Newbie Nottingham

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Hi Simon,
Although I’m a newbie too, I’m sure you’ll get plenty of great advice here.

I’ve just ordered my second ebike, a Cube Stereo hybrid 160 AT. I already have a Cube Neutrail fat bike which is awesome in the mud. Personally I think Cube represent great value for money, if you go a notch or two above the entry level you generally get a great spec. Depends how you want to spend, but if you have cash or an interest free Credit card you can exchange the 15% worth of accessories for a discount off list price at Freeborn (I think that excludes offers).

Good luck!

Approvedlunatic

Jan 13, 2019
Derby, UK
Thanks. I like the look of the Trek and also the Focus but will definitely try before I buy. I need to understand about batteries and range a bit more as the focus has the smallest capacity but with the option of second battery.

edson_bsx

Jan 15, 2019
Nottingham, UK
Hi Simon, I'm also new here, and from Nottingham. I've just ordered a Trek Powerfly LT 7.0 from Voltz in Blidworth. I've used that shop for many years and they are absolutely brilliant. If the Trek is of interest I know they have some available for test rides.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a Focus Jam2 and after a 2-hour charge I get a 40 mile range in Eco, 30m in Trail and 20m in Boost. The manual tells me that a 2-hour charge only give you 80% of capacity, but I guess it depends upon where you start from. The manual also says that to get 100% needs a 5-hour charge, so maybe I could increase the range from 40 miles to 50 miles. Not tried that yet.

Approvedlunatic

Jan 13, 2019
Derby, UK
I’ve found a high spec 2017 Focus, brand new, but would need to know if I can update the software so it runs the emtb mode. I’ll keep looking

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm no expert but I thought that the emtb mode was a Bosch thing. My Focus is the 2019 version, with the latest updates done by the LBS and it has Eco, Trail and Boost. That's it. Trail is very flexible indeed, So far Boost is too much.

Approvedlunatic

Jan 13, 2019
Derby, UK
Going to look this morning. It’s probably going to be between the Focus Jam 2 plus pro 2017 or a Trek Powerfly 8 FS LT 2018. They’ve moved the focus from another shop. Both new just older models. Both about £3500 although I am looking at the 2019 Cube as they also stock them, possibly the 140. I’ll let you know what happens

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Good luck.
If it is of any use to you here is my process in terms of prioirites:
1. Suspension quality and type as first priority - As a general rule, go FS not hardtail and relatively good components if you can afford it.
2. Type of bike (trail, allmountain, vs. enduro etc) - you can go for more travel than on a conventional bike, but dont exagerate. If in doubt go for 130-150mm FS trail bike as an allrounder.
3. Motor: For amateurs like me who clime a lot and that is their main goal, Bosch is a good fit. If you do more straights and trails, more people like Shimano, Yamaha and Brose becasue of lower drag and more natural power delivery. TQ is new.
3. Then consider your need for service (direct sale vs. dealer) - if you are a good mecanic and like it, there is money to be saved going direct like Canyon or Thok, but ebikes need service.
4. Finally brands and other components. Personal favorites include Cube TM and Action team models (Stable, great value and spec with Bosch), canyon (direct sale, great spec, agile) and of course the ever present Levo (too expensive for me though). There are many other great brands though

As the always supportive @steve_sordy told me, most importantly try them and make sure they are set up for you. Setup and personal affinity makes a world of difference.

Approvedlunatic

Jan 13, 2019
Derby, UK
First trip out. Cannock, a very wet Cannock. These bikes are awesome. Really impressed, eco most of the ride with a couple of bursts of trail and boost. Doing the uphill switchbacks in anything other than eco is mad as the bike pushes the front end away.
Managed full monkey trail and the round follow the dog. Going back for more soon

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How are you getting on with the Nobby Nics? What width are they?

On my Focus Jam2 I have 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekons and they are OK, but I don't have sufficient confidence in them to really lean into the wet corners yet.

Approvedlunatic

Jan 13, 2019
Derby, UK
I think they are 2.8. Really slippy at Cannock. I’ve got minions on my Bird Aeris and might look at swapping to similar. Everyone seems to be raving about the new eddy currents, if you can find them.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Great choice. The focus was my number #2. It was actually the first ebike that made me want an ebike, as it ride closest to a normal bike. Keep an eye out for me at Cannock Chase and come over and say hello.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles