Newbie advice needed please.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Any e-bike is a good tool for those purposes. Geting fitter , comute , enjoy rides, etc.
About range concerns any 400/500 wh will provide a good range off many hours off riding .
I have a bosh assit model and I still can pedal above level cutoff in flat /descend with no big issues. For the ascendig the motor provides the necessary assistance.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I did 2h 10m yesterday on my (Yamaha PW-X powered) Giant Trance E+2 Pro, mostly on truly awful boggy trail conditions through woodlands, bridleways and cross country. I still had 50% power remaining at rides end after 20.27 miles and 886 ft elevation gained according to Strava (which only tells half the story).

Some moan the Yam is noisy (its not, my tyres rumble way more loudly) and that it drops off assistance at higher cadence, which is true to a degree but is splitting hairs. Where the Yam wins for me is the grunt it provides at low cadence plus its quick to engage and smooth to tail off and decouple, great for a semi-fit/unfit 53YO oaf like me with bad knees who doesn't want to peddle his balls off to get assistance.

Despite initially lusting after a Levo, I'm becoming a real Giant fanboy and love my bike.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Id rather not have a lecture tbh, i dont recall saying i was overweight, or not eating properly?

Im very unfit due to ongoing knee issues, and the last attempt to sort didnt help, so i cant start running again, this is why im looking at starting to ride an e mountain bike.

Essentially in looking at bike that can take me from extremely unfit, and little more than able to ride a bike on the road, to eventually being able to use it to most of its potential :)

The bike im drawn to is the specialized levo as the reports ive read on the brose, it seems the most natural, most quiet, and doesnt have much resistance after 15.5km

I have concerns on the range, as i cant really seem to find anything that tells you potential ranges of it (i understand there are many factors) but it seems like i could get much more from the bosch/shimano going by shop websites, this based on seeing a video of someone getting about 40 miles on 1 battery.

This was the point of my post here, advice and insight really :)

If you like the Levo better, buy it. I test rode a Levo Expert just for fun and it’s a good bike; just not enough better than my current bike to justify the purchase. The Levo works well and is a great looking bike I’d be proud to own.

If the plan is to get more fit, range shouldn’t be an issue; the fitter you get, the more the power comes from you and the farther you’ll go. Range differences in the motors primarily comes from resistive heating, which predominates only when the motor is being operated at high torque. Once you’re fit and riding at lower assist levels, your choice of motor will hardly matter.

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp
Id rather not have a lecture tbh, i dont recall saying i was overweight, or not eating properly?

Im very unfit due to ongoing knee issues, and the last attempt to sort didnt help, so i cant start running again, this is why im looking at starting to ride an e mountain bike.

Essentially in looking at bike that can take me from extremely unfit, and little more than able to ride a bike on the road, to eventually being able to use it to most of its potential :)

The bike im drawn to is the specialized levo as the reports ive read on the brose, it seems the most natural, most quiet, and doesnt have much resistance after 15.5km

I have concerns on the range, as i cant really seem to find anything that tells you potential ranges of it (i understand there are many factors) but it seems like i could get much more from the bosch/shimano going by shop websites, this based on seeing a video of someone getting about 40 miles on 1 battery.

This was the point of my post here, advice and insight really :)

If you like the Levo better, buy it. I test rode a Levo Expert just for fun and it’s a good bike; just not enough better than my current bike to justify the purchase. The Levo works well and is a great looking bike I’d be proud to own.

If the plan is to get more fit, range shouldn’t be an issue; the fitter you get, the more the power comes from you and the farther you’ll go. Range differences in the motors primarily comes from resistive heating, which predominates only when the motor is being operated at high torque. Once you’re fit and riding at lower assist levels, your choice of motor will hardly matter.
Thankyou :)

GBR66

Mar 6, 2022
UK
Shawry - I have only done about 200 miles on my EMTB, had a replacement knee after a couple of sporting "incidents / dislocations" 4 years ago and gave up roadbikes, have an analogue tourer and the new one is a £2k Decathlon E ST 900 (HT) which I have set up as road-trail commuter - changed tyres and gears added rack etc. I love it - Did 16 miles this morning mostly on 1/4 setting with 2 or 3 for headwinds and hills and came back with 80% charge AND I was as fast as when 15 years younger and fitter!!! Maybe do get the one you need to upgrade - have a commuter then keep it and get a "proper EMTB" when you need it for doing that job....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles