New wheel required??

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
My free hub body decided to part ways with the wheel today, photo below...
Does this mean a new wheel is required? ?
IMG_20200620_172840.jpg
IMG_20200620_173410.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
no dude. you've snapped the axle
a new axle and bearings should get it running again
I only say bearings need replaced as you need to remove one to fit the new axle.
it may be possible to remove and refit without damging the bearing but I'd just replace the two main hub bearings while it's stripped

was there not a thin washer between the freehub body and bearing?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
no dude. you've snapped the axle
a new axle and bearings should get it running again
I only say bearings need replaced as you need to remove one to fit the new axle.
it may be possible to remove and refit without damging the bearing but I'd just replace the two main hub bearings while it's stripped

was there not a thin washer between the freehub body and bearing?

Thanks, I've got the part of the axle out of the freehub but should the other part that's still in the hub body just slide out?

Also, I don't remember seeing a thin washer... I've had it apart before as the pawls were stuck closed as it was full of gunk, I put some new springs in (stupid tiny things) I don't remember seeing a washer then either. It seems a crap design to me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks, I've got the part of the axle out of the freehub but should the other part that's still in the hub body just slide out?
Not entirely sure. There's a good chance the bearings probably hold that portion of axle in place. and if that's the case you'll need to drift the axle out taking one bearing out the hub shell with it. it should be fairly obvious if that's the case.
Also, I don't remember seeing a thin washer
some hubs do, some don't. i replace bearings on so many different hubs other than the most common hubs I forget which ones do/don't

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Not entirely sure. There's a good chance the bearings probably hold that portion of axle in place. and if that's the case you'll need to drift the axle out taking one bearing out the hub shell with it. it should be fairly obvious if that's the case.

some hubs do, some don't. i replace bearings on so many different hubs other than the most common hubs I forget which ones do/don't

Cheers, I thought some persuasion would be required.

I found three other posts online with the same issues with this freehub, seems like it's a very cheap one, as I've already had issues with mine and not having the correct tools and know how to repair mine, I'm wondering it it's worth getting a LBS to look at it or even replacing the wheel... (last resort)

I assume that the drift is something that fits the size of the axle so you can force/hit it through?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I assume that the drift is something that fits the size of the axle so you can force/hit it through?
Yeah. that's all a drift is. If you have a socket set you can probably find a socket the right size, stick it on an extension bar and tap it out. a proper hub support tool is handy but you can improvise.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Yeah. that's all a drift is. If you have a socket set you can probably find a socket the right size, stick it on an extension bar and tap it out. a proper hub support tool is handy but you can improvise.

Well I've now removed the axle, I used the other broken off piece to tap it out.

The bearings seem fine although as you've probably noticed, I'm no expert...

So I now need something like THIS as a replacement?

I'll owe you a drink if I can sort this myself (with your help) ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
no mate. you need the DT Swiss axle for your hub
any decent LBS can order from Madison (the UK distributor)

If you can find the hub model yourself you may well be able to buy the axle from an online retailer

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
no mate. you need the DT Swiss axle for your hub
any decent LBS can order from Madison (the UK distributor)

If you can find the hub model yourself you may well be able to buy the axle from an online retailer

My wheels are Raceface, photo of old axle below...
IMG_20200621_141059.jpg

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles