

I'm looking for some advice and guidance. My wife and I recently won a pair of 2019 Turbo Levo Carbons and are really excited to try them out. Neither of us has any experience with mountain biking or e-bikes so all of this is very new to us. We were going to take the bikes out for our first ride this past weekend when we discovered that most the trials and bike paths near our house don't allow e-bikes. We live in the Salk Lake Valley of Utah and after doing some research it looks like the vast majority of mountain bike trails and bike paths our off-limits to our new bikes. We're going camping next weekend and it doesn't look like any of the trails near the campsite allow e-bikes either.

We were really excited to win the bikes; they're easily the nicest thing I've ever won. I've watched video reviews of the Turbo Levos and there's nothing about them I don't like, but I'm now wondering if we shouldn't try selling them and purchasing none powered mountain bikes that we could maybe get more use out of. We like the outdoors, camping, hiking and were hoping we could just take these out for some leisurely sightseeing in place of hiking.

Can you get around the e-bike restrictions by not using the e-assist?

I'm hoping somebody on this forum maybe lives in Utah and can convince me we should keep our winnings. I'm also hoping for some recommendations of trails we can ride in the area.

Thanks in advance!

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I won't tell you what to do or not to do regarding that. In So CA, we ride in most, not all areas, but most where we ride our non-E bikes. Most of the issues that arise come from other cyclists with attitude. I've heard of a few people that have received warnings, not citations, with one exception where the guy was caught three times by same patrol.

With that said, the federal government is supposedly now putting whatever it is they do on the books to permit all Class 1 e-bikes on national forest land with final authority deferred to local government. That's a huge thing to open more trails if it comes to pass. Your Levo's are Class 1. Meaning pedal assist with top speed assist at 20mph here in U.S.

It's very similar to what it was like when I first started mountain biking in the 80's and into the 90's regarding trail access. But with that all behind us, think this process should move much faster, and hopefully - and encouraging signs - with positive results. It's all absurd really.

I will say this to you since you say you are not experienced with mountain biking. Be courteous out there. Nothing pisses off other mountain bikers more than an ebike racing past them on climbs. If you must run the power on higher levels (and I wouldn't suggest that, especially not until you have a bunch of miles over various terrain under your belts), and pass others, slow down behind them, and let them know you are approaching, and be chill, and make sure you pass when it's all clear. They should be cool with that .. at least most. And if they snarl and make dumb comments, have a nice reply in mind. Telling them you won the bikes should do it..haha. They will be jealous.

I would say just ride unless there's a sign at the trailhead that specifically says no e or no electric bikes, go for it. At some point maybe check in with a local bike shop that sells the Levos and talk to them about it as they will know what's up in your area. And try to be a good ambassador to help in the effort to open more trails.

And congratulations! I can only imagine how many people are lathering at the thought of winning not one, but two Levo's!!!!! That's awesome!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You lucky, lucky person you! That could prove to be a life-changing prize, so much better than mere cash! :)

I can't help with the trail recco, as I live in the UK. But whether you stick with emtb or go with mtb, one thing I can wholeheartedly recommend is to go on an introductory skills course in mountain biking. Riding a mountain bike is not the same as riding a normal bike on the roads and paths. There are basic skills to learn. Then a bit later on, go on another more advanced skills course. You can thank me later. :)

PS: if you decide to sell the bikes, don't sell them locally!

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Congratulations on your win, and I do hope that the "land of the free" starts to live up to that phrase and become a bit more enlightened about e-bikes in quick time so all can enjoy whatever they choose to ride. Let the haters find something else to complain about. We should count ourselves lucky here in UK. Health to enjoy !

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
"Free" is a relative term :)

Mtbross said it best, but I'll add that to me if bikes are allowed on a trail, I'm going. I've gotten warned, snubbed, or hated on but never ticketed. Hate and stupid laws will wear off when a significantly large percentage of bikes on the trails are eMTB riders. If there is ANY reason why my eMTB is really a danger to people or property compared to most unassisted mountain bike riders, I have yet to find it.

If we allow hate and stupid laws to exist without challenge, it's a slippery slope and we deserve what we get.

Having said that, in Utah there is an unimaginably large amount of terrain open to OHV's that is quite entertaining. Some of the best off-road OHV legal trails in the US are in southern Utah, and it's mostly empty of off-road vehicles most of the time.

TurtleMTB

Aug 19, 2019
Utah, USA
Wow! Thanks, everyone. I'm glad I found a forum with such an active community. I had a feeling I was overthinking it a bit. I don't plan on being the fastest thing on the trails and I am looking forward to a new way to enjoy Utah's beautiful terrain. We're going to take the bikes camping this weekend and hope for the best. If the bike trails specifically call out "No E-Bikes" I'm sure there will be OHV trails nearby.

Hopefully, laws and peoples perceptions change soon and we'll be able to ride on most trails without giving it a second thought.

Thanks again for all the advice!

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Oh...one more thing...helmet and gloves, and bell on your handlebar...and when you get more adventurous get some good elbow and knee pads. Like the skills class mention above, you can thank me later too. ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles