New Yamaha PWX-2 Motor and 600wh Battery

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Seems it's not more compact than the old pw-x, unfortunately. Haibike will supposedly offer more bikes with Yamaha for 2020. Will be interesting to see if it's all internal batteriet.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Seems it's not more compact than the old pw-x, unfortunately. Haibike will supposedly offer more bikes with Yamaha for 2020. Will be interesting to see if it's all internal batteries.
Haibike probably have to offer options based on the new Yamaha and/or Bosch motors given the delays to the Flyon. Given the huge weight of those bikes they also need something lighter for those riders who don't just want an uphill monster truck….;)

Last edited:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
IIRC Sam Pilgrim like the Yamaha motor models best out of the Haibike range
Seems his brother, Cardy and Guarnieri do too. But the 2-3kg lower bike weight may be just as important as the Yamaha motor.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Some English language content on the new Yamaha motor...

New Yamaha 2020 ebike motors – PW-X2 and our first ride impressions | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Yamaha PW-X2 - manufacturer homepage

Seems like they finally worked out an adaptive mode was needed (not sure why they needed a hill detection sensor when Bosch and Shimano seem to be able to do it based on cadence and rider torque alone), but if it's the same hardware I guess it will be the same noise levels...

Nice improvement; good torque at high cadence makes this motor a strong contender for my eBike dollars.

The writer of the article complains about the instantaneous torque??? That’s the best feature of the motor.

The angle sensor is probably an accelerometer; I’ll bet that it can’t tell the difference between a standing start and going uphill. I would expect the bike’s adaptive mode has the side effect of giving a little extra kick on the road starting out at intersections in city traffic.

janik3

Jul 12, 2019
EU
I wonder, which bike brands except Haibike will use yamaha motors in 2020, because all new models for 2020 (till today) have bosch or shimano motors. I want full e bike, so what can I choose in 2020? Haibike (which came with few models with bosch motor this weekend), maybe Giant (not original yamaha motor) and...?

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I wonder, which bike brands except Haibike will use yamaha motors in 2020, because all new models for 2020 (till today) have bosch or shimano motors. I want full e bike, so what can I choose in 2020? Haibike (which came with few models with bosch motor this weekend), maybe Giant (not original yamaha motor) and...?
I am quite sure 2018 and 2019 Giant was using Yamaha motor but with their battery, their display and their software. I would assume it will be similar in 2020 but i have no info. Where are you? Here in Quebec i find Giant chainstay a bit long, i am happy with my 2017 Haibike all Yamaha but looking for maybe an Efatbike. The importer was not offering all Giant Emodel in 2019.
My plan B would be going with Bosch but only if many reports are trouble free. I want Reliability.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe

I’d like to see Yamaha make their own full-suspension eBike; I parking-lot tested their hardtail which was pretty nice.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I am quite sure 2018 and 2019 Giant was using Yamaha motor. I find Giant chainstay a bit long,

My mate has a Trance 2 and with that motor and chainstay length, he can't half climb some steep stuff on it.

Personally, I couldn't cope with the constant loud 'growl' that engine emits.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Electric Mountain Bike YDX Torc | Yamaha E Bikes

Chainstay length is listed as rear center of 455 millimeters. I think that the reason that I liked the bike was because of its short reach; 617mm ETT in the large is what I prefer. I doubt that it’s much of an improvement over your current bike.
I was curious so i searched, that model is not for me in 27 i like wide/plus or 29 but there is hope, like maybe a fat? Thanks

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
My mate has a Trance 2 and with that motor and chainstay length, he can't half climb some steep stuff on it.

Personally, I couldn't cope with the constant loud 'growl' that engine emits.
Firstly the motor only growls at low cadence. At higher cadence you hardly hear it. Similar loudness as Shimano just a growl vs a low pitched whine.

Secondly my Trance-E +2 climbs where all other bikes stopped climbing or started flipping over.

The Trance-e has a relatively long chain stay which makes its front heavy and difficult to lift. I moved my seat right back and replaced my standard fork with a Suntour Duralux 36 Boost 29 R2C2. I now have a bike that still climbs very well with a lighter front-end and improved stability and much higher stack. I'm still running the fork at 150 mm because it doesn't even come close to bottoming out in even the hardest hits and is super refined in the small bump absorption. I also have the option now to fit a 29 inch wheel in front should I want to.

We ride 3 Giant Trance-e's +2's in our group, 3 Merida E 160's and a whole bunch (more than 20) of Turbo Levos.

The Shimano and Giant Motors are about equal in noise and battery usage whereas the Levos depending on battery is also pretty much on par. The Turbo Levos are really nice bikes and very silent but very unreliable. Most of the Levos had their motors replaced and an alarming number of them multiple times with one guy now on his 4th motor.

We don't have guys on Bosch but the older motors were prone to bearing and plastic gear failures. The new motor seems nice and compact but the tests I've read and watched indicate that it has a ratting noise like a loose chain. Too early to know if they will last like the Yamaha and Shimano motors.

So in the final analysis your choice if you buy a bike will depend on your style of riding. Giant in standard trim is a great downhill bike and exceptional climber while it needs to be manhandled in the tight stuff. Once you've mastered that it rewards you with a planted front-end. Most people end up lifting the front a bit in some way or another either with raiser bars or raised stems. As far as value for money is concerned it kicks ass.

If you want a more playfull bike the Meridas, old and new are great bikes as well as Canyon.

The Shimano motors are really good and there is software that you can tune it almost unlimited.

My brother had a Turbo Levo and now has two Merida e160's, one a 900 e with DI2 and he just bough the new 2020 e140 Carbon, which is identical to the e 160 except for less travel. The rear shock he has internally adjusted to 160mm by removing a spacer and he replaced the air spring in the front with a 160mm so now it is a e160 as well. The reason was that we don't get the e160 in South Africa. His feeling is he'll never buy another Turbo Levo as a result of the unreliability despite the fact that Specialized has great support and they keep replacing the failing motors.

In South Africa we have a speed limited to 32 kilometers vs 25 in the UK and Europe. Brose, Yamaha and Shimano goes there and beyond without any perceived drag. Specialized is the most silent with the others on par. Bosch was known for the drag past the limit but according to tests this is no longer an issue.

My best advice is to go and ride all the bikes that you are keen on. Then read all the forums to see what people complain about. Once you decided what to short-list make a decision based on what you want and what you can afford. There is no eBike that won't please you except maybe an unreliable one and if you buy the right bike and there is something that is not 100% to your liking after a while you can always do some upgrades. By that time you will know what it is that your bike doesn't have and absolutely needs.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Jirkovo

Dec 8, 2018
Olomouc Moravia Czech republik
I am quite sure 2018 and 2019 Giant was using Yamaha motor but with their battery, their display and their software. I would assume it will be similar in 2020 but i have no info. Where are you? Here in Quebec i find Giant chainstay a bit long, i am happy with my 2017 Haibike all Yamaha but looking for maybe an Efatbike. The importer was not offering all Giant Emodel in 2019.
My plan B would be going with Bosch but only if many reports are trouble free. I want Reliability.

RAYMON TrailRay E-Seven 11.0

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles