New Zealand Mtb

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Ok guys trying to plan a 7 day trip to NZ around 20th Feb next year.
Looking for mainly gravity/DH trails as I’m going with a bunch of paddlers but may break off from them to do a Dayton two of ebiking.

Can any of you suggest what places I should visit.

Thanks in advance!

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
As your NZ correspondent I recommend the following:
  1. Queenstown - Gondolas, and A-grade DH trails shaped by the gods, doesn't get any better
  2. Rotorua- You could spend 7 days in Rotorua alone! more enduro than DH focused but epic riding.
  3. Christchurch - new bike park with a chairlift - 'good' riding more groomed DH riding.
  4. Nelson: lots of riding here, might not be DH focused. more about long climbs and technical decents

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
That’s sounds excellent thanks!
I was doing research before and was overwhelmed by the amount of riding there in in NZ.
I’m taking the Kenevo but the pedlers are doing DH bikes.
I’m more enduro/intermediate DH, back won’t handle the proper DH anymore.
I like smooth jumps/berms and was wanting some climbing mixed in to make taking the ebike worth it.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
As far as i know, the Christchurch Adventure park won't let the bikes up the chairlift with the battery in.
Best track I can think of for sessioning on an ebike would be Rude Rock at Coronet Peak in Queenstown - lots of smooth berms with a sealed road for the climb
ride-down-coronet-peak.jpg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Feb will give you some excellent runs on the South Island hills that are snowed in over the winter.

Auckland has 440 MTB Park that has decent DH track to run a National.
Rotorua has lots of fun, flowy gravity trails that are not quite DH level but pretty damned cool.
Wellington area has Makara Peak & Wainuiomata with some nice Grade 4 & 5 trails.
Nelson just has all sorts of shit hot trails.
Christchurch has been mentioned.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
How ate you getting the battery over there?
I’ll either hire one or buy one.

Feb will give you some excellent runs on the South Island hills that are snowed in over the winter.

Auckland has 440 MTB Park that has decent DH track to run a National.
Rotorua has lots of fun, flowy gravity trails that are not quite DH level but pretty damned cool.
Wellington area has Makara Peak & Wainuiomata with some nice Grade 4 & 5 trails.
Nelson just has all sorts of shit hot trails.
Christchurch has been mentioned.

Oh sweet!
I’m excited!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
You only have 7days?... don’t fall into the trap of trying to go and ride every where. Otherwise you can end up using 2 or 3 of those precious days in transit and stuffing around relocating.

Think things through - and prioritise. Do you want to see as much of NZ as possible or do you want to ride as much as possible?

If it’s the latter, I would be inclined to stick to one destination (that also has other tourism appeal/activity) and stay there. If this were to be the case, my first pick would be Queenstown. Second would be Rotorua.

There’s plenty of videos on YouTube about these two destinations. First check out the tourist facilities, then check out the riding facilities.

Just my 2 cents...

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I managed to do Queenstown/Skyline bike park and Rude Rock at Coronet Peak (using Queenstown bike taxi service), whilst on honeymoon early this year!

Fantastic riding, even bumped into Bernard Kerr who is local to me back home!

Worth dropping a line to Queenstown bike taxi service, they were friendly/helpful.

This will get you in the mood.. (Coronet Peak)

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I managed to do Queenstown/Skyline bike park and Rude Rock at Coronet Peak (using Queenstown bike taxi service), whilst on honeymoon early this year!

Fantastic riding, even bumped into Bernard Kerr who is local to me back home!
You found time to MTB on your honeymoon? :giggle:

Rode the Queenstown Skyline for the first time (Easter weekend early this year). On the way up the gondola I met two guys, one from the UK and one from the USA. Both WERE tourists when they first arrived about 4 years ago. They both never left! They gave up their jobs back home and have been riding almost daily ever since. Apparently the family of the guy from the UK had been pleading for him to come home. I wonder if he’s your mate Bernard? :unsure::unsure:

Fair warning @Christian :cool:

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
I'm off to Queenstown on Monday, not taking the E-MTB however. Riding bike park for the majority of it but also venturing out on some shuttle days to rude rock etc.

This is a major bucket list item been ticked off. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. I'll let you know what it's like when I get back.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
You only have 7days?... don’t fall into the trap of trying to go and ride every where. Otherwise you can end up using 2 or 3 of those precious days in transit and stuffing around relocating.

Think things through - and prioritise. Do you want to see as much of NZ as possible or do you want to ride as much as possible?

If it’s the latter, I would be inclined to stick to one destination (that also has other tourism appeal/activity) and stay there. If this were to be the case, my first pick would be Queenstown. Second would be Rotorua.

There’s plenty of videos on YouTube about these two destinations. First check out the tourist facilities, then check out the riding facilities.

Just my 2 cents...

Hahaha this is why I’m here guys, I’ve already done some research and it seems I need like a month or two to just see all the trails let alone sightsee.

A heap of my brothers mates are going up with there Enduro/DH bikes for 2 weeks to Queenstown. Not sure if they’re going anywhere else but the two main places I’ve always wanted to see were Queenstown and Roturua. I will only be going to ride so not interested in sightseeing this time.
I will be taking my ebike up so I will take a blanking plate with me just in case I can’t ride the gondolas.
Battery I am sure I can sort out something there. Maybe even a factory NZ speed limit upgrade!
Will I be happy with just one of those parks or should I do both?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Spent a week in and around Queenstown this March, utterly incredible place.

We rented e-bikes and went to 7 mile bike park, link below:

7 mile Bike Park

Perfect for e-bike riding, lots of twisty rooty singletrack climbs and descents, tons of trail options at difficult skill levels and utterly empty. You can ride there from Queenstown in maybe 30 mins, about half road half track.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
With only a week Queenstown is probably the best base as you can also go to Cardrona at Wanaka
images

and over to Alexandra from there easily (less than an hours drive to either)

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
During peak season tho?? We toured the South Island last year in January and turned around once we got to Q-town, it's just sooo busy. couldn't even imagine the drive to Milford which is a prick even when it's quiet
its not unusual for the road to Milford to be closed due to snow in the winter. The rest of the year its pretty much constantly "peak season"

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
With only a week Queenstown is probably the best base as you can also go to Cardrona at Wanaka and over to Alexandra from there easily (less than an hours drive to either)
Makes sense.

BTW @Christian , if you're planning to hit the Skyline DH rides at Queenstown - full face helmet and knee pads are strongly suggested. They're not strict enough to enforce this, but it's generally frowned upon if you head up with a bike without the right safety gear. If you don't want to do that, there's lots of other trails nearby within driving (or bike taxi) distance.

Below: I took this photo from the shops/cafe/restaurants looking at Skyline gondola all the way to top. It's THAT close to town!
Queenstown 01.png

Below: View from the top of the gondolas looking down onto Queenstown. This is pretty much what you see before you start your runs. I only did the Grade 2 DH tracks - nice and flowy, should be easy on your back. Your mates can hit the black diamond tracks if they want... but there's endless other track grades in between if you want more buzz.
Queenstown 02.png

If you want to ride in Rotorua, I'd say just go Rotorua and don't piggy back it off Queenstown which is in the South Island.

Rotorua also has a Skyline gondola DH bike park, but not as big. The Whakarewarewa Forest is where you want to go - and it's free. There's a pretty decent bike hire at the car park - eBikes too. You have to get a phone app GPS map or hire a guide to ride along with you - you can get lost in there. Grade 2 to 5 trails, plus some DH chutes too here and there... an no snakes, or any wild animals that wants to attack or eat you. lol ;)

Rotorua is in the North Island and arrangements to travel there (with your bike on hand) after Queenstown, plus re-accomodation - could take the best part of a day, or maybe two if there are stuff-ups on your flight. Seeing as you're planning to be here end of February, I'd check the International Crankworks calendar too. It's held around March every year. Rotorua just goes insanely biking mad when Crankworks is on! And the weeks leading up to that, there may not be accomodation left for ya. So fitting in Rotoru after Queenstown may not be doable anyway.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't do Queenstown AND Rotorua. You just need to say goodbye to your friends and family, leave your job, and extend your stay indefinitely... :giggle:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Makes sense.

BTW @Christian , if you're planning to hit the Skyline DH rides at Queenstown - full face helmet and knee pads are strongly suggested. They're not strict enough to enforce this, but it's generally frowned upon if you head up with a bike without the right safety gear. If you don't want to do that, there's lots of other trails nearby within driving (or bike taxi) distance.

Below: I took this photo from the shops/cafe/restaurants looking at Skyline gondola all the way to top. It's THAT close to town!
View attachment 22003

Below: View from the top of the gondolas looking down onto Queenstown. This is pretty much what you see before you start your runs. I only did the Grade 2 DH tracks - nice and flowy, should be easy on your back. Your mates can hit the black diamond tracks if they want... but there's endless other track grades in between if you want more buzz.
View attachment 22004

If you want to ride in Rotorua, I'd say just go Rotorua and don't piggy back it off Queenstown which is in the South Island.

Rotorua also has a Skyline gondola DH bike park, but not as big. The Whakarewarewa Forest is where you want to go - and it's free. There's a pretty decent bike hire at the car park - eBikes too. You have to get a phone app GPS map or hire a guide to ride along with you - you can get lost in there. Grade 2 to 5 trails, plus some DH chutes too here and there... an no snakes, or any wild animals that wants to attack or eat you. lol ;)

Rotorua is in the North Island and arrangements to travel there (with your bike on hand) after Queenstown, plus re-accomodation - could take the best part of a day, or maybe two if there are stuff-ups on your flight. Seeing as you're planning to be here end of February, I'd check the International Crankworks calendar too. It's held around March every year. Rotorua just goes insanely biking mad when Crankworks is on! And the weeks leading up to that, there may not be accomodation left for ya. So fitting in Rotoru after Queenstown may not be doable anyway.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't do Queenstown AND Rotorua. You just need to say goodbye to your friends and family, leave your job, and extend your stay indefinitely... :giggle:

Thanks for all the advice,

Firstly I always wear full face, arms/legs regardless where I ride. I get too excited riding and forget my limits which usually ends in me wreaking myself. So I’ve put a self imposed armour rule regardless of trail.
I’m ok with that as I like my limbs, bones and face intact.

I forget there’s both a North and South Island. I just looked it up on maps and yeah quite a distance.
So Queenstown it is! Will have to do a second trip to Rotorua if I decide to come back to Melbourne.

I think by the sounds of all these posts it doesn’t matter where I go I will love it.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Alexandra has lots of trails up behind the clock. Really good e-mtb territory there and the weird bonus of thyme everywhere you ride, the dust even smells of it. Cardrona bike park is my fave and where we normally head for lift access. One of the best things is there's no trees to smash into as it's a mountain top snow field. The next best thing is it's not in the middle of a super busy town centre full of loopies, so no long waits for the lift.

Farmernz

Jun 18, 2019
Alexandra
Alexandra has lots of trails up behind the clock. Really good e-mtb territory there and the weird bonus of thyme everywhere you ride, the dust even smells of it. Cardrona bike park is my fave and where we normally head for lift access. One of the best things is there's no trees to smash into as it's a mountain top snow field. The next best thing is it's not in the middle of a super busy town centre full of loopies, so no long waits for the lift.
These guys are great, Phil that takes the tours is fantastic.
Altitude Adventures - Mountain Bike Tours - Central Otago - New Zealand

ryturn

Sep 12, 2019
Australia
Ok guys trying to plan a 7 day trip to NZ around 20th Feb next year.
Looking for mainly gravity/DH trails as I’m going with a bunch of paddlers but may break off from them to do a Dayton two of ebiking.

Can any of you suggest what places I should visit.

Thanks in advance!
hang for an extra week and go to Crankworx ,first week in March at Rotorua, not only do you get to see some the planets best riders on DH ,Slopestyle , Pump Slalom and massive whip off but its a demo feast of eees , all the majors with loads of bikes to play on......Besides that New Zealand is just the best.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Looks like I need to do more research or just leave my life behind.
Thanks for the input people, keep it coming.
Might have to just pay one or a few of you to guide me around.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Cardrona bike park is my fave and where we normally head for lift access. One of the best things is there's no trees to smash into as it's a mountain top snow field. The next best thing is it's not in the middle of a super busy town centre full of loopies, so no long waits for the lift.
I really wanted to ride Cadrona, but ran out of time - and my wife had made such a tight holiday schedule. We took the ferry down and did a road trip all over the South Island (drove 3000kms in 10 days). Ten days is not long enough!

Oh by the way, it was Easter weekend by the time we got to Queenstown and the Skyline closed the MTB lifts from 10am onwards because too many tourists were heading up for the Luge rides. The place was packed! I got in early, but I noticed a few riders cycling up the service roads on e-Enduro bikes. They didn't look out of breath for a pretty decent climb. I guess eBike riders will NOT be denied... lifts or no lifts!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I forget there’s both a North and South Island. I just looked it up on maps and yeah quite a distance.
So Queenstown it is! Will have to do a second trip to Rotorua if I decide to come back to Melbourne.
I think by the sounds of all these posts it doesn’t matter where I go I will love it.
Here you go Christian... I scanned it off the brochure I took home with me. The map is more up-to-date than the one they have in the Skyline website... it's a high res scan so it should enlarge a bit more if you click on it...

Skyline Queenstwon Map.jpeg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Here you go Christian... I scanned it off the brochure I took home with me. The map is more up-to-date than the one they have in the Skyline website... it's a high res scan so it should enlarge a bit more if you click on it...

View attachment 22120

Oh wow, there’s a few tracks there.
I see what people mean about spending days riding.
I like it!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles