Newbie to co2 inflator

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Hi guys, ok so bought a co2 inflator as I run tubeless and thought if I get. Big picture and plug it I can re inflate it. So I take it that it’s a emergency thing only? I ask because I bought in hast thinking it’s a good idea to just use that but reading into it maybe not. So it loses pressure quicker than air and I have also read that you need to get co2 back out and replace it with air, how do you do that? Starting to think this tubeless setup is a pain.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I claim no expertise on this topic, but I can share what I have picked up and I welcome contributions from any with additional viewpoints.

It has been claimed that CO2 interacts unfavourably with latex sealants, making them go off quicker I believe, not sure. That would be why you have read that you have to let the CO2 out (just let the tyre down) and then pump back up with normal air.

As for losing pressure faster, that may be down to the CO2 molecule being smaller than the main component of air, Nitrogen (80% plus). Being smaller, I guess it will bleed out faster though the tyre walls. I can't see bleed-out happening within a timescale that is bothersome, or racers would not use CO2 cannisters. Yes, tyre walls are porous!!

As far as I am concerned, CO2 inflators are for those involved in a race, where seconds count. The demands of vital seconds in a race far outweigh the hassle of emptying and refilling your tyres afterwards.

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Ok so if I had a bad puncture that I fixed with a plug I could pump it back up with a air pump? Even if it was flat and the tyre had come off the rim? Surely then I would need co2 or would that not help in that situation?

also if the tyre was seated on the rim via co2 could I then let the co2 out and pump up with a normal pump?

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Co2 plus adaptor is easier to carry on the bike than a pump........and quicker to inflate a tyre either because of some air loss before the sealant does it job or after complete deflation and repair, or if a repair calls for using the spare tube. Most small handpumps take an age to inflate a 29er/2.4 tyre...........and one that has been strapped to the bike unused for months often fails work just when you finally need it!
The only time I can remember using my Co2 in recent years was for someone else on the trail who failed to check their tyre pressures before setting out!! If I did partially or fully inflate with Co 2 I would deflate the tyre when I got home and reinflate with my stand pump......not a big deal. ( ps it takes 2 Co2 cannisters to inflate a 29er/2.4 to a useable level)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ok so if I had a bad puncture that I fixed with a plug I could pump it back up with a air pump? Even if it was flat and the tyre had come off the rim? Surely then I would need co2 or would that not help in that situation?

also if the tyre was seated on the rim via co2 could I then let the co2 out and pump up with a normal pump?
If the tyre beads remain seated you can use Co2 or a pump to re inflate once repaired with a plug..............if the tyre has come off the rim neither is likely to enable the tyre to re-seat...............so you use the spare tube you of course carry on the bike.

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Ok makes a lot of sense. The thing is I want to carry less not more so I don’t want to carry a inner tube as well otherwise I may as well go back to tubed. I thought you could seat a tyre with co2 then empty it and pump it up as normal?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ok makes a lot of sense. The thing is I want to carry less not more so I don’t want to carry a inner tube as well otherwise I may as well go back to tubed. I thought you could seat a tyre with co2 then empty it and pump it up as normal?
a lot depends on the tyre/rim combination. Some seat easilly even with just a track stand, other require require a compressor or something like the Airshot. A single co2 cannister is unlikely to seat a tyre because it is too small a volume. If you get something like a Gorilla strap it will hold a tube, Co2 tubes and adaptor and tyre levers and even a plug kit plus some patches.........all securely strapped to your frame.....all you need for every eventuality. Use decent tyres ( I use Maxxis EXO+ front/DD rear), and sensible pressures depending on the terrain you ride and punctures ( that dont auto seal) will be a rare occurence anyway.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Mikerb Fascinating! :)
I had not considered using a co2 cannister to blast inflate a tube back on to the rim. It is good to hear that experience says that two cannisters are required. The reason I had never thought of it was that once the tyre was off the rim, I had made the assumption that my mini-pump would never seat it, but I did have spare tubes which it would inflate satisfactorily (proper pain though!)

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Ok thanks buddy. I am running maxxis minion dhf exo+ and dhr rear. I was just looking at worse case by getting a co2 inflator.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
dont know I never weighed them:ROFLMAO:

..........yes you are probably right. I carry 3 though!!

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
16 gram ones are for the road bike wankers who ride 25 kilometres then block the doors at the coffee shop and leave their lights flashing, then sit around telling each other how expensive their gear is blah blah blah.. My town has the biggest population of fuckwitts on road bikes per capita.... middle aged professional fat fucktards who just think they own the road and its their god-given right to be stuck up clueless cunts.. I hate the roadies in my town ... I'm yet to come across one in my town who isn't a complete fuckstick
C
U
Next
Tuesday
Don't hold back.
Hate the Lycra Brigade.
I don't think I've ever agreed with anything on this forum as much.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Small tip is to keep your gloves on when using co2 canisters as they get freezing cold during use

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I use them as I don’t have the patience to inflate my tire with a pump, especially if I’m riding with a group

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
16 gram ones are for the road bike wankers who ride 25 kilometres then block the doors at the coffee shop and leave their lights flashing, then sit around telling each other how expensive their gear is blah blah blah.. My town has the biggest population of fuckwitts on road bikes per capita.... middle aged professional fat fucktards who just think they own the road and its their god-given right to be stuck up clueless cunts.. I hate the roadies in my town ... I'm yet to come across one in my town who isn't a complete fuckstick
C
U
Next
Tuesday

best rant I have seen in ages haha love it

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Forget about tubeless meaning you don't have to carry as much stuff, you stiil need a spare tube, means of inflation & tubeless repair worms, but you should have sealant in the tyre, this deals with most simple punctures and you most likely won't realise you had a puncture, worms seal bigger holes, then the tube works as a last resort.
A bit of extra advice, if you need to fit the tube, check the inside of the tyre before fitting it, you're quite likely to find a thorn or two you didn't realise you'd picked up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles